• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

corrupted cd

Yes there is :yes...

Go to the Alpha 9 thread and it has the install instructions for the Light version ;)

Actually, I think Captain Maggee's suggestion of installing Build 14 Alpha 10 Full on top should work.
You might end up with some more files than you need, but I reckon it should work.
And it's easier than step-after-step-after-step.

But I already have most of the setups downloaded. My boradband is (annoyingly) limited to 20gig a month, so I'd rather not download alpha 10 full, which I assume is massive.

Alpha 10 Full is 1.36 GB. It is not easy to upgrade from Alpha 8 to Alpha 10.
In fact, the Alpha 9 Light installer you'd need for that is not available anymore.

You could install as per these instuctions:
1 - Install Build 13 Final (if you haven't done so already)
2 - Extract the Build 14 Alpha 9 Full file on top of your game and allow it to overwrite all files it wants to
3 - Install Alpha 9.5, following the instructions in the installer and allow it to run RunMe.bat
4 - Install Alpha 9.5 Patch 4
5 - Install Alpha 10 Light, following the instructions in the installer and allow it to run RunMe.bat
6 - Check if there still is a RunMe.bat in your main game folder and, if so, run it manually
7 - Install the Build 14 Alpha 10.1 Patch
8 - OPTIONAL: Tweak the controls and the game's settings to your liking in the Options menu
9 - Start a new game, select a storyline and ENJOY! :woot

Test if the game runs between all steps. Make sure you do this on a COPY of your working Alpha 8 installation.

Wow my broadband is limited to 15 GB and I downloaded it... (Secret is treat yourself to something once a month xD:)

Ok, so after making a copy of the game, I started installing the mod. After installing alpha 9, I ran Runme.bat, but a lot of files failed - it couldn't find them. Is this ok? I'll carry on, since I have a backup, but I'm a bit worried whether it'll work.

As per our FAQ ( http://forum.piratesahoy.net//index.php?/topic/14915-build-mod-and-forum-faq/ ):
4. The RunMe.bat file is giving "file not found" error messages. What's wrong?
Usually when it gives an error message about missing files, it means the files it was trying to move are already where they needed to be or the files it wanted to remove were already not there. So that's nothing to worry about.
Test your game after each new modpack edition installed as per the instructions.
As far as I know, things should work out fine if you follow those instructions. :yes

ok, after installing 9.5 patch 4, I have a "Pirates of the Caribbean" folder INSIDE my game folder. But it DID ovewrite other files... What's this?

What's this? WEIRD! If all those files ended up in a subfolder, put them in the regular folder instead.
Then run RunMe.bat again. What path did you install to?

Ah. Crap. they're from alpha 9.5, and I have already installed the patch. Does this mean I need to start all over again?

The installers sometimes tend to append to modpack name to the path when you change it from the default.
For example, if you select "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean", it will automatically change it to
"C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean\Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons", which is NOT good, of course.
Try installing Build 14 Alpha 9.5 Patch 4 again and after you selected the path, check what it is.
If it did indeed append the modpack name, remove it manually from the text in the white bar and then reinstall.

Alternatively, take all files from the subfolder, put them in the main folder and overwrite everything.
Then run RunMe.bat. If RunMe.bat did run after the installation, it might have already removed itself.
In that case, you really need to reinstall A9.5 Patch 4. Deselect the "Run RunMe.bat" checkbox
at the end of the installer to make sure you keep the file and can run it manually if necessary.

ok, it's installed, and I'll try playing it when I get back from work. The config file isn't working, saying I'm missing engine.ini or options file. I definately have engine.ini, so?

Not you too? I hate that error message; I just don't understand it. :modding

Back