• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Damage Model

ronlosey

Freebooter
Storm Modder
Couple of "issues", or bugs, suggestions or whatever.

Seems we are still suffering from rapid-fire guns. The 24 pound carronades on my schooner, rated at 70 seconds, were clear down to under 25 second reload. That was gun skill about 9, and full crew with pretty high morale ... but 25 seconds? 24 pound guns? I can't reload a bloody musket in 25 seconds, much less get four or five guys coordinated enough to reload a freaking cannon - it's absurd. They're a lot better than they were (down to 5 seconds or whatever that number was), but another 20 seconds wouldn't hurt.

I had a question/comment on the other thread about using the critical hit formula to calculate hull damage. I figure that we could set hull damage so low normally that only critical hits would do significant damage to the hull. The other rounds should still carry the same damage on crew and rigging, and the same odds of knocking out guns, but it would give a really random factor to hull damage of every round. In a full broadside at point blank, it could average out about where we want it now - but just one or two rounds might or might not do much of anything, or could accidentally be pretty painful. It's the same logic as masts and guns being knocked out, only with hits to load-bearing beams. Thoughts on that?

Fire is still kind of freaky, with the "fire drill". There was discussion of this earlier, but we never did make anything of it, because bugs going into build 13 had everyone preoccupied.

I may be pushing these points a lot, but creative output on computer game mods is one of the things I do to combat depression - and I feel pretty low right now. Sorry about that.

Anyway, thoughts on these?

<!--quoteo(post=172696:date=Nov 20 2006, 08:39 AM:name=Ron Losey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ron Losey @ Nov 20 2006, 08:39 AM) [snapback]172696[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Seems we are still suffering from rapid-fire guns.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Look in InternalSettings.h for the line:

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->#define RELOAD_TIME_MULTIPLIER 1.0 // FLOAT - Cannon reload time scalar.  2.0 will make cannons take twice as long to reload<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
... and adjust it upwards as you see fit.

You might also want to look in BuildSettings.h for:

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->#define CANNON_DAMAGE_SCALAR 0.5<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
... which will allow you to scale back the damage balls do to the hull.

Hook

Back