• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Dominica is French

marrbodude

Sailor Apprentice
As you can see in the world map the French have set up a colony in Dominica.
Just like the Dutch a small settlement.

Can someone who is good at coding tell me. How can i make it a player home base??
I'm no good with code. I'm more of a cut and paste man.

Thank's matey :drunk cheer

frenchie1w.jpg

Outside the French settlement

frenchie2.jpg

I love that you've added this colony, :onya but I would rather see her be as a Bucaneer colony.

Indeed Dominica was claimed by the French in 1635, however the armed incursions on the colonist by the British coupled with French incursions on nearby St. Vincent caused both sides to agree to abandon both colonies in 1660. France still kept her as French until 1763 when she was ceded to Britain at the end of the Seven Years War as part of the Treaty of Paris. The only role she played between 1660 and 1760 was as a hiding place for criminals and bucaneers as well as a rich supply source of natural resources (timber) for both France and England with numerous expeditions mounted to harvest those resources.

It would be neat to make her part of a story line for a new quest.

MK

Hi ModernKnight1, my brother was just telling me about buccaneers from a book he was reading. I think the French in the Carribean at the time were referered to as buccaneers.The word buccaneer is derived from the French "boucanier", which roughly translates as "someone who smokes meat".

. I think the French in the Carribean at the time were referered to as buccaneers.

Well in fact Frenchs were already as pirates in carebbean, term buccaneer come from Saint-Domingue island,spanish,, where french guys kill cow to sell leather in Europa and (you're right) smokes meat to conserv and eat it.

Eye Mateys, Ye be correct, BUT.... it was a slang term. Piracy by it's definition meant men banding together to raid, that were doing so outside of any legitimate government. The Buccaneers are a perfect example of this. They started out peacefully and lagitimately enough farming and smoking meat, but when the French government refused to help them against Spanish and English raids, they turned pirate - and found the life to be much more lucrative. Over the course of a couple decades the word bucaneer became just another word for pirate because of these French raider's bloody and fearsome reputation. The word is still considered synonymous with pirate on up to modern times.

When I said bucaneers and criminals were the only ones there, I meant that the island was no longer under the protection or sovereignty of any government. Hence, this is why I would like to see it as a Pirate colony and not under a French flag.

Good Piratey, uh I mean Bucanneerey discussion mates! YARRR!!!!

MK

Its started out that the Spanish moved cattle to these islands so they could have a stop off point to replenish food supplies etc between there long journey, The buccaneers made a health business out of selling the the meat to the Spanish but every so often some buccaneers would capture a ship or two for them selves. The Spanish finally had enough and destroyed all cattle on the islands and the buccaneers with no way to make a living for them selves turned pirate and most targeted the Spanish not just because the wealth they had onboard there ships but because of revenge for taking there businesses away. Later on pirates mostly attacked Spanish for the gold and anything else of value, although most pirates attacked on the Spanish some did attack other nations aswell.

I agree with MK, it would be nice to have the island be apart of the starty line.

guys how do i get that island whit a colony on it it will be great to do that plspls :drunk cheers

Back