• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

custom emblems

How do I create and install a custom emblem for my sails. I looked at the directions on the change sails menu but they were a little confusing. Does anyone know how to do it? thanks

First off, take a look at the "Retexturing" tutorial posted by Keith at the beginning of the modding section of this forum. That is a good start to learning what to do.

You would need a good image editing utility like Photoshop or PaintShop Pro, that can create images and save them as .dds files.

Then you would need the tx to dds converter available in the modding section ("Tools of the Trade"). You'd also need to convert back from dds to tx eventually. I am unsure if the Akella tool does this but the ones I have (not the Akella one) do.

Open up this file: POTC/RESOURCE/Textures/Ships

In there you will find the sails - they all begin with the word "parus" or "kam"

Take one of those sails and convert it to .dds so you can open it in your image editing utility. Open it, edit to your heart's content, then save it as a .dds with DXT 3 or 5 with MIPS maps.

MAKE SURE you save it with a different filename - you don't want to overwrite an existing sail.

I suggest you make your custom sails in black and in white, torn and not, so there will be four textures altogether that you will need to edit.

Now... To get it into the game, you will have to edit

POTC/PROGRAM/INTERFACE/kam_selectsails.c

Also you will have to edit

POTC/RESOURCE/INI/interfaces/pictures.ini

You will need a good text editor to do this - notepad will do, but don't use wordpad or Word... I use UltraEdit, it's a free download `45-day` trial at http://www.ultraedit.com/

Anyhow, just add your sails - if you understand what you're looking at you'll see where...

Again, make sure you make copies of any files you edit so if you need to go back to the beginning, you CAN! :facepalm

If you download Kieron's PA! sails from the PA downloads section, you can unzip that and see exactly what I'm talking about in regards to what you need to text edit by comparing the original files to Kieron's... That should do it for you.

HTH! And have fun!!! :)

That would explain some of the "oddities" I've run across... :facepalm:

Nice to see your smiling face, Cat! :)

Try using The GIMP as an image editor, Rico, I think that's a free download and you won't have to crack it. :facepalm

Thanks, Mad Jack... I haven't been able to be here much, lately and it's nice to be among such quality pirates again. :) :shock:

well i did it by converting the plain sails from tx to tga and then put my image on their and then named it parus_pirate_15 which is the one with the viper on it and converted it back and replaced the old parus pirate 15. that probbaly sounded confusing :cheers

It can be easier if you alter an existing sail and keep the same name - if you don't mind losing an existing sail style.

Just edit the image file and put it back into the game. All the code will still be there, but the image will have changed.

You can get the LView Pro demo online, also the Paint Shop Pro 8 Demo is good for two months :)
<span style='`font-size`:14pt;`line-height`:100%'>When the time expires, just set the date on your coputer back</span>

'at be no worries Cat.after we kick their sorry arses,we can split de loot an drink der rum,probably not as good as what we can make.Har! :woot

Back