• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Confirmed Bug Flashing danger alert remains after slaying all evil monkeys

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
When attacked by a group consisting only of 1-2 monkeys in the jungle, the flashing danger alert on character portrait remains flashing even after all monkeys are dead. Experienced this 3 times while wandering through the jungles so far.

(Also, taking this opportunity to ask a question. When wandering through the jungle, how do you tell groups of bandits apart from groups of friendly NPCs? I'd love to strike first, but I can't seem to tell the difference.)

Are there any additional jungle "buildings" around?
Maybe you upset the general BuildingSet group?

The only real way to tell friend from foe is that enemies draw their weapon as they get close.
Some outfits are also more likely to be enemies, but that isn't always a guarantee.

I don't think that is possible--I've done nothing but run around the jungle killing things, and haven't messed with building at all.

It always happens to me when I engage monkey groups (or monkeys plus natives)--flashing danger light remains even after all dead. But it never happens with any other kind of opponent.

Maybe something to do with monkeys not needing to "draw their swords"?

There are jungle locations with additional BuildingSet trees.

But it could indeed also be monkey specific.
Would need to be checked some time.

I think it should be reproducable--I've now slain a total of more than 40 evil monkeys in this playthrough as of last night (filling up and selling off my cargohold with the leather), and everytime there is an evil monkey in the group, across some 6 different jungle scenes and 2 outskirts scenes where I hunt, it has occurred.

Happilly, the bug is harmless, and switching scenes resolves it. ;)

Probably something going not quite right with the "corpse mode" for monkeys.
I suspect their corpses stick around, remaining hostile, even though they're dead.

I can totally confirm this "monkey business" and all stuff @Tingyun said here. It has been happening to me since I ever remember, but I never really worried about that.

I can't find the place where the relation for the monkey is set. I don't know for sure either if they are generated as group or as single characters. I would need to test it ingame.

I think they're characters like any others.
My suspicion lies with the corpse mode code.

I can also confirm that if there are monkeys around then the red alert never goes away when all enemies are dead. My most recent experience was during a recent raid on Port Royale dungeon. There was one monkey. The red alert stayed when I'd followed my usual route through the dungeon and wiped out all enemies. (Including the one in the section behind bars that you're probably not supposed to be able to kill - side-step is wonderful. xD)

I always kill that guy using a gun of some kind.

Can there be monkeys in dungeons?

One follow-up, I think there is a related bug:

If you are in a screen with flashing red lights, whether from a monkey that is dead OR live people you just haven't killed, then on switching screens, if there are valid enemies in the new screen anywhere, the flashing red light remains even if they haven't drawn swords.

For example, enter a dungeon in a town, get the flashing red light, leave and return to the town screen before killing the last guy, and if there are bandits somewhere in the town screen, the flashing lights will remain on from the beginning, long before you have seen them or they draw swords.

This bug is most noticable with monkeys, because with monkeys you are at night in the jungle and often entering a new screen will have enemies somewhere (the only ones that don't count are the bandits who talk to you first), but it is present with humans as well.

Back