• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Engine. exe problem with free play mode in build 14 beta 4

A new .log file has appeared and the compile log has dissappeared
PD: I think I should clarify more, now I can even start the game, the storm engine window with the ship appears and them Runtime error shows up, it also says abnormal program termination
your installation looks corrupted. Please try to reinstall the mod. you seem to be missing files or something is wrong at least.
You do use the installer to install the mod right?

For some reason, the forum won't let me attach an older version of ENGINE.exe, no matter how I zip it up.
This is VERY annoying! :whipa

A new .log file has appeared and the compile log has dissappeared
That error.log indicates an actual installation error of some kind.

Some more error logs for information - this time trying to set sail at the beginning of the Assassin Story
I almost got scared there, because I thought I had finally managed to fix this one:
Code:
RUNTIME ERROR - file: sea_ai\AIShip.c; line: 92
invalid index 5 [size:5]
RUNTIME ERROR - file: sea_ai\AIShip.c; line: 92
function 'CreateFlagEnvironment' stack error
But then I noticed the version you're running:
Code:
Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP: 16 May 2016
How come you're using such an old version?

Code:
Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP: 16 May 2016
How come you're using such an old version?

Because all I am actually using it for is to fix the Sabine Matton Quest - I don't actually use it to "play" the game.

Also have not had time to download & install a more up to date version.

:type1

For some reason, the forum won't let me attach an older version of ENGINE.exe, no matter how I zip it up.
How old a version do you want? I just tried attaching the one I extracted from the .tar installation file, after using 7-Zip to zip it, and the forum accepted it. I then deleted the attachment - I'll try again when I know which version of "ENGINE.exe" you want.

How old a version do you want? I just tried attaching the one I extracted from the .tar installation file, after using 7-Zip to zip it, and the forum accepted it. I then deleted the attachment - I'll try again when I know which version of "ENGINE.exe" you want.
I was trying the Build 14 Alpha 9 one, which was the oldest Build 14 version I could find.

Hunting around the on-line FTP page, I can see "b14_alpha9_multilang.exe", but examining that with 7-Zip, it doesn't seem to contain an "ENGINE.exe". The best I can find is the one from "b14_beta3_full.7z". That version of "ENGINE.exe" is dated 30th August 2003. I can attach that, if it's any use.

Hunting around the on-line FTP page, I can see "b14_alpha9_multilang.exe", but examining that with 7-Zip, it doesn't seem to contain an "ENGINE.exe". The best I can find is the one from "b14_beta3_full.7z". That version of "ENGINE.exe" is dated 30th August 2003. I can attach that, if it's any use.
Please do. Might help. :cheers

Ok
I re installed the game, the mod and intel graphics
I started a new game in the free play mode, and surprise, It allowed me to go to the sea.
HOWEVER:modding
I started another new game in free play mode, changing my career to adventurer, first time I managed to get to port, second one did not allow me to land after fencing tutorial.
There´s something different though, now there´s no engine exe problem window, the game just closes.

Log files, please?

Also, is that with the ENGINE.exe from post #30 above? If not, try that too.

Here you go
No
I did not use that file
I will try
I just replace the file right?

Attachments

• system.log
    818 bytes · Views: 145
  • compile.log
    9.8 KB · Views: 142
Now I can even start playing. I could not even get to my character in the captains cabin:modding

I guess it just my computer, which is unable to support beta 4:(

Attachments

• compile.log
    3.8 KB · Views: 132
  • system.log
    440 bytes · Views: 125
Last edited:
Hi all,

sry for necro(?) but I think the problem might be solved by making Win XP 32 bit LAA itself. Link to Microsoft:

- Physical Address Extension (Windows)

But someone wiser than me could perhaps kindly write a step by step instruction:

- how to find and open boot.ini, how the program line(s) exactly looks before modifying and how it should exactly look after.

Anyway this makes 32-bit XP able to run many programs it could not run at all, AFAIU.

If I have misunderstood it all and post garbage, I apologize in advance.

Rgds, Oldtimer

Hi all,

well, I can only confirm that inserting .zip from post 30 and 14.3 .exe into 14.4 does not solve above mentioned problems.

I installed 14.3 from moddb and it seems to run OK. It`s great in itself but knowing all content you miss from 14.4 is kinda depressing.

Rgds, Oldtimer

@Oldtimer: What exactly is the problem you are having?

If swapping ENGINE.exe files does not help, then the most likely cause is that required system resources for Beta 4 have become substantially higher.
This is primarily due to @Levis' Levelling system, which you can tweak with the numbers at the top of PROGRAM\Characters\Leveling.c .
Most notably, try tweaking these numbers as indicated:
Code:
#define   POSTINIT_AMOUNT_PIECES       3     // INT - Divide the XP given to a character on a post init run by this. Make this higher to increase amount of FPS at load, but longer post init
#define POSTINIT_AMOUNT_LEVELS       1     // INT - Amount of levels done simultaniously on post init. Higher is lower post init time but also lower FPS on load
#define POSTINIT_MAX_ALLOW_LEVEL_POST   20     // INT - Characters higher then this level wont be going trough post init, lower this to get shorter post init but longer loading times

@Pieter Boelen

Same as described in post 1. With original .exe couldn`t go ashore after tutorial. With older .exes can go ashore and back on board but can`t go to sea.

Will try your suggested tweak but probably only after New Year.

THX for your attn.

Rgds, Oldtimer

@Oldtimer: What exactly is the problem you are having?

If swapping ENGINE.exe files does not help, then the most likely cause is that required system resources for Beta 4 have become substantially higher.
This is primarily due to @Levis' Levelling system, which you can tweak with the numbers at the top of PROGRAM\Characters\Leveling.c .
Most notably, try tweaking these numbers as indicated:
Code:
#define   POSTINIT_AMOUNT_PIECES       3     // INT - Divide the XP given to a character on a post init run by this. Make this higher to increase amount of FPS at load, but longer post init
#define POSTINIT_AMOUNT_LEVELS       1     // INT - Amount of levels done simultaniously on post init. Higher is lower post init time but also lower FPS on load
#define POSTINIT_MAX_ALLOW_LEVEL_POST   20     // INT - Characters higher then this level wont be going trough post init, lower this to get shorter post init but longer loading times

@Pieter Boelen

Any suggestion how these numbers should look like? I don`t quite understand the effects of changes to comp workload. Yeah, I`m that dumb...

BTW, the problem affects start as N Hawk so it seems to be general, not only for Free Play.

Happy New Year to You,

Oldtimer

Any suggestion how these numbers should look like? I don`t quite understand the effects of changes to comp workload. Yeah, I`m that dumb...
I know as much as you do. The comments on those lines do give an indication on how to change those numbers.
Just do whatever it says is needed to increase the FPS; make BIG changes if need be.
Then see if it makes any difference.

BTW, the problem affects start as N Hawk so it seems to be general, not only for Free Play.
Not surprising. Any such issue would likely be a general one, not linked to the chosen storyline.

Back