• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Does GOF attract a 14 years old with high demands?

Marki

Sailor
Hi Pirates. Two weeks ago I said to my 14 years old son: "We could play Gentlemen of Fortune, you remember?" And he said: "We could do it right now." We had just finished a session of Rocket League matches and he didn't feel like playing Overwatch, Minecraft, GTA, The Witcher or CSGO, but he remembered those officers and the looting, which he always liked when he saw it years ago. So we started this old beloved game of mine and we ended up in an unbelievable epic session. After an hour we were ready to set sail with our gunboat and our small crew and were lucky enough to meet a battle between an English Sophie and a Pirate Xebec. Two ships far too strong for our party. But we had a plan. After twenty minutes
of watching, tactical sailing and taking as few shots as possible for us, the Sophie had outpowered the Xebec, only few men (35?) left and its sails had taken some damage too. We entered the Xebec with 22 men, knowing it was a suicide mission. Got it, 8 men left. Immediately tried to get away of the Sophie, which sails were still pretty good. We took a very small angle, hard into the wind, the Sophie was very close but had
turned, we had a 50 meters but had to take one single chain-shot broadside then, reducing our crew to 7 men too. We fought, we sweat for 30 minutes, but the Sophie hunted us down. No mercy. So we reloaded, managed to not take that single chain-shot broadside, 8 men left, we threw literally EVERYTHING
overboard. The British gave us a ingame 12 hours long relentless nightly pursuit, 2 hours in real life. Hard into the wind we were slightly faster. When the wind was over 4.5 knots. When it was lower, the Sophie caught up. After two hours of fun, laughter, sweat and fight for every meter we had these magical 850m between us. What a game guys.

We have played many hours since then, currently sailing a 570 men heavy fluyt. For my personal preference we play GOF 1.3. in the past I used to play 1.1. I prefer it to the 2. versions because its level of difficulty fits perfectly for me. And these versions are extremely stable. Not one single crash in all these hours. GOF 1.1/1.3 and also the 2. versions are very solid stable fantastic packages.
I've tried out ERAS too a few month ago. It has some nice items. It is far less stable. I've tried out TEHO for some hours too but don't like it. I can't see the point of making a freestyle open world game jewel into a strict game. I love New Horizons. It is a great game, made with a lot of love. But it wouldn't be capable of catching my son's fascination for example because of its simple fight system. AoP2 has a really interesting fight system giving you a lot of tactical options in fights.

So, my friends, the GOF development might have ended, but: GOF rules. And the silver medal goes to ... New Horizons!

Thanks for these masterpieces!

Back