• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

First step

Szagrat777

Landlubber
Hi, this is my first post. I started playing in COAS 2 days ago. Can anyone give me some advice about what do first and what is the easiest way to earn a lot of money ? And can anyone add her a map ?

Welcome to the forum bud. :onya

First steps i think there are some tips in the tips thread, anyway see bellow for the first steps.

1. Visit the store and speak to the owner, ask him if he wishes to charter your ship, he will tell you about a ship called the Bluebird say yes to this quest (no time limit so you can do it when ever you are ready).

2. Save the game now

3. Speak with the store owner again and again ask him if he wishes to charter your ship, he will give you a job, deliver X amount of good to XX in the set time, this is where the save game comes in. If the job is too far away from your current location reload the game and repeat this step till you are happy with the job.

4. Deliver the goods to where ever it was to be delivered and save the game, repeat the above steps.

5. You will often notice you are been chaced by pirates, this is a good way to make money too and advance your skill level however the higher your skill level the harder the better the pirate ships and the more you will encounter in a fleet. If you choose to battle the pirates then capture the pirate ship, place an officer in command of the ship and head to the nearest friendly port, sell all cargo to the store owner replenish any ammo you used etc, strip the ship of the guns and sell them first then sell the ship.

5. As soon qas you have enough money buy a better ship that can carry more cargo, if you have cptured ships then before selling them check to see if they are better than your current ship swap the ships if they are. Alway's try to use a ship with decent speed as you stand a better chance of escaping enemy fleets and pirates should you need to.

6. Visit Bermuda and speak with the store owner, make upgrades to the cargohold, and sails, this will allow you to carry more cargo and sail faster, you can upgrade ships hull strength, make more space for more crew and increase the max calibure by one calibure ie, from 24 Ibs to 32 Ibs if playing with cannon mod or combined mod that will differ as more cannons was added.

The merchant jobs for the store owner are the quickest way to build your trade skill up and if you combine that with attacking pirate ships you will build other skills up too. just alway's keep a free officer with you to take command of any ship you capture. Swap ships with better more powerfull ships or ships that can carry more cargo than your current ship.

As for a map here you go

See this topic for more tips.

It's any metod to increase speed when i fight in sea battle ? I remeber when i was playing in Sea Dogs and there i could increase speed so battles wasn't so long.

It's any metod to increase speed when i fight in sea battle ? I remeber when i was playing in Sea Dogs and there i could increase speed so battles wasn't so long.

If there is (Which I don't think there is) I haven't found one yet. But A good tactic is try and make sure your enemies are down wind of you. Also, Corvettes are among the best ships if you wish to use the above strategies, They are fast, highly maneuverable and have a decent cargo hold. (Which makes a huge increase at Bermuda).

To increase speed you can press the following buttons

To increase speed 2X press R
To increase speed up to 8X press repeatedly the + button on the numpad, in battles you can increase speed on the numpad as shown to 8X, and on world map i think you can increase speed using the + button on the numpad which will increase speed up to 3X or 6X can't remember i think its 6X.

With so many ships now ported over from POTC the Corvette is one of a few ships with great speed, decent cargoholds and suffient amount of guns, the Arabella (quest ship from Peter Blood story line) is a 52 gun Frigate with a nice sized cargohold and great speed. Ships ported over are not to shabby either, some have great speed and decent gargoholds and other's have good cargoholds and decent speed.

The vanilla game has about 28 ships we have ported over around 70+ ships so as you can imagine its not easy picking which ship is the one to use. I have so many favourites i end up with every friendly port storing ships for me and i might never sail them but if i don't have it and i like it i have to store it otherwise i will hunt for another one so i can store it. I think there are 3 Corvette's now in the game and tons of Frigates aswell as trade ships like the Fluet, Galleon etc. There's the War Galleon with 40 guns, the Fluet Of War with 30+ guns, Pinnace Of War with i think 50 guns alot more ships of the line, many ships with 8 to 16 guns, the smallest ship well boat is the Gunboat with 4 or 5 guns follwed by the War Tartan.

