• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

English versions of "Return of the Legend" and "Captain Blood".

EldritchNexus

Powder Monkey
So I'm sure many people here are aware of the unofficial Sea Dogs sequel, Corsairs: Return of the Legend, which was only released in Russia and the CIS. There is also the unreleased but recently resurfaced action-adventure title Age of Pirates: Captain Blood, which I understand was recently posted to the Internet, fully playable and mostly complete but only in the Russian language.

I was wondering if there's a way that someone could get a team together and produce an English translation of both games, perhaps under the Sea Dogs title. Now I understand that both of these games run on variations of the Storm Engine, which means they should be highly customizable if you know what files to swap or edit.

Now there will be a couple of issues with getting this started. The first is getting the actual games. Return of the Legend may be tough to get, and Captain Blood would be even tougher since the only way to get that game is from some shady file-sharing and torrent websites. Not even I know the best place to look for them.

And obviously, there will be another issue: legal concerns, especially with Captain Blood. But since Akella, THQ, and Playlogic are all defunct, could it be possible to crowd-fund a translated/dubbed version of these two games? Or would we have to talk to 1C Company, BlackMark Studio, or whomever owns the Sea Dogs IP about that?

Putting this into context, there are Spanish and Russian translations of PoTC:NH in progress. The Spanish one is a lot more complete than the Russian one, has been in progress for years, and is still not fully done.

Expect an English translation of either of these Russian games to take a similarly long time...

The first is getting the actual games.
Definitely the biggest challenge to start with.
But surely those Russian games/mods must be available SOMEHOW?

Not sure if "Captain Blood" is even worth it.
That one went into development hell and never came out.
But even before it was cancelled, it had become QUITE the source of ridicule for us here:
285787_full.jpg

Expect an English translation of either of these Russian games to take a similarly long time...
Except, with an initial pass of Google Translate, that's something that can be done by people who ONLY know English.
And maybe some of the Russian people we know could do a quick double-check for the part we're not sure of.

One place to start could be the "Corsairs Ship Pack" for CoAS: Corsairs Ship Pack | VK
It's developer doesn't object to a translation; and would be willing to offer (a little) support where necessary.

Except, with an initial pass of Google Translate, that's something that can be done by people who ONLY know English.
And maybe some of the Russian people we know could do a quick double-check for the part we're not sure of.

I would suggest using the DeepL Translator when translating whole paragraphs and complete sentences, especially in a project like this. At least from my experience, it is capable of so much more than Google Translator. I have used it in the past to translate complete websites from English into German and vice versa and it reduced my workload by 90%.

Not sure if "Captain Blood" is even worth it.
That one went into development hell and never came out.
But even before it was cancelled, it had become QUITE the source of ridicule for us here:
Indeed, I saw a little bit of it on YouTube.
Can't say I would have been thrilled to try it. The style of the game is much to different (less realistic) than the other games.
To Each His Own I guess.

I would suggest using the DeepL Translator when translating whole paragraphs and complete sentences, especially in a project like this. At least from my experience, it is capable of so much more than Google Translator. I have used it in the past to translate complete websites from English into German and vice versa and it reduced my workload by 90%.
Oooh, nice!
And it even looks like the default Google one too: :shock
DeepL Translate

Indeed, I saw a little bit of it on YouTube.
Can't say I would have been thrilled to try it. The style of the game is much to different (less realistic) than the other games.
To Each His Own I guess.

Yeah, Captain Blood is definitely very cartoony-looking and has a totally different gameplay style than the other Sea Dogs/Age of Pirates games, but I'd still welcome it as a side-story/spinoff, albeit a very weird one.

Back