• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Death Scene bypass

Westley

Landlubber
Hello all!

I like the tavern room scene and the possibility of continuing a game even after you "die", but for those of us who would rather skip that and just get back to where we last saved I propose the following:

Before the death scene movie, before the words even come across the top of the screen about the angel saving you, why not have a dialog box pop up asking you if you would rather Continue or Load a Savegame? We could even have it load the savegame that is most recent.

Any thoughts?

Aside:
I know I'm putting a lot of ideas out there without much in the way of me doing anything about bringing them about, but all in good time. Just want to put them out there for now.

I reckon something like that could be quite possible.
I, for one, would welcome it. I always reload my save if I die anyway.

Okay, this one is really getting on my nerves. How do I work on this?

I would think that the first thing to do would be to interrupt the death scene initiation. That means I need to find out where it starts. Can anyone help me find the file I'm looking for? I'll start looking but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Have a look in PROGRAM\seadogs.c at the GameOverE() function and the functions following that.
You might be able to initiate a "self dialog" instead of the current game over function and then continue to:
a. Current game over function
or
b. Load menu
Depending on what option you select. Should be fairly doable, I reckon. :yes

Okay. I'm not familiar with this code language, or any code language. How do I initiate the dialog right after death, and how do I link the options to their respective locations: Load Menu or Resurrection Process

?

The dialogs are in PROGRAM\DIALOGS; have a look at, say, the Malcolm Hatcher dialog file from the tutorial
and see if you can understand a bit what it does. Once you understand the dialogs a bit, we can continue. :doff

Maybe it would be better to implement a switch in BuildSettings which would allow player to decide about game's "death behaviour" - wether it should be a resurrection, opening load interface or loading most recent save.

pirate_kk

At the risk of putting the cat amongst the pigeons, the death/tavern scene was INTENDED to be an integral part of the game.

The player “dies”, but rather than the game ending, he/she has the opportunity to work his way back into the game, hopefully wiser than he/she was before, albeit bereft of some of his stuff etc.
It becomes apparent, in most cases, that additional skills need to be obtained, or if present, be improved. It is in fact part of the learning curve of the game.

I do agree with Pirate_KK, however, that if changes are to be made in this respect, that they should be an option that can be set PRIOR to starting the game.
Otherwise I can see it as a game spoiler, and become quite aggravating, if the option comes up every time a player is killed in game.

Actually, why are we even talking about this?
From BuildSettings.h:
Code:
// GENERAL MODS:
// ======================================

int DEATHRATE = 1;
// Chance of dying(= game over) after shipwrecks and lost fights
// Choose a value between 1(certain survival) and 130(certain death)
// After survival you will be down and out, so it is a new challenge and no cheat!
Just set that to 130 (through Advanced Options) and you'll be kicked to the main menu instead of being resurrected. :facepalm

Good find? Stupid forgetfulness, more like! :shock
I should've remembered that right when this was first mentioned. :modding

i actually kind of like that you have to start over from scratch, makes it kind of interesting, and its good for roleplaying purposes too :) but it is kind of annoying when i lose a good ship or something :D

You loose your equiped gun and sword plus money and also your ship gets damaged when you get saved by the tavern girl... If you change the number the probability of being saved decreases

If you like being saved and able to continue play, then don't disable it. ;)
We're just talking about it, because some people don't like it.
But since there's an option for it, everyone can set it to his/her liking. :yes

You can disable ALL videos in the Advanced Options menu.
You could also remove that one video by removing the code for that.
I'll tell you how if that's what you want.

Back