• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Elite Archers of the Mary Rose Identified

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
The BBC is reporting that researchers have identified skeletal remains found on the British ship Mary Rose as belonging to a group of elite archers that went down with the ship in 1545 during a battle with the French. They used modern DNA evidence, combined with a close study of the bones that determined strain and wear consistent with the use of an English longbow. Quite a significant identification to say the least!

Over the years, there have been many theories as to why the Mary Rose sank, one of the most likely theories is that she had just undergone a refit before the battle and that refit had left her unstable because of improper weight distribution. What is left of her was raised in 1982, it was one of the biggest maritime archeological recovery in history, only the recovery of the Swedish Vasa can really compare.

The BBC story can be found HERE, but I also did a quick Youtube search and that video had been posted there as well, so I have included it below.

There is also a more in depth written article over on the Telegraph HERE! There are many other videos on Youtube about the Mary Rose as well, I ran across this one a few years agoand it is well worth a watch!

Attachments

• carrack.png
    carrack.png
    207.7 KB · Views: 13
Back