• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Everyone, Change Places!

so once I have an account, how do I upload files to my personal folder under the POTC FTP category on the dropbox under the downlands section?

OK Arm, what you need to do is download your own Dropbox start up an account and put your mods in the new "Public Folder" then you need to get a link to that folder (I can show you this when you get to that point) This way, everyone can download your mods but only you have access to the folder (others also if you wish to make is a shared folder)

Now, the "Public Folder" is just a mirror of what's in that particular folder. You could have a WIP folder next to it which is not shared with the public, but you can share it with others that are working on the same mod. This is what's great about Dropbox.

From there, I will add a sub link under the main Downloads link which will be like below. This will just include the mods you want others to download.

Downloads
- Captain Armstrongs Mods
- Someone Elses Mods.

Alternatively, if you don't want mods to be downloaded separately and want them to be in the Build mod, then I think we should make a thread in the POTC forum which is the Cloud thread (thinking about it I might just do that), and everyone puts their link up to their public folder whether it be GDrive, Dropbox, Skydrive, etc..and people can pick as they please. There is a project version of Dropbox which would be ideal but it's stupidly expensive.

Ultimately, the main problem with the FTP (apart from me paying for it) was how easy it is to manipulate and the possibility of nefarious things people could to if they wanted.

I think an own FTP server is preferable to dependency on external services, but at the same time I can fully understand the problem with the FTP being cost and lack of security. Cloud storage doesn't seem very "safe" either, but since it in this case will be used for mod files and not "personal and important" files I guess cloud storage can work. Downtime probably won't be a problem, and it should probably also be more secure than the FTP was.

About the theme, would it be possible to make the previous theme a selectable option in the "Change Theme" link in the bottom left part of the site? This new theme is clean and all, but I found the previous one to be easier to read and navigate. So, I would appreciate if it could somehow be made into an option.

Apart from that, nice to see that the site's performance apparently has been improved. :)

ok, so essentially I cant add anything to what is already under my FTP folder on the dropbox in the downloads section of this website? (If that makes any sense lol :wacko: ) I already have dropbox which is why I asked (sorry I kinda asked my question in a hypothetical way when it really wasnt) so If just post my link in the thread in the POTC forum, you will add it as a subsection to the downloads section? And once you add it to the downloads section I can link directly to that?

I just ran across THIS over on Dropbox while I was looking for some files, not sure exactly how this might affect things, but thought I would share it.

We wanted to let our developers know about an upcoming change to the Public folder for new user accounts. In April, we launched the ability to share any file or folder in your Dropbox with a simple link. This new sharing mechanism is a more generalized, scalable way to support many of the same use cases as the Public folder.

After July 31, 2012, we will no longer create Public folders in any new Dropbox accounts. If your app depends on Public folders, we recommend switching to the /shares API call. Public folders in existing accounts, however, will continue to function as before.

Hmmm... I don't quite like the sound of that. Haven't gotten used to this "DropBox" thing yet. I liked the FTP. In fact, the FTP is quite crucial to me for posting stuff on the ModDB as well, because I upload to the FTP and then upload to the ModDB from the FTP link, which is more reliable than uploading straight to the ModDB.

Would it be possible to keep at least a "small" FTP, say 2 GB at least, for uploading purposes? Then I think we should look at using the ModDB as primary modpack distribution and no longer have the files posted locally on PA. Would be much easier to handle that way.

Personally I find SkyDrive is a good alternative to DropBox, certainly in the way of having a more familiar interface. You get 7GB free space, and the option to have a folder installed on your PC which will automatically upload its contents to your SkyDrive account. All you need is a Windows Live account to access it, and it includes a 'Public' folder that you have full control over, as well as private folders.
Microsoft have no plans to change that in the foreseeable future, as far as I know, so at least it's a stable option. (Despite a small glitch the other day, which seems to have disappeared)

As for FTP options, I guess it's up to Keith to decide if it's worth maintaining one again.

Back