• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Expand on Quest Text for Two Ambiguous Missions

Kpax7

Shamshir in the Dark!
Storm Modder
Using Build 14 Beta 3.4
"The saga of balacque family" and "Artois Voysey" Don't have any ending.

I talked to a man in a port and this quest appeared in my Questbook! I don't know what to do with it!
The context doesn't guide me to any direction! They shouldn't remain in Questbook active!
Unfinished2.png

uni4.png

This is because in the original game you had to sometimes wait for things to happen. then One day when you land at a Port the quest continous. That is just how the original game was made by Akella.

If you are stuck or confused about what to do next then you can check the Walk throughs on the Wiki here:- http://www.piratesahoy.net/wiki/index/

OR just click on the Wiki button at the top of the screen - below the Pirates Ahoy Logo.

:doff

I'm pretty sure they do have an ending, but they don't actually indicate what to do next.
The only thing those open questbook entries indicate is that there is more story to be told.
You can generally continue such quests by continuing play and something relevant may happen at some point.
For Artois, for example, you need to visit a certain port. And for the Blacque's, there are some family members of Marc's on another island.

I'm pretty sure they do have an ending, but they don't actually indicate what to do next.
The only thing those open questbook entries indicate is that there is more story to be told.
You can generally continue such quests by continuing play and something relevant may happen at some point.
For Artois, for example, you need to visit a certain port. And for the Blacque's, there are some family members of Marc's on another island.
Isn't it better to add some more text to Quest entries like this? It should have a little hint what to do next!!

Isn't it better to add some more text to Quest entries like this? It should have a little hint what to do next!!
I wouldn't want to make it so obvious we'd be holding the players by the hand all the time.
But some slight suggestion of what is next might be in order, I suppose?

I wouldn't want to make it so obvious we'd be holding the players by the hand all the time.
But some slight suggestion of what is next might be in order, I suppose?
As you can see in the screenshots there's absolutely no hints on what to do next! So the quest is absolutely meaningless! Until you refer to walk through! Which I don't want to! Walkthrough is for someone who is really stuck although game provides hints! But in this case the game doesn't provide any hints!
I believe it should be corrected!

The relevant files are in RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\QUESTBOOK
artois.txt and Blacques.txt are the ones.

But of course reading those might be considered a bit of a spoiler.

According to what I see, the Blacque one you've got can be continued by asking a bit around in the area where you met Milon.
There is a character standing there who is the start of many quests there and might be able to help you out.

For Artois, his story continues on its own when you visit a certain port as long as you keep him in your shore party.

As it is a stock game quest, both of the above take place only on the stock game islands (Barbados, Jamaica, Bonaire, Grenada, Martinique, Nevis and Puerto Rico).
At least that limits the search area.

:modding All I wanted to say was to edit the questbook texts to include a hint in the next releases!

Using Build 14 Beta 3.4

I talked to a man in a port and this quest appeared in my Questbook! I don't know what to do with it!
The context doesn't guide me to any direction! They shouldn't remain in Questbook active!
View attachment 22486
View attachment 22487

Just suggestions:- :checklist

For Artois Voysey:-

text.t2=The man I've saved is Artois Voysey, and, judging by his word, a good navigator. I made him a member of my crew. However there is something strange about him, I will watch him carefully and keep him with me at all times.

For Blaques

text.t2=I met and spoke with an old man on the harborfront named Milon Blacque. He seemed a bit addled, and mistook my ship for the 'Cleopatra', of which his son was the captain. I corrected his mistake and moved on. However perhaps I should check what other people in the port say about Milon Balque.

For new players the Quest book headers can bee confusing - since they don't give a clue as to whether they relate to part of a Main Story or are a side quest.

Perhaps if the headers were changed to e.g. Artois Voysey - Side Quest , Saga of the Blaque Family - Side Quest -- It might help new players to distinguish between the Main Story entries and the Side Quest ones. :shrug

What we really need on subjects like this is more input from players who are new to the game, or have not played it that much.

Someone like me who has played the game quite a bit finds it hard to see things from the position of a first time or very new player.:yes

:keith

For Artois Voysey:-

text.t2=The man I've saved is Artois Voysey, and, judging by his word, a good navigator. I made him a member of my crew. However there is something strange about him, I will watch him carefully and keep him with me at all times.

For Blaques

text.t2=I met and spoke with an old man on the harborfront named Milon Blacque. He seemed a bit addled, and mistook my ship for the 'Cleopatra', of which his son was the captain. I corrected his mistake and moved on. However perhaps I should check what other people in the port say about Milon Balque.
Indeed those should work! I'll stick those in at the earliest time that I am near my game and remember to do it. ;)

For new players the Quest book headers can bee confusing - since they don't give a clue as to whether they relate to part of a Main Story or are a side quest.

