• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Experiment 2: consistent bandits, apply difficulty to AI captain skill, and non-magical luck

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
EDIT: uploaded new version, edited description with new formula

The attached is number 2 in my line of recent experiments (which will mostly be posted throughout today and tomorrow). All have been tested and work with the latest 4.1 zip file.

None of this is intended for the main mod at this time. Anyone wanting to try one or more of the experiments is welcome to--I've tried to make them mostly independent of each other--and provide feedback on what parts you hate or like of any given component. The changes are meant to be dramatic, and may be subject to further revisions to remove undesirable parts or tweak how things work. Feedback will be invaluable for that. Everything should end up being saved game compatible, even if things are changed and then reverted.

Tagging @Eskhol , who has expressed interest in trying some of these experiments. Also, @imado552 if you like, you might find some of these interesting. I encourage you to only try out those that personally appeal to you. :)

Completely compatible with current campaigns.

Installation: Just extract to your game directory's program/locai folder, should replace 1 file. Press F11 to reinitilize if continuing a saved game.

Connections to other experiments: The deleveled bandits component is intended to operate alongside my rebalanced equipment tiers and removal of equipment minimums experiment, as part of a broader experiment into making the world not depend on player level, as discussed frequently here.

Just pick the experiments you want, and install in order (ie, if you want experiments 1 and 3, then install 1 first, then 3).

Detailed Changelog:

This experiment consists of three components, each short enough I can give a complete changelog (I'll show what I commented out first, then the new line)

1) Better AI Captains on higher difficulty levels

AI Ship Captains level now modified by difficulty level. 4 level drop in AI Captain level on landlubber difficulty, no change on mariner, 4 level increase seadog, 8 level increase on swashbuckler.

Should increase difficulty of AI encounters at sea if you are playing on Sea Dog or Swashbuckler

rank += (4*(GetDifficulty() - 2)); //TY added difficulty effect

Should apply to ship captains in direct sail/worldmap/coast raider if I understand the function's range correctly, but not apply to quest ships

2) Consistently tough, but not overly tough, bandits and outlaws

Random enemies (bandits and such, but not boarding enemies, those depend on captain level) will no longer be leveled with the player. Instead, bandits should have the level at which they would have previously had were the player level 12 (ie, random chance, and difficulty level, will influence their level, but it will be as if the player is permanently level 12 for purposes of their generation)

A level 5 starting character with no melee skills should NOT hunt bandits or go dungeon raiding with this installed until melee is somewhat trained up or he has backup. Train up on your ship, or hire tough officers to help first.

Should make bandits harder at the beginning, and pushovers later in the game (as seems right and realistic)

//pRank = makeint(sti(PChar.rank)*0.90 + rand(sti(PChar.rank)*(0.2+(GetDifficulty()*0.2))) + offset);
pRank = makeint(12*0.90 + rand(12*(0.2+(GetDifficulty()*0.2))) + offset); // TY let's try leveling the world as if the player were permanently level 12, for random bandits and such

3) Levels of friendlies, recruitable officers and such, depend only on leadership and player level, and no longer depend on luck

Just removing some more magical luck influence, and transferring it to leadership. Officer levels should stay mostly the same, assuming consistent player luck and leadership (might rise a bit if player has higher leadership)

//pRank = makeint(pRank * (1+((pLuck*2)+(pLead*3))/200)); //Take in account leadership and luck
pRank = makeint(pRank * (1+(pLead*5)/200)); //TY Let's remove some magical influence of luck

EDIT: New version of file uploaded, difficulty modifier for enemy captains changed.

Attachments

• LAi_CreateOfficer.c
    6.6 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
New version uploaded, changed the difficulty modifier to AI level. Adding a sum should be better (It will have the same effect to the highest level captains, but will be noticable in low level captains, unlike a multiple. Also, avoids the float/integer problem)

Now it is:

rank += (4*(GetDifficulty() - 2)); //TY added difficulty effect

Please redownload, sorry about needing to put up a fix. :)

Last edited:
Back