• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

destroying the fort

aaarrrgh

Landlubber
I'm trying to complete the Engish mission, and right now am before the guns of Santiago (again... :urgh ) I've got the fort guns down to about 85/125 (or so)after about 1500 cannon balls being expended, but I've taken probably too many casualties to successfully accomplish the ground battle. I've got a good gunner, too. Before I reload the save to the beginning of the battle, are there any hints so that I can get on with the game. I brought a line ship w/ 54 24 pounders, plus a frigate and a corvette that did little more than amuse the Spanish gunners by running into each other, and then coming in nice and close to the fort's batteries. Any clues would be most appreciated. :hmm

Arrr aaarrgh! :cheeky

Fred Bob done took him Santiago by approachin' from overland via de jungle! :onya

Instead o' 1) beat de fort, 2) fight IN de fort, an' 3) fight in streets, ye 1) fight outside de towne gates and 2) fight in de streets! ;)

Ahoy Fred Bob! Thank you for your answer- Since my last post I had FINALLY knocked out enough of the fort's guns to land my 500 men. Apparently, however, the Spanish garrison of almost 2000 troops(so I found out afterwards!!)was just waiting for me - we got slaughtered... :urgh So, after stifling the initial impulse to take out the game disc and destroy it, I decided to check this forum to see how you guys all seem to be able to take forts w/o much sweat. I read your advise, Fred Bob,and didn't bother wasting more shot on the fort, but went ashore as soon as I arrived from Port Royal-- And forgot that I needed to "think" to invite me troop into battle. After another forum consult I remembered what to do, and "captured" the governor. After three restarts to be able to escape the awaiting "surprise" offshore, the mission is finally done. :facepalm whew!

Aye, aaarrrgh, de 'surprise' afterward be challengin' fer sure, matey! :onya
It be worth replayin' dat part o'er an' o'er until ye manage tew capture de Battleship, which be carryin' 800,000 gold an' udder good treasure! :will

Aye, aaarrrgh, de 'surprise' afterward be challengin' fer sure, matey! :onya
It be worth replayin' dat part o'er an' o'er until ye manage tew capture de Battleship, which be carryin' 800,000 gold an' udder good treasure! :will

That's just nasty of you to tell me now! :urgh Actually- Now that I know ... I'll replay the mission again sometime, only with more powerful ships and large experienced crews :sail This time, the only way I got away was because I had landed the the overland invasion at the lighthouse, and on the forth reload, trying to escape slaughter, all their ships showed up on the other side on the lighthouse peninsula, allowing me enough time to run away, a la Monty Python's Sir Robin! :woot

Yeah, that mission was hard as hell. I didn't want to let that Spanish captain get away, so I had a hell of a time fighting those ships with just one corvette (which, admittedly, was the Dog of War, but still).

If i remember correctly i raided that city on foot wich is much easier than fighting fort, but you still need lots and lots of man. I used MOW for this.

Back