• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Forgive the rant --- help the ranter?

MarkQuinn

Powder Monkey
Hi. I'm looking for a mod, or at least someone to tell me how to do it myself, which reduces the aggressiveness of pirates. I started replaying this game after a long time and chose the English. This comes on the heels of playing a LOT of Sid Meier's Pirates! and the gameplay between that and AOP is strikingly different. In Sid's game I really feel like a pirate. I'm the hunter, not the hunted. It's a game about getting as much loot and fame as you can before you get too old to fight. Your real enemy is time. Whereas in AOP, your enemies are everywhere. I can't tell you how tired I am of sailing around with these pirate ships chasing me like they're radar guided missiles. I know I could just try to increase my disposition with the pirate faction but really I don't want to have to bother with that every time I play a new game. I've been a strong critic of Akella's total disregard for realism in every one of their pirate games since Sea Dogs, and this one is no exception. Well, at last, they removed the Portuguese who had no business in Caribbean waters, they finally actually GAVE us a Caribbean (sort of), but the sea is so teaming with pirates that it's just not any fun for me (and yes I have reduced encounters). When a pirate chases you every single time you leave port, it kind of desensitizes you to them altogether and the game takes on the frantic pace and feel of a first person shooter. If piracy existed to the extent that it does in this game, there would be no commerce whatsoever in the real Caribbean and everyone in the west today would derive from some independent petty pirate kingdom.

I've scoured the files in my AOP folder but can't find anything that would help. Whatever it takes, I'll do. I'm willing to reduce pirate agression to nothing if I can. I'm willing to reduce pirate spawning if I can. If all else fails, and if it wouldn't destroy any major quests, I'm willing to remove the pirate faction altogether.

Can any of this be done? Can AOP be turned into a true pirate game where we, the main characters, are the hunters, not the perpetually hunted?
Being hunted by a nation after you've wrong them is one thing, but the pirates really need to be toned down.

Could someone please, please help me? I really want to like this game --- I truly do --- but as it stands now the pace of constant fighting and running from pirate fleets simply undermines any ounce of realism Akella created with (yet another) lovely and realistic sailing engine. And yes, I know that removing pirates or reducing their agression would take much of the challenge from the game. A shame Akella couldn't have presented other challenges, like managing a crew and keeping them happy, instead of relying on the tird old philosophy of ganging up on you with a neverending avalanche of spawning enemies. When I want to be challenged on the high seas, I'll load up Silent Hunter IV. For now, I'd just like a much more relaxed, toned down "age of pirates".

<!--quoteo(post=215365:date=Sep 25 2007, 04:51 PM:name=MarkQuinn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarkQuinn @ Sep 25 2007, 04:51 PM) [snapback]215365[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi. I'm looking for a mod, or at least someone to tell me how to do it myself, which reduces the aggressiveness of pirates. I started replaying this game after a long time and chose the English. This comes on the heels of playing a LOT of Sid Meier's Pirates! and the gameplay between that and AOP is strikingly different. In Sid's game I really feel like a pirate. I'm the hunter, not the hunted. It's a game about getting as much loot and fame as you can before you get too old to fight. Your real enemy is time. Whereas in AOP, your enemies are everywhere. I can't tell you how tired I am of sailing around with these pirate ships chasing me like they're radar guided missiles. I know I could just try to increase my disposition with the pirate faction but really I don't want to have to bother with that every time I play a new game. I've been a strong critic of Akella's total disregard for realism in every one of their pirate games since Sea Dogs, and this one is no exception. Well, at last, they removed the Portuguese who had no business in Caribbean waters, they finally actually GAVE us a Caribbean (sort of), but the sea is so teaming with pirates that it's just not any fun for me (and yes I have reduced encounters). When a pirate chases you every single time you leave port, it kind of desensitizes you to them altogether and the game takes on the frantic pace and feel of a first person shooter. If piracy existed to the extent that it does in this game, there would be no commerce whatsoever in the real Caribbean and everyone in the west today would derive from some independent petty pirate kingdom.

I've scoured the files in my AOP folder but can't find anything that would help. Whatever it takes, I'll do. I'm willing to reduce pirate agression to nothing if I can. I'm willing to reduce pirate spawning if I can. If all else fails, and if it wouldn't destroy any major quests, I'm willing to remove the pirate faction altogether.

