• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Eras 2 - How did you find Ship Balancing vs GOF?

Fleebusia

Sailor Apprentice
Well, after some initial pains of porting my lovely Constance over from GOF and plugging some leaks here and there, I think I am almost ready to indulge in my first ERAS adventure.

I was about to commit to Captain level mayhem but something caught my eye, both eyes .. I couldn't help but noticed the drastic rebalancing of Ships in ERAS- That is to say the median Hull values are greatly diminished as are the speed-rate values for ships.

How exactly does that factor/translate into the grand scheme of things? Hull values are effectively half that of GOF. So did they rework ballistics to compensate for that, or does that mean ships will just melt incredibly quickly?

I'm personally a big fan of robust ships across the board, it tends to lead to epic enduring battles of attrition where combatants are afforded maximum flexibility in decision making. It also usually means some real hairy stuff can happen without ending the fight before it even starts. Similarly I like that all ships are reasonably fast in GOF. Even if not super realistic I love zooming around in fast ships and I love the dynamic this creates in battle, especially as it relates to evasion for weaker vessels.

At the moment I have my finger poised to rebalance the ships more in accordance with GOF standardised values to get the same feel. But it would make little sense to do this without first understanding exactly what this means and the effect it has on the combat model as a whole.

I did see that some of my favourite ships like the Heavy Batavia were nerfed into the ground, relatively speaking. I can't actually see many ships in the ERAS files that actually stand out as being good or sort after. This bothers me.

Back