• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

First impressions

bobboberts

Landlubber
I finally found the game for sale. One copy left at Futureshop here in Canada. Bestbuy told me it was discontinued awhile ago.

Pros; 20 times larger than AOP. and POTC. Much more to do. No crashes yet!

Cons; Plantation mission was impossible without forums help. The quest stopped dead and the Npc's refused to talk? Then I simply ran out of time. Only solution was to use step by step solution provided on forum.
You can't seem to be able to change Sea battle style game from Tactic to Dynamic. I've been fighting two spanish luggers for 6 hours now and ran out of ammunition. My guns couldn't hit the side of a barn.
It took my men about 15 minutes game time to reload. Sea battles are limited to speeding up time 6X instead of 20X.

Overall: 8/10. I give it high rating simply because I like this type of game and it's rare, but shouldn't be.

Glad ya like it mate! The opening is quite tough until ya get some experience built up. If you think the plantation quest was tough, wait till you make to the City of Abandoned Ships! I had to use the forum for help on that as well, and I still had a very tough time getting it accomplished. Have fun mate! :dance

Why have i seen this before or where have i seen this before. :shrug

The reason you couldn't hit anything is because your cannon skills are poor, if you hire a cannoneer that will help improve your aiming and loading times, if you hire crew from a French port you will have good cannoneers which again reduces loading times. If you use 12 pounder cannons then you have the fastest loading cannons rather than trying to use the culverines which take longer to load. When you have good cannoner skills then use culverines if you want the added distance. Next when you see a battle on the world map between your nation or a freind of your nation against the pirates or who ever save your game and go and investigate, when the two swards symbol appear hit the space bar you will get info on which nations are in the battle and how many for each nation, if your nation has the uper hand join the battle and use this to help build your cannoner skills up, you don't need to sink or capture a ship just fire at it to build your skills up that way if you ever do find yourself in a sticky situation at least you have been building the right skills up, Nav, Cannon and Aim. If your doing merchant missions then your also improving trade and when you repair your ship at the shipyard that builds the repair skill up so entering a battle every so often does help more than you can imagine and as long as you save before entering the battle you can alway's load that game back up if you didn't like what you saw.

As for not been able to switch between tactical and dynamic is not important to me, i never use or ever will use dynamic, i want the feeling to be realistic and enjoy the battles. Its nice when your the underdog and you some how win, you feel good about it aswell. But only tactics will help you win those battles which means dynamic is out because it takes the tactical side of the game out.

I admit the vanila game isn't as special as made out to be but its vanila game is better than any vanila pirate RPG to have been broght out so far. With mods this game is getting better when build mods are introduced this will be a whole new game. As its stands at the moment its a very playable game and enjoyable too.

Back