Can any of this be done? Can AOP be turned into a true pirate game where we, the main characters, are the hunters, not the perpetually hunted?
Being hunted by a nation after you've wrong them is one thing, but the pirates really need to be toned down.

Could someone please, please help me? I really want to like this game --- I truly do --- but as it stands now the pace of constant fighting and running from pirate fleets simply undermines any ounce of realism Akella created with (yet another) lovely and realistic sailing engine. And yes, I know that removing pirates or reducing their agression would take much of the challenge from the game. A shame Akella couldn't have presented other challenges, like managing a crew and keeping them happy, instead of relying on the tird old philosophy of ganging up on you with a neverending avalanche of spawning enemies. When I want to be challenged on the high seas, I'll load up Silent Hunter IV. For now, I'd just like a much more relaxed, toned down "age of pirates".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I couldnt agree with you more!!!

I too have the same problem with wanting a simulator but getting an arcadey hybrid which just takes away from the immersiveness of the game.

When I first played PotC i was very disappointed to find you could not sail real time (or speeded up for that matter) in sailing mode from one place/region/island/port to another.

The other thing was the map mode as it was next to useless. You couldnt plot courses and travel at a normal pace. Something so simple it was done in Cutthroats many years ago. Instead we have to open up the Sea Map and frantically avoid the hoardes of pirates and other ships. Its like some kids game for the under fives!!!

I just want a real time sailing mode similar to the Silent hunter games where you actually do move from one location to another where if you want watch one port disappear in the distance behind you and see another loom into view ahead of you. Is that to much to ask?

And the Silent Hunter map mode where it slows down to a crawl whenever your lookout sees a distant ship so you can work out what to do rather than furiously hack at the keys as you wizz round the map at hundreds of miles an hour trying to avoid a head on collision with them. These are usually meant to be magestic sailing ships in the carribean sea but i just get the impression of toy speed boats in a pond.

When i bought AoP I thought (or was hoping) that this would all have been changed. Even after the Super Mod and updates i see its still the same. cant anyone please change this as the makers of the game seem to think the speedboats option is a good idea!

As MarkQuinn says the ever present Pirates make sthis game even more of a joke.

The first time i tried moving from one port to another i was chased constantly from the second i left the port until i got to just outside my destination. Before i could do anything i was in a fight with 2 pirate ships as i ran headlong into them thinking i was just about to dock. After buying them off the other pirates who were behind me were on me like a flash. I avoided them by sailing straight away from the port i was heading (or trying to head) but ran into a storm instead. OK i managed to survive this but my ship was sinking and i had to make it to the port. As soon as i popped into the joyous thing called the 'sea map' i was immediatly pounced on by the other 2 pirates whom i bought off again. Finally i just made it int the port where guess what was waiting for me when i though i had finally made it to safety??... go on.. you'll never guess.... thats right 2 pirate ships! So i couldnt even dock as i was dead in the water slowly sinking and being circled by the 2 ships. I just hit escape and ended the game. So that was one storm and 3 sets of pirates encountered in one short simple journy to a neighbouring island. And thats with pirates and everything turned to low.

Sorry to butt in on your thread but i thought it could do with a 'Bump' and as your gripes are almost exactly the same as mine i thought I wold lend my support.

I'm going back to playing Silent Hunt IV again until a proper pirate simulator comes along.

<!--quoteo(post=218594:date=Oct 23 2007, 02:57 PM:name=Groggsy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Groggsy @ Oct 23 2007, 02:57 PM) [snapback]218594[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When I first played PotC i was very disappointed to find you could not sail real time (or speeded up for that matter) in sailing mode from one place/region/island/port to another.

The other thing was the map mode as it was next to useless. You couldnt plot courses and travel at a normal pace. Something so simple it was done in Cutthroats many years ago. Instead we have to open up the Sea Map and frantically avoid the hoardes of pirates and other ships. Its like some kids game for the under fives!!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Just in case you didn't already know: CouchcaptainCharles made a DirectSail mod for PotC Build 13 that allows you to sail from one island to another in 3D sailing mode and you will encounter random ships and other surprises along the way. This mod can be installed seperately on top of Build 13 and is included in the Build 14 Alpha versions.

and the overall speed of the game is slowed down quite a bit, in fact. of course, the time in 3D sailing is WAY off in comparison to that on the world map, but there's not that much that can be done about that without messing the game up. the ships on the worldmap are also changed into much better versions.

Back