• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Corsairs Legacy Teaser

The Nameless Pirate

Just a pirate
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Public Relations
A teaser for the upcoming pirate game "Corsairs Legacy" by Mauris has just released.

header.jpg

Corsairs Legacy - Pirate Action RPG on Steam
Corsairs Legacy Pirate Game 2021 Official Website

Is this on Storm Engine? Cause the fighting animations look very similar to AOP/POTC.

From: Анонсирована Corsairs Legacy — духовный наследник «Корсаров». Релиз игры состоится в три этапа
Translation from Russian with help from my father.

The Corsairs are making an unexpected return in the form of a new game, Corsairs Legacy, which promises to be the spiritual successor to the famous series. The development is carried out by the Mauris IT company, which independently finances the project and plans to release it in three stages. We tell you what is known about the game at the moment.

To begin with, it is worth saying a few words about the developers of Corsairs Legacy. Mauris is an IT company with offices in Ukraine, Russia, Germany and Kazakhstan. She specializes in the development of websites, mobile applications and CRM systems for third-party clients. At the same time, the studio also has its own game, the free-play adventure Save the Pirate: Sea Story.

At the same time, it seems that the project is being born on the fragments of the Corsairs gaming community. The fact is that Mauris has a YouTube channel, where videos about the games in the series have been regularly released over the last time.

Actually, the very idea of creating the Corsairs Legacy just arose after communicating within the framework of one of these videos with Yuri Rogach, who worked on the Corsairs series, starting with the second part. Since Rogach himself estimated the likelihood of new "Corsairs" appearing at no more than 3%, Mauris decided to make it on its own.

By the way, Rogach believed that the new "Corsairs" would not appear for a number of reasons:

• niche product and lack of the required fan base;

• the need to make three games in one: RPG, sea battles and open world;

• bankruptcy of Akella;

• the need for large investments;

• lack of a ready-made development team.

Mauris herself decided not to try to make a big AAA game right away and split the project into three parts. They will be released gradually and will focus on one of three aspects of the gameplay. The developers promise that after the release of the first part of the Corsairs Legacy, the team will work with feedback and release patches every month.

Corsairs Legacy Roadmap

• The first part of the game is a ground-based RPG on a modern engine. The release will take place in 2021.

• The second part of the game is a land-based RPG + naval combat simulator. The release is scheduled for 2022.

• The third part of the game - all the previous aspects of the project + open world. The release is scheduled for 2023.

Other Corsairs Legacy details

• The Corsairs Legacy takes place in the 17th century. In the story, Captain Blood became the governor of Jamaica, and the main protagonist of the game will be the former smuggler Jack Rackham.

• Development is carried out on the Unity engine. The team now uses purchased 3D character models instead of handcrafted ones. There are currently 32 of them.

• Mauris independently finances the development by investing the funds earned from its ongoing projects.

• Before starting work on the Mauris project, I talked with the key developers of the Corsairs series. The studio promises to take into account the mistakes of previous games.

The game page is now available on Steam.

Recall that in 2018 there was a conflict between the Black Sun Game Publishing (BSGP) studio, which was developing Corsairs: Black Mark, and Dmitry Arkhipov, the co-founder of Akella. It was linked to the rights to the Corsairs franchise, but in the end the court sided with BSGP and ruled to terminate trademark protection.

The other day there was another incident indirectly related to the "Corsairs". The build of the canceled game "The Adventures of Captain Blood", which was developed by the studio "1C: Sea Wolf" and was supposed to become the spiritual successor of the series, has leaked into the network. Who exactly publicly leaked the project is still unknown. Not long before that, a review of the game based on the resulting build was even published on the DTF portal.

According to my father, who is learning Russian in his spare time, the above article seems to say pretty much the same that this Russian video by Mauris themselves does:

If all goes as planned, we should be getting an official translated version by @Volodymyr some time in the near future.

I don´t think that it´s so much important that Corsairs Legacy would be a Sea Dogs titled game as long as they use the same setting with a better engine and modern graphics.

These games were always a mixture of Sea Dogs and Corsairs sequels:

Sea Dogs has received a number of sequels, most of which do not bear the same English title due to legal reasons. The first sequel, Sea Dogs II, was renamed Pirates of the Caribbean when Disney acquired the game in mid-development. Despite being marketed as a tie-in to Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, which was released around the same time, it is largely unrelated to the plot elements of that film.

The second sequel, Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales, is a direct sequel to the original Sea Dogs. The title was changed because Akella wanted to create a brand name that they could control, rather than their publisher.

Two indirect sequels would follow: Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships and Sea Dogs: To Each His Own in 2009 and 2012, respectively. Caribbean Tales and City of Abandoned Ships would eventually be digitally re-released on GOG and Steam in 2017 under the original Sea Dogs title.

Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales, known in Russia as Corsairs III (Корсары III), is a video game developed by Akella. Due to legal issues, it does not bear the name of the developers' previous pirate games Sea Dogs or Pirates of the Caribbean. Unlike Pirates of the Caribbean, Age Of Pirates was developed with the intent of serving as a true sequel to Sea Dogs despite the name change, and chronicles the story of the children of the main character from the original. The sequel of the game was released on May 26, 2009 titled Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships.

Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships (Russian: Корсары: Город потерянных кораблей, literally "Corsairs: City of Lost Ships") is a role-playing video game developed by Akella, which was released on May 26, 2009. It is the sequel to Sea Dogs (2000), Pirates of the Caribbean (2003), and Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales (2006). Like Caribbean Tales, it does not boast either of the two former games' names, due to legal reasons. It was later followed by Sea Dogs: To Each His Own in 2012.

For my taste they were all good games and the titles or developers never really made a big difference to me.

I just wish they were the same thing and the game had Sea Dogs in the English title for simplicity's sake.
As far as I understood from @Volodymyr, that is not possible for legal reasons.
I believe the "Sea Dogs" trademark is now owned by BlackMark Studios.
And Mauris is not BlackMark Studios.

Personally, when I first heard the name, I made @Volodymyr promise to NOT change the title.
This game deserves FINALLY paying honour to its Russian roots, where these games were always named "Corsairs".
It is only in "our" Western world where things got wonky; with confusing title-changes left, right and centre.

And the "Legacy" part I like as well. It reminds me of another game I am VERY much looking forward to:
Hogwarts Legacy
That promises to be AWESOME too! :woot

The one thing that does make me a tiny bit iffy on the "Corsairs" name is that, according to the Jack Sparrow Handbook:

"CORSAIR: The term corsair can be applied to both French privateers and Islamic ones -- the latter having marauded across the Mediterranean from the Muslim nations of North Africa, attacking Christian ships. Both sets of corsairs were populated with a range of sea-rovers, from villainous to valiant. Lord Byron immortalized the corsair in his epic poem of the same name."

As far as I understand it, the "Corsairs" games were never particularly French-centric.
And Mediterranean influences were most CERTAINLY not there.
Let alone heavy "Muslim-vs-Christian" elements.

That said, a pirate game set in the 1500's(?) in the Mediterranean sea could be ABSOLUTELY FASCINATING!
This could be a VERY adult game; with deep philosophical themes, rather than the usual fast-paced action and general role-playing.

Same goes for one set in Asia.
Which could LITERALLY have "Pirates vs. Ninjas"!
And so there'd be an excuse to really turn up the Stealth; as well as perhaps be MUCH more action-heavy than the ones set on the Northern Hemisphere.
Good opportunity to take a leaf out of all those Chinese and Japanese films and animations, merge them together and really confuse the crap out of everyone.

Also, I found this news already posted on another website!
A pirate saga in three parts: a mobile game development studio presented the spiritual heir of the "Corsairs"

as long as they use the same setting
How do you define "the same setting"?
All I can think that to mean is "The Caribbean".
But that's kind-of a given.
Anything else...?

For my taste they were all good games and the titles or developers never really made a big difference to me.
While I myself have only ever really played one game of the entire series, based on everything that I have heard, they are all very, very good.
The main differences that I see are that Sea Dogs (2000), Pirates of the Caribbean (2003) and Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales (2006) were all created by Akella.
I have recently purchased hardcopies of each of the missing games, specifically so I can hopefully check how much they share the same creative teams.

"City of Abandoned Ships" and "To Each His Own" were made by Seaward.Ru and BlackMark Studios, respectively.
These started both as modding communities; same our own PiratesAhoy! Community.
That does not make these games either "better" or "worse"; but it does give them some sort of different status.

For me anyway...

How do you define "the same setting"?

I ment the gameplay and could never enjoy pirate games with a different one till today.

While I myself have only ever really played one game of the entire series, based on everything that I have heard, they are all very, very good.
The main differences that I see are that Sea Dogs (2000), Pirates of the Caribbean (2003) and Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales (2006) were all created by Akella.
I have recently purchased hardcopies of each of the missing games, specifically so I can hopefully check how much they share the same creative teams.

"City of Abandoned Ships" and "To Each His Own" were made by Seaward.Ru and BlackMark Studios, respectively.
These started both as modding communities; same our own PiratesAhoy! Community.
That does not make these games either "better" or "worse"; but it does give them some sort of different status.

I myself played them all and it never made it big difference to me if they came from Akella, Seward.ru or BlackMark. I liked them all because each one of them had it´s own charme at the moment they were released, no matter of the status. The only wish that i had during the years of release was a more stable engine and a more modern graphic and that shall come now with Mauris. Couldn´t be better for me.

Only for my taste...

Last edited by a moderator:
I myself played them all and it never made it big difference to me if they came from Akella, Seward.ru or BlackMark. I liked them all because each one of them had it´s own charme at the moment they were released, no matter of the status.
Good attitude, if you ask me! :cheers

Back