• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Bug Crashing more frequently; win 10, gof 1.4beta

JesusJuice42

Landlubber
My game is crashing now more frequently then before, with the "Engine has stopped working" windows looking for a solution crap. It was crashing very infrequently last night, i played for hours and hours around 4+ straight until it finally did crash randomly (the whole time i was running Prime95 in the background too). I could deal with that. No changes, when to bed, I have been getting them much more frequently, almost like every 20 min, once it was less then 2 min as my next "scene change" did it in.

I then tried running in win 7 compatibility mode sp3 or whatever, turned down to 264 bit color, and I thought I was golden. Then 20 min or so later it crashes.

Note: I have been running it in 1920x1080p by making that simple change in the config (extent of my programming skills lol). I have yet to change it back to test it for 2 reasons; the game looks pretty good at that resolution, my computer should have more then enough graphics and cpu processing power to handle the mod and game (right?), and i forgot what the original values of the configs default resolution was.

My perception is it seems like the errors are getting more frequent as my charactor has progressed. Are their any other workarounds? I really don't want to make a new file. If I do I'll probably try the new TEHO on steam (though I wont hold my breath).

After looking through the forms im wondering if this issue is already known and if 1.5beta fixes it or at least extends the time until the Engine fails? Would falling back to patch 1.3 possibly help?

Im running windows 10 64bit
AOP2 GOF 2, patch 1.4beta
i5 4690k OC to 4.6
Two HD6950's crossfired 2gb vram
8gb memory

Dxdiag

If you type "event viewer" into the start menu, you can find out exactly what crashed. Custom Views->Administrative Events and find the event corresponding to your last crash. It will tell you what module the game failed in. Sometimes it's start.exe, sometimes it's a dll file.

If the game usually crashes when you're doing a particular thing, we can probably guess which module failed. There's probably nothing we can do about it, it's just useful information, but you never know.

Hook

Thank you very much for that event viewer information! Never knew it existed lol.

This is what the event viewer is telling me:
Faulting application name: START.exe_Akella ENGINE, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x4902fdf5
Faulting module name: GEOMETRY.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4902eb62
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00001458
Faulting process id: 0x2e60
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2917e195c1d35
Faulting application path: C:\Games\AOP2\Sea Dogs - City of Abandoned Ships\START.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Games\AOP2\Sea Dogs - City of Abandoned Ships\modules\GEOMETRY.dll
Report Id: e2604942-034d-4cd8-8783-e526411217d7
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

each crash report is basically the same but the report Id changes

Is there really nothing that can be done? Perhaps a way to at least increase the time between crashes? At the very least, I hope this information proves useful. Let me know if there is anything else I can provide that may help

Thank you for your time!

GEOMETRY.dll is really all the information we needed, and the fact that it always crashes in that dll file tells us that something is wrong with a model. Might be a ship, might be a town, might be a specific location, might even be a character.

At least we can be fairly certain it's not your computer or any of its settings. If anyone knows differently, let us know.

Stock COAS basically never crashed on me. I did get crashes in New Horizons, and maybe once in TEHO with geometry.dll reports. Whatever it was, it didn't happen all the time, but usually happened when I changed locations. One thing that's reduced crashes to almost nothing in TEHO is waiting a few seconds before taking any actions that changed locations. Give the game time to stabilize and get everything loaded.

Let me know if this helps.

Hook

Yooo, so is it possible that the GEOMETRY.dlll issue could be fixed in patch version 1.5b?

By the way I also happen to be Ledzepp429 from the Steam post about TETO's PIRATES skill point allocation topic. I do really want to play this game, I just want to be able to allocate my pirates points, AND not have GEOMETRY.dlll scene crashes every 5 min. CANT I JUST HAVE MY CAKE AND EAT IT TO!?

btw I tried letting the game chill for a few seconds, but the issue for me is that it usually crashes during the loading screen between scene changes, so i cant really chill out more then im already doing praying the scene change wont hiccup.

Last edited:
Back