• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Crash when starting the game

The TAR file was never replaced though.
But the EXE was.
Ah yes, got that mixed up. :facepalm

Here's what really happened, on ModDB I only uploaded the ZIP file.
The TAR and EXE files were already up to date.
On NexusMods I updated the EXE, plus I uploaded the ZIP file.

I suppose that was you.

The date it was updated is before I even made an account here. ;)

So I tried to install the latest patch, because I have not played in a while, but now I cant launch the game after the patch is installed I get an error involving the xinterface, and I get a engine.exe errors aswell I have tried to use the old XINTERFACE.dll and old engine.exe and still get the same error. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would love to be able to launch with the latest patch!!

So I tried to install the latest patch, because I have not played in a while, but now I cant launch the game after the patch is installed I get an error involving the xinterface, and I get a engine.exe errors aswell I have tried to use the old XINTERFACE.dll and old engine.exe and still get the same error. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would love to be able to launch with the latest patch!!
Hi! From what version did you install the latest patch and how did you install it?

If it's just an update from @Grey Roger 's fix, you need only to extract that archive to your game's main folder where the ENGINE.exe is located at.
Also, try to upload your .log files when reporting stuff like this.

*This might be moved to its separate thread.

I suppose that was you.
I updated the ModDB EXE? I have no memory of that.
There's also no record of it that I can see on the ModDB side.
Pretty sure 2016 was just the original upload date.

Really should've upped the number to Beta 4.1 or something for clarity's sake...

(I'm not sure anymore what idea the correct date to put the ZIP on.
But @Grey Roger would know.)
If you mean the zip named "post_25May_updates.zip", it's for the 25th May version. ;)

If you go to my main FTP section...
Index of /potc/Grey Roger
... you can find some older fixes archives. If you're using an installer from 2016 then you could try:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_jul28_fixes.zip
That should bring the game up to the way it was in January 2017, since the installer from that time was based on the 2016 fixes archive.

But for preference, I'll echo the recommendation to get the NH installation files from:
Mod Release - Build 14 Beta [Last Update:2nd September 2020]
A lot has changed since 2017 - more bugs fixed, more new stuff added.

Or, if you're patient, wait a few more days and watch Mod Release - Build 14 Beta [Last Update:2nd September 2020] for announcements - I intend to release a new update this week.

I've moved it to another thread about much the same problem.

The patch "post_25May_updates" is for the 25th May installation. If you are using an older installation then it will indeed probably break the game.

Reinstall the stock game from the PoTC CD's. Then install the Build Mod using the files from here:
Mod Release - Build 14 Beta [Last Update:2nd September 2020]

That should get you the most up to date version of the game, including the installation for which the patch is intended.

Hi! From what version did you install the latest patch and how did you install it?

If it's just an update from @Grey Roger 's fix, you need only to extract that archive to your game's main folder where the ENGINE.exe is located at.
Also, try to upload your .log files when reporting stuff like this.

Runtime Error

Program: E:\.......POTC\Engine.exe

abnormal program termination

that’s what I get after I install the update, I just extract it into the directory with the exe and replace the existing folders it asks too.

Runtime Error

Program: E:\.......POTC\Engine.exe

abnormal program termination
Do you have an error.log in your main game folder?
What does it say?
What do the other .log files say?

Just to be certain: In what folder are you installing the game?

Looking at the date of your previous posts (2017) I suspect your install may not have been done with the latest Part 1 (which is 2018). If so it would not be sufficient to just use the extra fixes over the top you would need to use the part 1 and 2 from the top of the latest mod file to get the May 2018 version first.

EDIT IF your save game is from an earlier version it is probably going to be incompatible ENDEDIT

What does it say?

I will have to try installing it again, I didn’t see any logs, doesn’t mean they’re aren’t any, I will have to reinstall it and try again, but I just don’t want to loose my save game, at the moment.

What does it say?

this is the only error I am seeing aside from the abnormal termination!
COMPILE ERROR - file: characters\characters.h; line: 46
define redefinition: PASSENGERS_MAX

Attachments

• error.log
    94 bytes · Views: 135
If you mean the zip named "post_25May_updates.zip", it's for the 25th May version. ;)
Ah! That's indeed the answer right there.

Does that mean there was a new EXE on 25 May 2020? Or does that refer to 2019?

Could it be that the ModDB file is out of date?
This link says "Updated: Jul 3rd, 2018": https://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/downloads/build-14-full-installer
That doesn't sound right.

My game is installed in my "Games harddrive" under Pirates of the Caribbean.
Sounds like a safe place. So that shouldn't be the problem.

That definitely confirms an installation error of some kind though.

Please try reinstalling using this executable:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/Build14_installer_25052018.exe
My suspicion is that there is a different one in use...

@ijzzbloc: This applies to you too, since you've got the exact same error.

If you have that error you are NOT using a version successfully created by the 21 May 2018 installer (ie the latest one) because it moves that code from there to globals.c. (I have just bothered to redo an install to confirm that since we seem to be getting more than one report with this problem). So the latest fixes is NOT compatible.

The confusion may in part arise because that installer has been replaced at the top of the thread during the life of the thread so if you're not watching what you are doing you miss that an earlier install taking the part 1 from pre May 2018(from the same thread) is now no good with the fixes.

Last edited:
Ah! That's indeed the answer right there.

Does that mean there was a new EXE on 25 May 2020? Or does that refer to 2019?

Could it be that the ModDB file is out of date?
This link says "Updated: Jul 3rd, 2018": https://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/downloads/build-14-full-installer
That doesn't sound right.

Sounds like a safe place. So that shouldn't be the problem.

That definitely confirms an installation error of some kind though.

Please try reinstalling using this executable:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/Build14_installer_25052018.exe
My suspicion is that there is a different one in use...

@ijzzbloc: This applies to you too, since you've got the exact same error.

A little bit confusing but i will try to reinstall again.

Back