Some merchant wanted to gave me a question about some xebec. I didn't take this quest so can i take it ? Will merchant again talk with me and give me it ? Or it's too late ?

I have no idea, i've never turned the quest down. You can try asking another store owner and see if he tells you about the Bluebird if not then perhaps going to Bermuda and talking to the store owner there will re-active the quest for you.

you have to talk with the citizens on the streets...go into the houses and talk with them...one of them tell you that he's the spy...:ixi or :walkplank(not in the water but to the governor)

How i can get the better ship than this first sloop ? In shipyard isn't any new ships or they very expensive. My sloop is to weak to attack other because everyone destroy me.

Thats where the tactical side comes into play bud, use the 12 Ibs cannons because they have decent range and will load quick enough, if you have the French are nutral to you and the nation you picked at the start then head to one of there cities and hire your crew there because they are good at gunnery which will improve loading times drastically, hire a cononerer asap as he will improve reload times, aim and accuracy. Hire a good navigator because he will improve at what speed you can sail at, this will help you get out of dangerous situations fast and help with naval tactics. Sail with max crew if attacking other ships, you will need them.

Use the shot types to your advantages, if the ship you are attacking is faster use chain shots and aim for the sails, slowing the enemy ship down, keep doing it till you are gaining advantages over that part of the battle, if you are the faster ship use grape shots to kill the crew on board, try to keep out of the range of grappling till you have the advantage with crew, once you have that advanatage its all down to you. Try to turn your ship so either your bow or stern is facting the enemy when they try to braodside you and rig your sails to protect them. After they have firsed there broadside lower sails and do what ever you was going to do. I only ever use either round shot or bombs if i have no intentions of boarding the enemy ship(s), my tactic is normally demast them, kill there crew board them, keep ship sell at friendly port or keep and swap with my own ship if better and sell my old ship at friendly port.

Now for the ships been generated at the shipyard, the easy way to that is (if you are above rank 3) walk up to the shipyard owner save the game before speaking with him, check what ships are there, if none or none you like the look of, reload your game and try again. You can keep doing this as much as you want but you must save your game before speaking with him first.

Can anyone know how to steal a plans of some ship ? I have got question in which i must to steal a plans of some ship but i don't know how.

1. Head to the port the plans are located and go to the shipyard, appraoch the owner as you do you will see some plans on the desk in front of him.

2. Pick up the plans

3. Some guy's will now attack you, its pointless killing them because the shipyard owner can't be killed and chances are the guy's will kill you easily so take 3 officer's with you to try and keep the guy's off you long enough for you to escape.

4. Put your weapon away and run for the door, after leaving the shipyard run for the docks and board your ship because the guards will try to attack you aswell.

5. Return the plans to the shipyard owner who gave you the quest, or if you had something else to do at the port you stole them from go back ashore. No one will attack you now, you might see the gaurds putting there weapons away. (i think the gaurds attacking you is a bug)

6. Once you have delivered the plans you might get paid depending on how valuable the plans are, but either way the quest is complete, this is a random quest so you can get this quest many timesat different points in the game, i don't know if you can be given more than one of these quests at any one time.

Your rank effects what iteam's are available to you, the higher your rank the more iteam's are available to find, steal, accuire etc. I don't normally buy the spy glass i tend to find them often on dead bodies or on the ships. You will find them on the merchant stores dotted throughout all towns. aswell. The spy glass rates from.
cheap
regular
good
excellent
exclussive (i don't think you can buy this one)

I have no idea at what rank each spy glass becomes available, i know you can get the good spy glass at around rank 8 or so. :onya

I discover something strange. After i killed captain when i had attacked pirate ship and i took things from box in his cabin i can't go out. It is normal ?

You mean you can't leave the captains cabin? thats normal, you will get a icon to indicate the next area is open, once you collect all the iteam's you can press space bar to advance to the ship interface screen which will display your ship on the left and the ship you have boarded on the right, from here you can either keep the ship by placing a officer as captain onboard it or you can transfer all cargo and sink the ship, the other option is to swap ships which lets you take control of the new ship and you can do one of the above to the other ship.

Back