• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Medium Priority Early Explorers

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Here is a major overhaul to the game in the "Early Explorers" period.

Martinique is now Martinica, owned by Spain, which affects various sidequests. They still work but character names have changed.

Guadeloupe and Aruba can be visited, though they have no towns. Aruba still has its Arawak village.

@Homo eructus: perhaps you can help with character names for Martinica? "Sabine" is a French name, so in Spanish Martinica, Sabine Matton is Sabrina (with whichever random Spanish surname is applied to storekeeper Arnaud). If "Sabrina" is not a suitable Spanish name, could you suggest something better? She may also need a new nickname instead of "Sabie". Likewise, Hardouin Aufort needs a new name which Fred Bob can mishear. The best I've come up with is Hortensio Crespo, and Fred Bob calls him "Crispy". Perhaps you can do better?

Still posting from a smartphone on wifi, I have no FTP access, so I'm limited to the file size allowed on the forum. So the first zip does not contain any of the textures; these are in the second zip.

Edit: attachments deleted because they don't work. Get the full update instead!

Last edited:
Here is a major overhaul to the game in the "Early Explorers" period.

Martinique is now Martinica, owned by Spain, which affects various sidequests. They still work but character names have changed.

Guadeloupe and Aruba can be visited, though they have no towns. Aruba still has its Arawak village.

@Homo eructus: perhaps you can help with character names for Martinica? "Sabine" is a French name, so in Spanish Martinica, Sabine Matton is Sabrina (with whichever random Spanish surname is applied to storekeeper Arnaud). If "Sabrina" is not a suitable Spanish name, could you suggest something better? She may also need a new nickname instead of "Sabie". Likewise, Hardouin Aufort needs a new name which Fred Bob can mishear. The best I've come up with is Hortensio Crespo, and Fred Bob calls him "Crispy". Perhaps you can do better?

Still posting from a smartphone on wifi, I have no FTP access, so I'm limited to the file size allowed on the forum. So the first zip does not contain any of the textures; these are in the second zip.
You can leave it as Sabina, which would be the Spanish version of Sabine. Doesn't seem to have been very common historically (or today) but I did find a reference for a 17th century nun called Sabina (nickname could be Sabi, Sabita, Sabinita). Sabrina seems to be even rarer, I didn't find any historical references (I didn't search too hard) but both names belong to Catholic saints, so it's conceivable both could have been used.

For the pun, I can't think of nothing better off the top of my head. Crespo>crispy will do fine.

That update wasn't included in the latest, august zip (because I missed it). Probably it works on the march zip.

I'm quite sure the march update is my latest…

Can there anything be done or should I set it up new? Error file says it's About utils.c - line 731

I didn't want to make a fuss about it yet but I have some ideas for the Devlin Opera and wanted to start working on that a bit, that's why I wanted to update early explorers, even though I think it's a bit of a pity to remove one of the latest non-spanish settlements.

Sounds like some WinMerging might be required to add this to the latest ZIPs...

I didn't want to make a fuss about it yet but I have some ideas for the Devlin Opera and wanted to start working on that a bit, that's why I wanted to update early explorers
Would indeed be useful if you've got the correct up-to-date version of that period when you start working on it.
Shame if you do work that interferes with @Grey Roger's; or the other way around...

though I think it's a bit of a pity to remove one of the latest non-spanish settlements.
That's what sets Early Explorers apart from the other periods, I suppose...

Would indeed be useful if you've got the correct up-to-date version of that period when you start working on it.
Shame if you do work that interferes with @Grey Roger's; or the other way around...
Absolutely, but I haven't gotten that far yet anyway…

I think I haven't figured the whole upgrade-sytem out yet. And if there always updates, big ones or smaller, more specific ones, and I do own stuff at the same time etc, it's hard to stay up to date with a complete folder.

I just unzipped Grey Rogers folder into my game folder, then got that error message.

That's what sets Early Explorers apart from the other periods, I suppose...
Sure, I just had some fixation in my ideas about Martinique being french, but I'd rather have empty Islands for quest purposes (like GR did with Guadeloupe and Aruba) than a french Martinique.

What do you suppose I do? I could try this update again on a copy of my game.

I wouldn't, I tried installing it over a copy (of the march update) and it broke it too - I wasn't getting any error message about utils.c just a black screen.

I think I haven't figured the whole upgrade-sytem out yet. And if there always updates, big ones or smaller, more specific ones, and I do own stuff at the same time etc, it's hard to stay up to date with a complete folder.
Ideally we should have one centralized place where all updates are kept together.
We tried that several times though and the modders generally wouldn't use it.

And so we keep using ZIPs; and WinMerge...

WinMerge.

I think I haven't figured the whole upgrade-sytem out yet.
It became extra confusing this last time as the latest, august zip is visible at the end of a thread and the march zip is visible in the first post of that same thread. I asked for help to move the latest zip to the first post. (even better if possible to overwrite the march one)

And if there always updates, big ones or smaller, more specific ones, and I do own stuff at the same time etc, it's hard to stay up to date with a complete folder.
I only download and include the latest zip to a new game. And keep my own stuff ready in a folder until the next upload time.

Sorry, I must have missed out a couple of files when I was trying to sort out the "Early Explorers" stuff from my whole install. :oops:

The "Early Explorers" mod is now included in the full update:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_25May_updates.zip

The acid test was to make a clean install - stock game, Build 14 installer, then the same update archive as I uploaded to the FTP site. Then I ran a quick FreePlay game and visited the various islands which I'd altered. I tested @The Nameless Pirate's Charles de Maure character while I was at it, so here he is in San Pedro, Martinica (Spanish form of St. Pierre, Martinique):
san_pedro_gate.jpg

This is what would probably have crashed the game with the partial upload:
early_saint_martin.jpg
That's Saint Martin not showing Marigot port. If there's a "Sent_townless" model to make Saint Martin not show towns, there also needs to be "Sent_townless_seabed", and that latter file is what I forgot to include. It's in the full update, though.

The same applies to Guadeloupe - the lack of a "seabed" model would have crashed the game if you installed the partial version, but it's included in the full update.
early_guadeloupe.jpg early_guadeloupe_worldmap.jpg

Back