• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Favorite real (historical) ships

The Nameless Pirate

Just a pirate
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Ahoy fellow sailors! :ahoy
Be you pirate; Naval officer; merchant or anything in between!

Have a seat and enjoy the rum, for as long as we have it. :rumgone :cheers

This thread is a place where we can post our favorite historical ships, as you probably already have guessed.

How does it work?
You post a message that includes, the ship's name; the ship's stats; why she is your favorite ship and an image of her.

Why make this thread?
I made this thread for us naval history enthusiasts, as well as newcomers to naval history.

Those who already know about this stuff can discuss about it and exchange opinions, or maybe even learn even more things.

As for those who don't know about such things, they can start learning.
So everyone benefits! ;)

Notes:
This thread is for real ships only, historical or not, it doesn't matter but REAL ones!

While I love ships like the Black Pearl, this is not the place for it.
If you want you can ask me to make a thread for fictional ships, or make one yourself.

It doesn't have to be a military or pirate ship, merchant ships are also welcome.

Last edited:
So now that the introduction is made, let me introduce... the USS Constitution!

USS-Constitution__2018_GettyImages-476872323.jpg

USS_Constitution_fires_a_17-gun_salute.jpg

While ships of the line are nice, for me a ship must also be fast, and not just powerful.

She is both fast and powerful, when she was made, she was the last word of technology and there are reports of cannonballs bouncing off her hull, earning her the nickname Old Ironsides.

She is the second oldest commitioned warship in the world.
Second only to the equally legendary HMS Victory, but she is dry docked, so the USS Constitution is the oldest commitioned warship still afloat.

For stats see this: The US Navy -- Fact File: USS Constitution

Now @Pieter Boelen, you can add your favorite ship here.
I have multiple.
Listed below in attempted chronological order (for me).

Amsterdam (VOC ship) - Wikipedia (visited many times)

RV Calypso - Wikipedia (seen on TV)
6560-1: Diving Expedition Explorer (owner)

Europa (ship) - Wikipedia (visited, captain was instructor at Enkhuizen Nautical Academy)

Rainbow Warrior (1957) - Wikipedia (interest)

Alcyone (ship) - Wikipedia (seen on TV)

Scouting Amsterdam - Elfregi Zeeverkenners (sailed myself)
(Wooden "Schouw" and "Vlet")

Stad Amsterdam - Wikipedia (seen built, sailed as passenger for a few hours, captain was instructor at Enkhuizen Nautical Academy)
She's easily the most classy and beautiful ship I know. Excepting... perhaps... my own 9m sailboat "Atlantis", of course! :cheeky

I still remember when I was young(er) living in Amsterdam and I spent massive amounts of time at my favourite Scheepvaartmuseum there. This was in the days that the clipper Stad Amsterdam was being built there, so I first saw her as a hulk with no masts. Even then, I couldn't help but admire those sleek lines.

Of course I kept loosely in touch with her throughout the years (a genuine love will always remain love), but I hadn't stepped foot on board since SAIL 2005, right before starting at the Hogere Zeevaartschool Amsterdam. In the almost 15 years since, I finished my education there, worked as navigation officer at sea for 5 years and have done a wide variety of Maritime Research as well.

Yet in those 15 years, I never had a chance to return to her. Until a few weeks ago, back at the Scheepvaartmuseum. When I visited again, together with my family. And she was lying exactly where I first saw and remember her.

It all comes back full circle. :woot

EVER RENOWN - IMO 9055474 - Callsign 3FFR4 - ShipSpotting.com - Ship Photos and Ship Tracker (made 3D model)
MS Bremen - Wikipedia (made 3D model)

MS Zuiderdam - Wikipedia (sailed commercially)
MS Maasdam - Wikipedia (sailed commercially)
MS Amera - Wikipedia (former "Prinsendam", sailed commercially)

USS Constitution - Wikipedia (visited)
SS Great Britain - Wikipedia (visited)
HMS Warrior (1860) - Wikipedia (visited)
HMS Victory - Wikipedia (visited)

WASP (Ecoliner) - Dykstra Naval Architects (ran simulations)

Hydrograaf (schip, 1910) - Wikipedia (interest; potential to sail on)

Hallberg-Rassy 29 (owner)
Corsair Marine – The worlds best trailerable trimaran yachts (28, sailed)
Dehler Yachts - Wikipedia (28S, sailed)

HMS Unicorn (1824) - Wikipedia (community cooperation, visited)

SS Rotterdam - Wikipedia (visited)

Tres Hombres - Wikipedia (visited)

I can keep going, but time to sleep.

I imagine many sailors would agree. :yes
Forgive me TNP but not many. Lol xD Most people on that ship thought it was the "worst". It would've been better if they said, the most "stressed" because of the standards because of what it truly is. Well, it's not for everyone anyway. People that couldn't handle their sh*t, are the ones who complain so yeah. :woot:rofl Sorry for the sailor talk (this is not even considered salty :p) but ya'll should understand :woot:rofl But yes, while others see it as the biggest mistake of their lives I thought it was the greatest training ground for a new fish trying to learn the tides and waves at sea, land and air. :pflag:beer:

Well if you truly love the work and can cope with it, as you said, you are probably going to like even if you are stressed and possibly form an emotional bond with your ship.

The next ship I present to you is the Greek Armoured Cruiser: Georgios Averof (Γεώργιος Αβέρωφ).

averof.jpg
8c85514177f92ba2d65321973e26fc0c_XL.jpg
4189806.jpg

Now you may say, isn't Averof a Battleship?
Actually no, in reality it's a Pisa-class Armoured Cruiser.

Her full name in Greek is Θ/Κ Γεώργιος Αβέρωφ.

The Θ/Κ stands for Θωρακισμένο Καταδρομικό, which translates to Armoured Cruiser and not Battleship.

She was built in Italy and bought and given to Greek navy by Georgios Averof, and thus so she was named after him.

She was the most technically advanced ship in the Aegean at the time.

Armoured Cruisers where built in order to defeat anything except a Battleship but, they could out sail them. Kind of like the USS Constitution.

She was used in the Balkan wars, World War I and World War II.

For more details check this out: Greek cruiser Georgios Averof - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Glorious stories, @DavyJack and @The Nameless Pirate!
They both sounds like very awesome ships. :woot

In the meantime, I added a personal story of my own on the Clipper Stad Amsterdam in the SPOILER tag above.
Hopefully I'll be adding more later on.
Perhaps with a picture and a link here and there.
We'll see...

Nice, story @Pieter Boelen!

There's clearly an emotional connection to her.

And as Jack said...

A ship has a soul, it's not just something to get you from point A to point B, it's freedom and beauty.

Ahoy fellow sailors! :ahoy
Be you pirate; Naval officer; merchant or anything in between!

Have a seat and enjoy the rum, for as long as we have it. :rumgone :cheers

This thread is a place where we can post our favorite historical ships, as you probably already have guessed.

How does it work?
You post a message that includes, the ship's name; the ship's stats; why she is your favorite ship and an image of her.

Why make this thread?
I made this thread for us naval history enthusiasts, as well as newcomers to naval history.

Those who already know about this stuff can discuss about it and exchange opinions, or maybe even learn even more things.

As for those who don't know about such things, they can start learning.
So everyone benefits! ;)

Notes:
This thread is for real ships only, historical or not, it doesn't matter but REAL ones!

While I love ships like the Black Pearl, this is not the place for it.
If you want you can ask me to make a thread for fictional ships, or make one yourself.

It doesn't have to be a military or pirate ship, merchant ships are also welcome.
Interesting theme!! Good idea mate!! :onya
:ship

Back