Perhaps if the headers were changed to e.g. Artois Voysey - Side Quest , Saga of the Blaque Family - Side Quest -- It might help new players to distinguish between the Main Story entries and the Side Quest ones. :shrug
I wonder how that would look on the screen. It would certainly appear more "gamey" than without distinguishing between the two, but indeed it might help to clarify things.
At least that could be done for generic and pre-written side quests to indicate they're NOT part of any main quest to prevent the confusion that @Kpax7 ran into before.

What we really need on subjects like this is more input from players who are new to the game, or have not played it that much.

Someone like me who has played the game quite a bit finds it hard to see things from the position of a first time or very new player.:yes
Very, very true. On that account, @Kpax7's reports are really very useful. So thanks for your attention to detail, mate! :cheers

I wonder how that would look on the screen. It would certainly appear more "gamey" than without distinguishing between the two, but indeed it might help to clarify things.
At least that could be done for generic and pre-written side quests to indicate they're NOT part of any main quest to prevent the confusion that @Kpax7 ran into before.

And now with lots more side quests being available in the Main Stories. When the next public release happens this could be a bigger problem. :yes

:drunk

Last edited:
Both changes suggested by @Talisman have been included in my game now and will be part of the next update.

Additionally, I added "Side Quest", "General Quest", "Notification" or "Tutorial" to several quest titles.
Only anything related to the game start and main storylines remains without. We'll see if that helps. :doff

thanks! that's great!
But I think including titles like that spoil the reality feel of the game :D at least for me!
From the looks of the quests that's obvious they're not main quest. I only wondered how to finish em!
I suggest changing the quest text to this:
1. However perhaps I should check what other people in the port and town say about Milon Balque. He might have friends or relatives on this islands to talk to!

2. However there is something strange about him, I will watch him carefully and keep him with me at all times. I may have to investigate his relations on Sao Jorge as he is of Portuguese origin...

Also these parts of the quest are totally hard to figure:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/wiki/artois-voysey/

Go to jungle ( on exit from town Quest book update)

How do I know to go to Jungle!! I have never tried that if I didn't look at the wiki!

How do I know to go to Jungle!! I have never tried that if I didn't look at the wiki!

You actually don't know - that is the way the quest was written in the original game.

So it is just luck .

:read

2. However there is something strange about him, I will watch him carefully and keep him with me at all times. I may have to investigate his relations on Sao Jorge as he is of Portuguese origin...

Small problem - depending on what time period you are playing in ( i.e. what year ) Sao Jorge & Grenada may not be Portuguese - as the islands are owned by different Nations in different periods.

:doff

The name "Artois Voysey" does not sound particularly Portuguese so he probably is not of Portuguese origin. He has no relations in Sao Jorge, that just happens to be where his enemies catch up with him. The hint about keeping him with you at all times should suffice as the quest won't progress even if you arrive at Sao Jorge unless he's active. Anyone who is still stuck wondering what to do next can always consult the walkthrough...

The name "Artois Voysey" does not sound particularly Portuguese so he probably is not of Portuguese origin. He has no relations in Sao Jorge, that just happens to be where his enemies catch up with him. The hint about keeping him with you at all times should suffice as the quest won't progress even if you arrive at Sao Jorge unless he's active. Anyone who is still stuck wondering what to do next can always consult the walkthrough...
Agreed. I was thinking the same thing about his name; I doubt he's Portuguese.

I think it is quite impossible to always have a logical "do this, then do that" progression to every single quest.
I'm also not sure if we should even want that. Sometimes it is nice to leave things to chance and allow players to figure certain things out on their own that aren't immediately obvious.

There is even a part in the Bartolomeu storyline where the story only progresses when you take care of a certain ship that could deliberately be at any island.
The quest doesn't tell you which island; you'll just have to continue playing until you meet with success.

So I think the two quests texts from the opening posts should be OK after @Talisman's suggested changes.

What about the confusion over what is a sidequest and what isn't?
I am intending to have "labels" for that with the next update so you guys cna see what it is like.
Then we can decide whether we want to keep that or not.

1. However perhaps I should check what other people in the port and town say about Milon Balque. He might have friends or relatives on this islands to talk to!
My first suggestion sounds good to me at least. I have never searched town for his sister (a random girl front of store!!!).

As a side quest hunter I can never think of waisting time to go to jungles for a quest that doesn't mention it! No way to progress in that mission without consulting walkthrough! And that's very bad! I hate consulting walkthrough! The game should have hints to support the story :|

The name "Artois Voysey" does not sound particularly Portuguese so he probably is not of Portuguese origin.
Agreed. I was thinking the same thing about his name; I doubt he's Portuguese.
LOL, well as I'm not European I can't distinguish between nationality of names :)

Back