• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Flash developer

Hammie

Storm Engine developer
Staff member
Storm Modder
We still need a flash developer to for creating the menus/interfaces.

So if anyone knows how to create flash applications, you could really help us...

Added that to the GameDev add, wish I had thought about that two weeks ago. :facepalm

Hammie, do we actually need someone with Flash to develop our menu's? Or would it be possible to use one of the freeware alternatives that also use Flash Action Script, such as FlashDevelop Editor?

If we can use one of the freeware editors, it might be possible to get at least some simple menus to start, we wouldn't need anything real complicated right off would we?

Hammie, do we actually need someone with Flash to develop our menu's? Or would it be possible to use one of the freeware alternatives that also use Flash Action Script, such as FlashDevelop Editor?

If we can use one of the freeware editors, it might be possible to get at least some simple menus to start, we wouldn't need anything real complicated right off would we?
Somewhere in tons of documentation pages, there is a page that explains how to work with free flash development tools...I know because i've seen it long time ago

Anyway for time being what i found is this

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/743567-Getting-Started-with-Scaleform-amp-UDK
http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Scaleform.html

I actually have flash atm, but I already have plenty of stuff to do so I was hoping we would eventually find someone who could do the flash part.

Thanks Andy, I'll give them a look when I get the chance mate. :onya

Hammie, I understand completely, that's one reason I was asking, you definitely shouldn't have to do it all yourself! I have no experience with Flash, but I do have some experience with HTML, and I heard that action script was similar to HTML. I also did some playing with simple menu systems back a long time ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth. Nothing graphical though, it was all basic and batch files.

I thought I might at least have a look and see if I could help take some of the workload off of you mate. I'll have a look at it and see if I can make any sense out of it. It may take me a bit to get it going though.

We don't need super complicated interfaces right now. Just basic placeholders that will allow us to execute specific aspects of the game programming. We can replace it later on, just colored boxes would work in my opinion.

I'm doing Flash at Uni atm :D, so might be able to help.

In truth, Flash is generally not that great and the majority of what you do when it comes to something worthwhile is all just code - making the program a little less important. Pretty much you do the art in Photoshop (at least I avoid art in Flash like a rash), and make it interactive/game or whatever with actionscript.

Saw the fact that you guys are starting a full game before i started working and loved the idea :D - between work and Uni now; really looking to put some game development time in (since that was the whole point of Uni :D - though they're kinda of slow with it -.-); plus take some focus off of work after a full time Christmas period.
Been working on Company of Heroes: Eastern Front for 5 or so years (2D art, up to coding and up the lead developers); and of course started off back in the day with Photoshop 5? 6? doing sails here :p
EF is great; but really interested in a full game and generally the space it gives to play with.
If you guys need any help with anything; I've pretty much gotten some experience of some kind in every area of development, and general long term experience in most things related to it - plus wanting to give the graphics tablet my gf got me a go :D
I know I'd love to give animation a try, as it usually depresses me when not enough time is put in unless your paying £30 for the game :p
Ignoring the fact that I just watched Beowulf...first and foremost thing I'd want out of a nice new sea faring game is that holding onto the rope screaming at the seven seas as foam, wind and rain tear at your beard from every angle...by Odins beard......
So i'd love to help with that :D

Sounds like you'd fit in perfectly, mate! It's nice to see one of our long time forum members returning, as well. :cheers
I'll add you to the GUI Developers group; welcome to the team!

Currently we're still at an early development stage with little to show. Our main programmers are short on time at the moment, but I expect things will pick up quite soon.
In the meantime, you might want to have a look at the interface design ideas thread here: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/user-interface-design-ideas.19896/
You could probably start prototyping some of the interfaces, which would be very useful for seeing the concepts in action.

Awesome, thanks mate :D
Got an exam tomorrow/Monday, and then my power supply for my comp (-.-) arrives hopefully tuesday; but i'll see if i can get a hold of the pdfs for the concepts and see if i can hand crank my notebook :p

Back