• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Custom "Dynamic Interfaces" behaviour for Woodes Rogers/The Gold-Bug

Jack Rackham

ex train dispatcher
Quest Writer
Storm Modder
When openeing a box I don't get any item names displayed any longer.

In system log I have this:
Code:
Can't init font INTERFACE_NORMAL
can not init start font: interface_normal

Does this mean I have lost some fonts? Maybe when resetting my computer to an older date?

What is this doing in the Bug Archive? Time to move it out, I suppose. ;)

When openeing a box I don't get any item names displayed any longer.
Check if you have "Dynamic Interfaces" on or off in the game's Options menu.

In system log I have this:
Code:
Can't init font INTERFACE_NORMAL
can not init start font: interface_normal
Does this mean I have lost some fonts? Maybe when resetting my computer to an older date?
We've had that message forever until @Levis found the fix here: Fix in Progress - Various Problems in System.log | Page 2 | PiratesAhoy!
But then I took that fix out of Beta 4 again simply because it never did any real harm, but having the fix IN meant forcing everyone to set their resolution after every update. :facepalm

When I redo the main archive for the Beta 4 public release, it'll go back in though.
If it is IN the archive, then we won't have that "resetting every time" issue.

Okay, dynamic interfaces on displays item names in the open box interface.

There must have been a change here some time ago though.
Now I get text on items also when openening my inventory. I made an exception for WoodesRogers
which now doesn't seem to work. Earlier I always used dynamic = off.

I did indeed make a change there a few weeks back because that toggle didn't fully do what it was intended to.
That was prompted by a report of a strange crash which seemed to be related to it.

At least it is internally consistent now again.
If you would like to see the behaviour change, please let me know how you'd like it.

In my quests I would prefer not to have item names shown on top of the pictures, when opening the inventory. Else it's ok.
If dynamic have to be on/off doesn't matter for me.

So you WANT to have the names not showing? Specifically for your quests?
We could add a StartStoryline.c override that disables Dynamic Interfaces in Woodes Rogers and The Gold-Bug if you like.

Yes, in inventory I find it only annoying. In itemsbox interface it's of some use.

Yes, in inventory I find it only annoying. In itemsbox interface it's of some use.
Riiight.... So to prevent any confusion, what changes exactly would you want to see made for your Storylines?
Have the "Dynamic Interfaces OFF" behaviour in EXCLUSIVELY the F2>Inventory screen?

In that case I can't make it a simple "Woodes Rogers disables Dynamic Interfaces" toggle.
Would need to be something custom.

I'll be happy with any solution that not gives the names in inventory screen. But in itemsbox etc.
Not sure how it worked earlier.

It worked earlier by there being bugs and unfinished/missing code.
Was more of an accident than anything else.

The absolute best for me would be static interface on => texts only in inventory interface.
Dynamic interface makes so weird things happen with the player and his surroundings while
opening a chest.

In the game in general - for chests where you pick up items the static interface would be preferable :yes - if it is not possible to fix the long standing bug in the dynamic interface that causes the "strange graphics" .:modding

Though I know it will probable be considered a backward step. ;)

:drunk

Attachments

• PotC Interface-Dynamic.jpg
    PotC Interface-Dynamic.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 202
  • PotC Interface-Static.jpg
    PotC Interface-Static.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 187
In the game in general - for chests where you pick up items the static interface would be preferable :yes - if it is not possible to fix the long standing bug in the dynamic interface that causes the "strange graphics" .:modding
Why don't you make a poll to see what people want? If I know what to do, it can be done.
But if it isn't certain what changes are needed, I won't spend my time doing it just yet....

At least for now it is in theory doing what it was always meant to.
So then the big question is: Is this actually how we WANT it?

I'm working on this now. For starters, I'm adding this in GoldBug.c and WoodesRogers.c:
Code:
AddStorylineVar(n, "DYNAMIC_INTERFACES", "1");   // PB: Override default "Dynamic Interfaces" behaviour
And then introducing a new function:
Code:
int DynamicInterfaceLevel()
{
   if (sti(GetStorylineVar(FindCurrentStoryline(), "DYNAMIC_INTERFACES")) == 1)   return 1;
   if (bAnimation)                                   return 2;
   else                                       return 0;
}

This should have the following effects:
- Animated backgrounds still listen to the MAIN toggle and aren't overridden by the storyline
- Legend in the Archipelago Map Interface also remains unaffected (ON with Dynamic Interfaces, OFF with Static)
- Items (Inventory) & Passengers Interfaces: Show text only if Dynamic Interfaces ON and OUTSIDE Woodes Rogers/The Gold-Bug, so NEVER shown in those storylines.
- Itemsbox (Transfer) Interface: Transparent background still listens to the MAIN toggle and isn't overridden by the storyline
- Itemsbox (Transfer) Interface: Show text only if Dynamic Interfaces ON, but have this ALWAYS on during the Woodes Rogers/The Gold-Bug storylines.

In other words, the differences for Woodes Rogers/The Gold-Bug is that:
- Inventory and Passengers Interfaces NEVER get text
- Transfer Interface ALWAYS gets text

Does that sound about right? I'll include this in the next upload, but it'll need to be tested to check that it does what I think it does....

Back