• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Low Priority Dialogue freezes to screen if talking close to a door

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
In the smallish captain cabin of a Lugger/sloop style vessel, one of your officers often stands near the door. If he randomly talks to you immediately upon your entering the cabin, his dialogue will freeze on the bottom of the screen, and you won't be able to get rid of it even after leaving the cabin.

I've only seen this once, given the low chance that ai randomly speaks to your player without the player initiating, so it isn't a high priority bug or easy to reproduce. I also neglected to get a screenshot or saved game at the time, wasn't thinking.

Reporting just in case it is obvious what is going on or can be easily fixed. I would say this is low priority otherwise.

I've seen dialog screens that won't go away before.
But I don't remember it triggering like that....

Was able to get the bug to trigger again. This time upon exiting the captain's cabin and entering the main deck.

Attached save (entered port where I could save, dialogue screen still on save screen, not sure if it is preserved on load). Seems to trigger on ship whenever an officer talks to you right away after you change scenes.

Attachments

• -=Player=- Barbados. Speightstown port.rar
    587.4 KB · Views: 130
This is from Build 14 Beta 4 WIP: 2 Apr 2016.

I noticed a problem on the ship deck occasionally when I'd try to talk to a crew member (to allow time to advance 3 hours for a weather change, I've been done a lot of that), and if I was near the cargo hold "door" I might end up in the cargo hold with the game hung. Nothing I tried would fix it and I had to alt-tab and force the game to close.

While that could be bad, I could avoid talking to anyone when near a door, but it still bit me. I'd gone to the crew quarters to advance the time, and immediately upon returning to the deck one of my officers started a dialog while I was still right at the door. This caused the game to hang.

My ship is a gaff schooner, the green one. The problems have happened mostly when on the deck of that ship where you can talk to your officers or crew.

It looks like the game thinks you're in a dialog.

As far as I know, this will probably happen any time you are close enough to enter a door and initiate a dialog, or have someone talk to you spontaneously.

There is a situation in Sea Dogs: To Each His Own where you are accosted by a character the moment you go through a door, and I noticed the door had a "locked" indicator on it until you moved away and went back again. This would be a possible fix, but I don't know where to look for it in the code.

Hook

Strange that I have never seen this. There are a few places in my storyline in which someone talks to you while you're next to a door. Most of them are in town but at least one is in a ship's cabin. Generally I lock the door, not because I'd ever heard of this bug, but to prevent the player from exiting again before the dialog has happened, which wouldn't crash the game but would probably foul up the storyline. The door is unlocked when the dialog is over, unless I have another reason for not wanting the player to leave that area right away.

@Pieter Boelen it's probably similar. I don't know if I've seen dialogs freezing like that in this game or if it was in TEHO, but I have seen it.

I had an officer talk to me twice the moment I emerged on deck in my last game, but didn't get the game hang. Oh goodie, that means it's an intermittent error, the most fun kind. :(

It's not just a timing problem from just emerging on a new location, it's happened many times after I went to the deck from port and walked back to talk to a crewman.

@Grey Roger if you tell me where to look to see how you did that, I can see if I can research the problem on my end.

Hook

If you play the "Ardent" storyline, and get as far as escaping from prison, rescuing the crew and returning to town, one of your officers or crew will talk to you as soon as you enter the town, therefore right by the town gate. There are a couple more scenes later on in which guards talk to you as soon as you go through a door or town gate. And there are a couple of scenes much later on in which someone talks to you by the door of your cabin. These are all scripted dialogs as part of the storyline. I've played through those scenes lots of times and never once had a game hang.

The problem may therefore be to do with whatever generates the random dialog of crew and officers aboard your ship, rather than dialogs next to doors in general. But even there, the worst I've seen is the dialog box being stuck on screen permanently. Saving and reloading game tends to get rid of that - the last time it happened was a long time ago so I'm not sure now if I had to quit and restart the game before reloading the savegame. The game didn't hang, though - it was just a nuisance trying to do anything else with the dialog box splattered across the screen.

Back