• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Dog of War, Sea Wolf

CptRoberts

Landlubber
:shrug Just a minor question bout the game, and developers, why does the Sea wolf, look so good with its design, the cannons, the wheel, even the details on the hull, the compass above the wheel, all go to show a great amount of attention but into the brig sea wolf, howevere what is supposed to be on of the best ships in the game the corvette dog of war, with all those great stats, only has a minimal of detail put into it compared to the brig, sure its fast and boast a great amount of firepower for its size. Is anyone working on a mod that will bring the same amount of great detail to the dog of war as the sea wolf, it would be great to have that ship have the same custom look as the sea wolf, ie, the custom made cannons, beautiful helm, and great hull detail. :sail

Because the Sea Wolf is a new model, whereas the DoW is a slightly adjusted corvette model recycled from the previous installment of the series.

I couldn't agree more with the OP. The Sea Wolf is a great looking ship. The shipbuilder of Bermuda even claims it is the best ship he has ever build. In looks I agree, but the stats are very mediocre.

Remember that it is very easy to mod this game. A few simple tweaks to the ships.ini file and make it whatever you think it should be. I personally made mine have the manouverability and POS of the Blue Bird and gave it the speed and slightly less power that the Dog of War.

Now the only thing to worry about is the fact that you must beat it in battle to own it, so it doesn't help to make it rediculously overpowered. Then again you can also just make it your starting ship.

With the exception of that tiny little dog holding a sword for the figurehead, the DoW basically looks like any other corvette you might run across. It really would be nice to see the DoW get a makeover, but then again, you could just tweak the much nicer SW and give it the DoW's stats... minus a few guns of course.

Yes but the problem starts there, swapping one ship for another can be done but it requires searching in all files since its a quest ship and could have several references to the ship or its model type. The code SHIP_COREVTTE_QUEST would need to be changed to SHIP_Ships name here (in caps). then any reference made in that way to any ship been swapped requires changing to the new ship. I don't know how many files there are but there are a few, the common file is obviously ships_init. Changing the stats like already said above to a ship you wish to swap over with the DOW would be done here.

It all boils down to aesthetics and preferences, which isn't really the most important thing about the ships. If it's a good ship, use it, even if it looks ridiculous, like the French MoW... all those bright primary colors make it looks like a playground shaped like a pirate ship (imo anyway). While it would be nice to see a new body for the DoW, it's not really all that necessary.

Oh i miss read what you had said, as long as the new DOW has all the same enteries as the current one then its simple just remove the old and put in place the new one and refence made in other files will not need changing in less things like.
Code:
makeref(refShip,ShipsTypes[SHIP_CORVETTE_QUEST]);
refShip.Name            			= "Corvette_quest";

Are changed, if those remain the same then it will work fine. Maybe we will see a update for the model released one day but not many ship modelers are working on COAS or ships for that matter so it could be sometime before they get to the DOW and fix her up.

It would be nice to see more detail like the compass, witch I think is actually the wind direction, and the helm as well as different features to make more of a feeling that each ship was made a little different like real life. :dance

I bet we could get that compass on other boats. What do you think Luke?

It would be nice to see more detail like the compass, witch I think is actually the wind direction, and the helm as well as different features to make more of a feeling that each ship was made a little different like real life. :dance

I bet we could get that compass on other boats. What do you think Luke?

Yes the compass shouldn't be to hard to add to the ship models and it woulde be nice to see more ships with them. the LuggerVML and Lugger H both have the working compass on there ships and thats why they are one of my favourite models.

I was hopping to some how change the way the screen is displayed, like add a switch for the wind direction which if turned off doesn't show you any info on which way the wind is blowing from but the weather its self needs work done there because the grass doesn't even move in the direction the wind is blowing. That might be something for the first POTC to COAS build mod when work on POTC is finished.

Eventually I'll be trying to work up more detailed models. I'm still trying to get a proper handle on modeling and image mapping (skinning) things in Maya.

Hopefully soon I'll have some interesting new things for the game.

Cap'n Drow

Back