• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

First person combat issues

ReiAyanami

Sailor Apprentice
I decided to make a new topic about this, cause it really bothers me for quite a while now. Ok I play this game mostly for the naval part of it. And I have become quite good at it, I play at difficulty captain or around there. With the RTLB crew survives better and after some training and a good officers hunt I can safely say that my 100% sea wolf crew is top notch. The most difficult part of the game though is the first person combat.....It is absurd, especially if they are part of a quest.....After the first few times I played the game, I learned about this, so now I always fix the character at the beginning to be a good fighter.

Quests frequently ask me to kill 3-4 or even more people, alone, as we all are crowded in a small house room, go into enemy prisons and rescue prisoners from the mouth of the wolf, when an officer can single shot kill me, yet if this was a battle at sea, I could have blown them out of the water......
Needless to say that I give up to this game once I get stuck in such occasions, and pick it up anew after few months.....

So I have some questions:
Do the governor quests check about the level of the character? (2nd spanish quest, ok I admit I was at the low level of 10 (!), but there is this guy I had to beat and imprison who was level 26 with 3X fencing than me...) If I try the same mission when I am 20 level, will he be again 26 or rather 52?

So, what kind of level should I start to get into the big quests anyway? At captain difficulty, I need to sent half the Caribbean to the bottom to have enough exp to kill 3 pirates in a room?

How can you know he's 52 or so...

All I know is they are always 6-10level higher than you.
Skill and Weapon you use matters...

If you somehow only give a scratch on your enemy (like 10/256hp) Goodluck... I barely lived fighting a whole 10 of them...
This was on Sailor mode... They are still hard...

The enemy gets harder when your HP / EN gets higher.
The harder your enemy. The faster you gain your skill.

They are hard because of the Mode your playing mapbe...
Even Bosun is almost as hard as it is...

The hardest quest for you is the Austin Quest...
Where a Killer approach you and take you to a meeting in cave / dungeon....
This quest is quite confusing...
It doesn't update in the LogBook until you kill the 2nd Killer and talk with the 3rd Killer.
Thus Austin Quest is now pointed out in your logbook.

I haven't done any Spanish Quest...
I'm more into English... (regrets)
Pirates... (more regrets)
And just free roaming around the sea looting Gold and Silver ~

The game is harder if you play mode above Bosun...

Being outnumbered by crew is worst...
If you have a crew of 1/8...
Enemy have full...
They are 7x Stronger than you.

and Also... The biggest quest and the most longest quest of all...
is these 2...

Kill The Beggars chained with CoAS and Tenochitlan chained with Brig Queen . . .

I do not believe any of the quests have skills checks when you get them. This can be really annoying, as quests like the Bluebird can be gotten relatively quickly, but you are in no position to win the battle...

