• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feedback after 3 campaigns.

Olek

Landlubber
What you guys have done with this game is simply amazing, the game was good on release, but you have added a lot more immersion, choices and depth, I'm enjoying it immensely.

The only thing I think I could pick out of it is that it's short lived, it starts off hard, then you reach a certain point and then it becomes a walk over, once the walk over occurs interest diminishes.
I'm not sure if this is once a certain tier of ship is attained or the skill of character and officers reach a certain level, probably both, but it gets to the point that with a tier 1-3 ship I can easily destroy 3-4 similar ships on my own, this would in my opinion be extremely difficult, but it's not.

I play on seadog difficulty, realistic or hardcore realism, depending on my level of patients on the day, and all the realistic preferences.

I understand the great range in the level of skill between all players, what one finds easy another finds hard, and balancing for this is a nightmare (I'm part of a team that mods Rome 2), and the same situation happens in that game, you get to a point where your Empire mops the floor with everybody and the campaign is abandoned.

Just a few questions if I may:
1. Is swashbuckler level that much of a step up in difficulty from Seadog?
2. Do the AI captains get the same kind of skill bonuses as the player, including officers? if not then this could be a major disadvantage for the AI, as they are slower, less maneuverable, less accurate and slower to reload.

Basically the challenge is not consistent through the whole game, it gets easier, and in most games as a player levels up and gets better stats, the opponents get tougher to keep the level of challenge up, but in this case it seems the opponent difficulty is static, if a bonus to enemy captains could be given for each level of the player this may help.

Anyhow, keep up the great work, my suggestions are there not to criticize, but so I can enjoy longer more challenging campaigns :)

The highest difficulty should be far harder than the one before.
It removes certain caps that are normally in place to keep the game reasonable.

NPC ships don't get officers, even if in theory they should be able to handle them.
One day perhaps....

Enemies do get harder as the game progresses.

Back