• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Don't be a Jerk when Firing Officer Tweak

Fleebusia

Sailor Apprentice
This likely won't be applicable for many users, but this is a personal tweak I thought might be worth sharing here.

Something that really bothered me is how childish and narcissistic the discourse is between you and an officer you wish to fire. It makes both parties come across as ingrates and does not accurately reflect or coincide with what is otherwise a normal/neutral disposition between Captain and Officer.

I made this tweak more to fulfil a desire in me to have a more accurate roleplaying connection with my character. All it does is alter some dialogue and gives the impression that you compensate officers you wish to dismiss.

In Program\DIALOGS\russian\Enc_Officer_dialog.c

case "exit_fire":
//navy -->
AddMoneyToCharacter(pchar, -10000);
if (CheckAttribute(NPChar, "PGGAi"))
{
pchar.questTemp.FiringOfficerIDX = NPChar.index;
AddDialogExitQuestFunction("PGG_FireOfficer");
DialogExit();
break;
}

This makes it so you will lose 10k when firing any officer as a means to compensate them for what they have already contributed and as a token of being a humble captain to leave on good terms.

You can then modify the dialogue accordingly to reflect a more humble and mature attitude. It can be whatever you like but this is what I have for reference:

In Program\Text\Dialogs\Enc_Officer_dialog.h

You want to modify lines:

16: "My friend, I'm afraid we have to part ways now"
18: ". I'm Sorry but I'm running out of room and I need someone with a more defined skillset"
100: "Whatever you say, Captain. That is unfortunate. I wish you luck going forward"
104: "I'm sorry I can't keep you on. Please accept this payment for services rendered."
-------

I'm going to expand this further as soon as I can make sense of how the dialogue links work. So far its confusing the hell out of me lol.

You may have to add a check if the player actually has that kind of money.

Good thinking 99.

If I knew what the hell I was doing I would add dialogue branches to make this optional as well as a deeper dialogue tree. The way the game links dialogue texts is so bizarre to me.

Back