• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Engine error

TheFlyingDutchman1234

Sailor Apprentice
I installed build 14 beta 2.3 light and my engine crashes at the startup. Ive got the error log and a screenshot here:
Code:
COMPILE ERROR - file: seadogs.c; line: 5
can't load file: sulan_shipslog.c
Can somebody please help or send the missing file? I dont now what went wrong.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Naamloos.png
    Naamloos.png
    1,007.8 KB · Views: 121
If that file is missing, there is probably more wrong as well. Can you open your PROGRAM folder and see if there is a PROGRAM_new folder in there? Or are there any .bat files still in there?
You DID install OUTSIDE the Program Files, right? This usually happens when Windows security measures prevent the installation from happening correctly.

The Ship's Log interface was added in Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 7. That file should have been there even BEFORE you installed Beta 2.3 Light.

Checking further, I have confirmed that the Beta 2.3 Light installer does in no way, shape or form touch the sulan_shipslog.c file.
This leads me to believe that Build 14 Beta 2.1 Full never was installed properly to begin with.

Are you sure you read and did all of the below?
Code:
 _   _    ______ _____  ___ ______     _____ _   _     _   _ 
| | | |   | ___ \  ___|/ _ \|  _  \   |  _  | \ | |   | | | |
| | | |   | |_/ / |__ / /_\ \ | | |   | | | |  \| |   | | | |
| | | |   |    /|  __||  _  | | | |   | | | | . ` |   | | | |
|_| |_|   | |\ \| |___| | | | |/ /    \ \_/ / |\  |   |_| |_|
(_) (_)   \_| \_\____/\_| |_/___/      \___/\_| \_/   (_) (_)

Trust us; it really, genuinely IS important!

=====================================================
CRUCIAL INSTALLATION TIPS:
=====================================================

1. You MUST install this on top of the unmodified stock game
   Pirates of the Caribbean, released in 2003 by Akella.
   The mod is NOT a standalone game!

2. You MUST install Build 14 Beta 2.1 Full first!!!

3. Allow the installer to run RunMe.bat upon completion

- DON'T install the game to Program Files,
   otherwise Windows prevents it from installing correctly
   Install to, for example, C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean

- Check out the controls in
   Documentation\Default Key Assignments.txt

- Set the game's settings to your liking in the
   Options>Advanced Options menu

- !!!SAVE OFTEN!!!
1. Try to install Beta 2.1 Full on top of your current game version.
2. Open your game folder and check that there is NO PROGRAM_new folder, but there IS a sulan_shipslog.c file in the PROGRAM folder. Try to run the game too to ensure it did work.
3. THEN install Beta 2.3 Light as well on top of that.

Nope, that shouldn't be there. If it IS there, that proves that the .bat file that is required for the installation process wasn't allowed to do what it needs to.
The way it works is this:
1. The Beta 2.1 Full installer contains a PROGRAM_new folder
2. A .bat file is automatically run after Beta 2.1 has been installed that deletes the original PROGRAM folder and renames PROGRAM_new to PROGRAM

This is to ensure that the actual PROGRAM folder after installation contains only exactly what should be in there.

Really I don't know what you are doing with installing Build 14. The installation process couldn't be easier; I've spent literally YEARS fine-tuning it and ironing out pretty much everything that could go wrong.
Installing outside Program Files and then just installing Beta 2.1 Full, then Beta 2.3 Light on top should be all that is necessary.

There are a bunch of little things that can cause a problem for this puter but not for that one. F'rinstance, for a long while I had to go into the config file and set it to 32 bit because it kept reverting to 16 bit rendering. There is also a check that needed undoing. Safe mode or something. Then you have to set the options before starting a game or it would mess up. There are so many little things that can go wrong at the first startup that I can't remember them all.

The 32-bit rendering HAS to be default with Beta 2.3 Light because that's set up in engine.ini, which is included in the modpack download these days.
The same goes for the "Safe Mode" setting. So those are two things that should not be possible to go wrong.
Similarly, the installation process removes the "options" file, so that will ALWAYS be reset to default to prevent weird issues from occurring.

Back