• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Disney Buys Lucasfilm Ltd!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
Yup, you read the title correctly Disney has purchased Lucasfilm Ltd, thus completing George Lucas's trip to complete insanity, and in the process giving us endless Disneyfied Star Wars sequels! The only good thing that I can see coming out of this is maybe Disney is finally done with screwing over pirates, and can now concentrate on perfecting Lucas's slide to mediocrity, and bulding the next Disneyland attraction: The Kessel Run! Which will of course be overun with Ewoks!

Adding another marquee pop-culture property to its roster, Walt Disney Co. has agreed to pay $4.05 billion to acquire the company that controls the blockbuster "Star Wars" franchise — allowing Disney to exploit the brand through film, television, consumer products and theme parks.

With the purchase of Lucasfilm Ltd., Disney plans to churn out new "Star Wars" movies every two or three years beginning in 2015 with "Star Wars Episode 7," Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger said in conference call with analysts late Tuesday.

The acquisition surprised rival studios, especially 20th Century Fox, which has released all of the live-action "Star Wars" movies since the 1977 original. Executives at Fox and other studios said they weren't even offered a chance to bid for Lucasfilm, the San Francisco company founded and owned by filmmaker George Lucas.

But it's unlikely anyone else would have paid more than Disney, which can make use of "Star Wars" characters throughout its sprawling media and consumer empire, analysts said. Disney already has "Star Wars"-related attractions at four theme parks.

"No other company is as well positioned to take advantage of this opportunity as Disney is," said RBC Capital Markets analyst David Bank.

The acquisition is another high-stakes gamble for Iger. Since taking the helm in 2005, he has transformed Disney from a company that developed and produced its intellectual property in-house to one that spends billions to buy popular characters. The Burbank company purchased Pixar Animation Studios in 2006 for $7.4 billion and Marvel Entertainment in 2009 for $4 billion.

You can read the full story HERE!

When I first saw that news, I thought it was a joke. Turns out, it is real. While I don't see any particular harm to it, I do wonder how it will all play out.
It's a weird development to be sure and I have to wonder... why? Lucas can't possibly have needed the money, so it must have been for a different reason, no?

They've had a collaboration for a long time already, with Star Wars and Indiana Jones stuff in the theme parks.

I saw in another forum a pretty cool suggestion that if they make another S.W movie, they should bring back Mark Hamil to play an old Luke Skywalker and perhaps mentor a new jedi (think Ep 6).

Only 4 billion? Why so cheap? Did you know that the CEO of Disney made more than that last year?

"I wanted to go on and do other things, things in philanthropy and doing more experimental kinds of films, but I couldn't really drag my company into that," Lucas said in a video released by Disney. "This will give me a chance to go off and explore my own interests and at the same time feel completely confident that Disney will take good care of the franchise I've built."

I really have absolutely no desire to know what kind of "experimental kinds of films" he is thinking about. After what he did to Star Wars and Indiana Jones, I would prefer he just give up film making all together and disappear into obscurity.

As Yoda might say in this situation: For the future of Star Wars, only fear I have. The shroud of the Disney side has fallen... :cool

xD

At least Spielberg is still sane!

Access Hollywood caught up with the director on Thursday night at the premiere of his latest film, "Lincoln," where we asked the longtime friend and collaborator of George Lucas about the possibility of directing the upcoming "Episode 7."
"No! No!" Steven told Access.

You can read the full story HERE!

When I heard this, I felt a disturbance in the Force, and we all know that doesn't bode well.

Sure, they have collaborated before so it's somewhat natural if Disney takes over Lucasfilm, but it doesn't feel quite right.

Back