• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Dynamic and tactical sea battles

also

Landlubber
HI! Can anyone please explain me the difference between "dynamic" and "tactical" sea battles and tell me how i can change from "dynamic" to "tactical" after gamestart?
THNX!

I believe Dynamic is a faster battle mode while Tactic is a more simulation battle ie slower battles.

As for changing the style, till a mod is made the only way is to start a new game.

As for changing the style, till a mod is made the only way is to start a new game.

I think there's a switch on the options screen, but it's called something different, like fast sailing or something. It's been a while since I played. :(

I think there's a switch on the options screen, but it's called something different, like fast sailing or something. It's been a while since I played. :(
Sorry mate! There isn't anything like that in the options menu.
Another thing I wanted to ask, what is the "battle mode"?

The battle mode is the sea battle, you got to of them Dynamic and Tactic.

Dynamic: is the same thing as the arcade mode in POTC, batte goes faster and you still can sail with the wind in your face

Tactic: is the realistic mode like in POTC, meaning the battle are slower, maneouvrability and ship speed are very slow since they match the real speed of the wind and trying sailling against the wind is no use since you won't budge.

Cheers, :cheers

Well damn, you're right. My memory is faulty. :(
The "show battle mode" toggles the flashing red border around the screen when enemies are near. It's kinda useful in that it tells you when you are allowed to switch to the map screen, but I usually keep it turned off because I find it distracting. The music changes when you exit battle mode, and you're supposed to be keeping an eye on your enemies anyway.

Well damn, you're right. My memory is faulty. :(
The "show battle mode" toggles the flashing red border around the screen when enemies are near. It's kinda useful in that it tells you when you are allowed to switch to the map screen, but I usually keep it turned off because I find it distracting. The music changes when you exit battle mode, and you're supposed to be keeping an eye on your enemies anyway.
I find it annoying! Now that i know i'll disable it! thnx!

The battle mode is the sea battle, you got to of them Dynamic and Tactic.

Dynamic: is the same thing as the arcade mode in POTC, batte goes faster and you still can sail with the wind in your face

Tactic: is the realistic mode like in POTC, meaning the battle are slower, maneouvrability and ship speed are very slow since they match the real speed of the wind and trying sailling against the wind is no use since you won't budge.

Cheers, :cheers
So you mean that the "real-life" mode(if you can call it like that) is the tactical? Which one do you use and suggest?

Depends on your style of play, if you like fast battles then dynamic battles is the way to go. If you like slow and Tactical battles more like real battles (which i expect at least 99% of the COAS player's use) then set it to tactical. For the record i only ever use tactical for the simple reason been i hate arcade style gameplay and would much rather play a tactical battle any day.

Does anybody know if the sail/wind-behaviour is different in tactical and dynamic sea battles? Currently Im playing with dynamic and it seems that all ships sail fastest with the wind regardless of ship or sails.

Does anybody know if the sail/wind-behaviour is different in tactical and dynamic sea battles? Currently Im playing with dynamic and it seems that all ships sail fastest with the wind regardless of ship or sails.
It's not the wind behaviour that is different. It's just that tactical sea battles are more realistic and closer to real-life behaviour of ships, cannons, sails and so on. Meaning that ships are sailing with true speed, they are turning more realistically and the cannons are being reloaded in true time.

Ok, but whats with the sail settings? Shouldnt sloop-like sails (gaffsails?) have a different handling than the common square sails regarding wind directions? I thought Potc made a difference there, not?

The Sloop, Xebec etc with the sails design can sail closer into the wind which gives them an advantage over ships with square sails etc. The way they move is better they are more agile. In dynamic mode you don't see any of this while in tactical mode you get the fun of what it was really like to sail a ship taking into account the wind direction and how strong that wind is determins on how fast you will go a slow wind could mean sailing along at a snails pace a strong wind could see you doing 20 knots or more.

I would say to all fans if you want to experience the gaqme in its full glory you must use tactical mode.

Ah, thats the answer - thx luke! Unfortunatly slavery.... err, my work currently keeps me too busy to spend much time to play, so I couldnt test it yet.
Im used to play Potc with realistic sailing but I wont switch in AoP2 before the 10x/30x time accleration is modded in. Without that some battles just last too long for my small daily time frame.

Back