• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Dodged a bullet

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
Ok this install has been running sweet up until today. Then suddenly every single boarding battle was ending in a CTD. :shock:

What did I change? I berthed the Mordaunt and brought out the Lineship1. After hours of digging around finding nothing I did a full maintenance routine. All the usual things needed fixing.

Then I did a defrag and optimization using IOBit Smart Defrag 2. This found errors in mast 4 in the Lineship 1 and repaired them. :bow

I just did a battle with boarding and it went flawlessly. Someone else recently posted about this same problem and now i know the possible solution. :p3

:cheers

Very interesting! Must be some clever software to find and repair that error like that. :woot
I haven't defrag'ed my PC for a while now, so I'll give that program a go.

Perhaps I spoke too soon. I just had another boarding fight CTD. I got an error message in case someone can figure it out.

I can't immediately see what the main cause of the CTD is, but it doesn't look like the Lineship1 mast4 model, at least.
Is it now consistently giving CTDs again, or was that just a one-off?

Ah, it's doing it again off and on. It seems if I optimize first then go sailing boardings go normally, but if I mod the ship and just take off boardings CTD.

I have a new theory that it might be one of my officers causing problems too. But basically, I dunno. :shrug All I know is this started when I changed ships.

The boarding CTD's stopped. I quit doing any looting, changed officers, and changed ships and boarding battles were going normally.

Now a new problem has appeared and I don't know how to dodge this bullet.

The game CTD's while loading. It is looking for a TEST.tga.tx which is not in any of my installs. :facepalm There is no error log and the compile log shows nothing unusual.

Now that's strange. Maybe you could try copying a blank texture and renaming it to TEST.tga, then place it in the specified folder, and see if that helps? :shrug

Well, how about an npc character trace node not found? That is what it is showing now. For whatever reason the game will not start. Deleting the last save worked for a while, but now that won't work either.

I'm thinking my C: drive is messing up and with TOOL based there, it is messing up POTC which is in the D: drive. Time for a new HD maybe.

The game started and I changed my officers and the npc thing is gone, but it still won't start after that.

It doesn't matter anymore. That install is pretty much dead. :ko The only storyline that works is Woodes Rogers. That's a kinda neat quest that reminds me a bit of Myst. :onya

Back