• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Dumb A.I.

bobboberts

Landlubber
This may sound like a rant, which it probably is; I wish Akella or whatever had better ship to ship AI.

Following is a transcript of my mission 5 battle after capturing Santiago and being attacked by 4 large ships;

Me: Now MOW I want you to go over to attack ship A with your bombs since you are the closest. All of my class 2 ships;orders: run away run away from enemy!!
MOW: ok, I got it Captain, here I go.....
(Enemy)Ship A: I think I'll fire on this MOW if it gets close enough.
MOW: La dee dah, la dee dah Here I go over to Ship B, oh hello Ship A, I've got orders not to attack you, so I won't fire on you even though you are about to broadside me, la dee dah.
(Enemy)Ships A: Fire!!!!!!, great I almost sunk his MOW, and the idiot is not even returning fire!!!!!!!!
MOW: la dee dah, ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ship A almost sunk me, I hope I survive to make it to Ship B.
Me: You dummy, what the hell are you doing? I said to fire on ship A, ship A, ship A, hello anybody home?

Class 2: la dee dah, here I go straight over to the enemy MOW, I like recieving good orders like this, now I know I'll be safe.
Me: What the heck are you doing Class 2's I said run away NOT run toward the enemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Class 2: oh my, what is that sound? It sounds like breaking wood or something?......

Well its pritty obvious the AI need tweaking, maybe if we can get it to work we will be able to order our companions to sail away in a direction of our choosing. As for the problem with attacking enemy i have never had any problems there, if i order them to attack someone then they do it and fire back on any who come within range of them.

Aye, landlubber! :rolleyes: Also nuttin' like gittin' 'T-boned' by one o' yer own ships, eh?! :facepalm

As for the problem with attacking enemy i have never had any problems there,

Well you must be playing a different game than me, because it behaves stupidily all the time. I find that telling it to run away will mean it runs TOWARDS the enemy, telling it to attack means run away, so I sometimes anitcipate it and tell it to do the opposite of what I want....simple huh?

Ya sure its very very limited in terms of AI, but I still like this type of game, too bad there wasn't more of these around, with Unreal 3 type graphics and advanced AI and some city building etc etc.

yeah i rarely have more than one ship,and when i do get a second ship,i often use it as a sacrifice for my greater good ;) love telling a sloop to attack a fort lol

As for the problem with attacking enemy i have never had any problems there,

Well you must be playing a different game than me, because it behaves stupidily all the time. I find that telling it to run away will mean it runs TOWARDS the enemy, telling it to attack means run away, so I sometimes anitcipate it and tell it to do the opposite of what I want....simple huh?

Ya sure its very very limited in terms of AI, but I still like this type of game, too bad there wasn't more of these around, with Unreal 3 type graphics and advanced AI and some city building etc etc.

I have the problem when i tell any companions to run away but i don't have the problems of telling any companions to attack and who to attack. I'm playing the game with mods which might effect that some what but even so in vanilla i can't say i had any problems with my ships attacking whom ever i told them too and firing back on any one who they happen to pass and are in range. One such battle was my similar battle to Trafalgar where i ordered every ship to attack a individule target of my picking and they all did as asked with no problems. Some tactical battles was going on between the Pinnace of one of my companions and a enemy Warship, the Warship was trying to get in close to board the Pinnace was trying to aviod that by staying out of range. The Warship was a little quicker so i intervened and began shelling the Warship with chainshots which slowed it down to a snails pace and the Pinnace was home free. I lost one ship in that battle and that was a Galleon. Now i don't know why your having the problems your having but i can say for me the battle side of it seems fine the run awayoption is all messed up though.

If yuo don't already know this is the AI from the very first game (forgot the name); it was tweaked and something new was added... just creating possibilities for new thing missed or broken. Cause it is always easier to build from a scratch then to repair.

Landlubber - sure enjoyed this post xD:

While I haven't had that exact issue, I can relate. Mostly, my fleet ships are so slow that they just clap and cheer while I board the enemies. I did have one time that my MOW AI somehow managed to sink itself, with no enemy even nearby. Not sure if he was hitting a reef or ship we'd sunk earlier in the battle :shrug

I was chasing the last remaining enemy and taking my time clipping his sails when I noticed my MOWs health going down down. He was so far behind me I had no idea what he was into. Had to reload a save (lucky made one when I began chasing the last ship), this time I tell him to sail away prior to him taking damage. Couple min later he is taking massive damage again. Down Down, sunk.

So, reload again and overtake the enemy as fast as I can so I can pop to world map and save my MOW from suicide. He lives with 25% hull intact. That set me back a pretty piaster.

Oh, question -- rem reading this somewhere but could never find it again. How do I tell my AI ships what ammo to use? All I can find is the <enter> <attack> <pick a ship> command...what key tells them what to fire?

Oh, question -- rem reading this somewhere but could never find it again. How do I tell my AI ships what ammo to use? All I can find is the <enter> <attack> <pick a ship> command...what key tells them what to fire?
Dat be a mod by Jonathan, Surfmutt, allowin' ye tew pick yer ammo fer yer AI ships! :dance

Ah, ok. Thanks Fred Bob. I wanted to play it first time through vanilla...the mods I see look great tho. Probably load them and start again on higher difficulty once I tire of this. :onya

Bored at work today, If you get a min...run down all those shrimp dishes you know again ;)

I don't seem to have much problem having my AI ships attacking the ship/ships I order them to ( sometimes they keep practicing their About Turn way before their in firing range xD: ) what I don't like is their stupidity of bumping into each other ( busting their planks left and right ) while trying to attack the enemy.

I'm fairly well set up now as far as ships as I'm tearing up a lot of enemy wood and AI hides with five ships: MOW, Ship of the Line, Frigate, Battleship and a Warship. :keith :sail

Jus' git ye a fleet o' Tartanas, dat be follerin' ye 'round like lil' ducklings, an' act as decoys tew draw away enemy fire! :woot

Use the up down arrow keys to get control of other ships in your fleet. Use Reload, to tell it what type of ammo to reload with. 4 symbols apperar. cannon, grape, kah---nip---ohhhs, and bombs.

Use the up down arrow keys to get control of other ships in your fleet. Use Reload, to tell it what type of ammo to reload with. 4 symbols apperar. cannon, grape, kah---nip---ohhhs, and bombs.

The keypad in my game has been reconfigured to control the ship and sails. Anyway to control a ship in your fleet don't you first have to swap ships over? and to order them to load a poticular shot type you need to press enter key and then scroll to the companion ball choice icon before you can order them which shot type to use.

I have never used the Tartan tactic but it would be nice watching a MOW trying to chase a Tartan or better the Gunboat (now ported over and in current COAS CM V2 mod) i will have to try that ou7t but the problem is you loose those officers right? so that means i wopuld need to put those who are no longer offering me any advantages.

Ya you press 'Enter', which lists your commands, then press down arrow which takes you to the next ship on your list of your fleet. Then right,left arrow to choose which command.

Back