Some ideas that have worked for me...
-Officers (fighters) help out in boarding, caves, etc. everything except the 1-on-1 battles in houses, cabins, etc.
-Good equipment. The weapon you and your officers are doing can make a huge, huge differences. The frequency and type of weapon available at vendors appears to be related to your skill level or rank... so the more you use light weapons, the better ones you'll be able to buy. Vendors are usually better than the store-keeper.
-Get the defensive perks, wear a cuirass, etc. Between a spanish cuirass, the Advanced Defence, and Fencing master (?) You can get over 50% damage resistance ( I believe)
-Pistols! when you see your opponent go to make that killer over hear swing, jump back and shoot him. You should have enough time to block after the shot before he can attack again since the recovery is longer for that strike
-Take the tree of life and dynamo perks to increase health and stamina faster
-Max reaction at character creation as this makes a huge difference to stamina
-Personally, I like using light or medium weapons. Due to the recovery time from getting damaged, it is often better to just keep hitting your opponent, even if not for a lot of damage, just so they can't hit you back. I find with heavy weapons i quickly run out of stamina and can only block while they attack me, with many of their strikes breaking through (heavy weapons aren't as good for blocking)
-SLOW THE GAME DOWN with the minus key on the number pad. It is a lot easier to win battles at 0.5x speed. You can see the strikes coming, have more time to respond, and hitting spacebar will break your strike and block. Way, way easier.
-Take the defensive perks first, then move onto the offensive ones (sword). Make pistol perks the last priority... you'll probably only get one shot off in combat, and by the time you have the opportunity to make another one, you'll be reloaded anyway. If playing with the setting where pistols DO NOT auto reload, ignore this as it's a completely different game (more realistic... but i don't usually use this option as i like shooting things!), and you may want the perks to get 2 and 4-shot pistols.
-Don't forget that you can move around during combat. Jumping backwards and sideways can help you dodge strikes...
-Lastly, the one-shot pistol kills from your opponent are a pain. These usually only happen when you are low levels... as your health goes up, you can weather them better. Keep lots of potions on so you can stay at full health if you think they're going to shoot you. If you are in melee, they won't pull the gun out, so if they have a gun, get up close FAST
-If you can't avoid the shot, try to be moving and as far away as you can when they fire to increase the likelihood they miss.

Hope that helps!

Officers are stupid and useless unless you are nearby...

I left my officer alone and he died -.-

I gave him the best Medium weapon Cortelas and a Forth Barrel Gun. Along with Cuirass... he still die...
Everytime I board a ship... I rather be by myself... than bringing him in with me... he only do these to me...

1. When I try to dodge a power blow... He shot me from the back and I totally got wipe out...
2. When an enemy do a power blow... He blocks... And then he left himself wide open ( not blocking ) while the enemy slash him left and right...
3. The only useful thing he can do for me is... Back to back fighting. ( best position is at stairs in big Deck ) I beat my half he beat... none... I go over to the back side of his attacking enemy... and Killed all...
4. he's only useful for blocking Musketeer shots.. LOL !

I prefer fighting alone, And as for Officer. My crew are my backup, I just use my officer for cannon bosun etc...

Is you Master Light Weaponry, Medium Weapon is as same as Light Weapon when it's max. So on with Heavy.

if you start of with Heavy sword, it will drain energy really fast. so start Light then master it. move on with Medium then Heavy.
Using heavy will be like using Medium Sword.

To easily avoid a gun shot. Get within a few meter away from him and circle around him. He will slowly aim at you and slowly drag his gun towards you in a shooting pose. Eventually he shoot and miss...

Best way to avoid getting hit is. BLOCK ALWAYS. ATTACK WHEN HE'S OPEN. Easy to hit him back is when he try to power blow you.

Combo - Attack > PowerBlow > Attack > Attack > Attack > PowerBlow > Block ( he try to power blow or hit you ) > counter back attack. use your style. Mine always allout.
Best way to avoid being hit by a PowerBlow From your enemy is to drain his energy from him...

is to PARRY. or Feint if you want which doesn't do any good dmg...

In a group, Swing Sword Often if you can Tank and Potion alot.
Switch shooting and Swording when neccessary.

Etc style your own way into fighting.

I can handle 10people by myself... quite easy if you know what your doing.

I have not had as much trouble with officer fighters as you have from the sounds of it, 2nd Mate... One reason might be because i'm running around in the bluebird, so they help compensate for the lost crew...

I agree with you whole heart-idly about the weapons... master light, then move on.

Some differences in tactics, but as you pointed out to each their own!

You did point out one thing i'd like to expand on... officers can be very very bad with pistols. They are more likely to hit you, another officer, or your crew before the enemy, and they usually only shoot when they can't engage due to range... usually because you are in front of them... so they shoot you in the back, forcing you to recover, and probably take a whole bunch of hits in the process.

Feinting and Parrying is VERY effective, especially for the power-attacks, as 2nd Mate said. If running on 0.5 speed, you can do the same for normal strikes....

Back