• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Forts and firing

P2000

Landlubber
well i have been given the task of destroying dominica fort.i have been storming the fort with 2 man o war, 1 frigate, 2 lineships.<br>
but after 20 mins of gameplay i am able to destroy one cannon. could you
give me a more efficient way and quicker way. or give some tips on fort
bombardment. you know like which ships to use, how to fire........Ok. I read in other posts that with the perks proc cann.. you can destroy ships. But till now i could not sink a ship throgh acannons. when i fire broad side there is very very less damage done on the enemy ships. when i use grape shots with man o war just 20 sailors die every broadside fire. so i can not understand why are my attacks not effective. even c lass 6 ships i can not sink by man o war. So i need tips and hints on how to fire at enemy ships. i need the prioper ways. till now i have always grappled ships and sunk them.
so i need to know the proper way and equipment to destroy ships and
forts effectively.please someone help.

i mean also how to fire and where to fire and when to fire. i mean what should be my aiming when i shoot at ships and forts.

You know what i mean. i know i\ a m messing up. but please try to understand.
tahnks
p200

mhhh...couldn't really understand your problem...thst sounds as you use only 8 pounders on your ships...then I would say use better cannons.
I could sink ships with my frigate...and also I destroyed some fort cannons...maybe your not skilled enough...you need good cannon and aiming skill to be effective...if you attacking with a fleet you should use competent officers and not... :boom

to destroy forts only shoot on them...
to destroy ships you shouldn't shoot on the sails :D if you have a big ship like a MoW it yould be that a little ship is to small to hit it (had it in CMv2) so that you only hit the sails...then try more distance

mhhh...couldn't really understand your problem...thst sounds as you use only 8 pounders on your ships...then I would say use better cannons.
I could sink ships with my frigate...and also I destroyed some fort cannons...maybe your not skilled enough...you need good cannon and aiming skill to be effective...if you attacking with a fleet you should use competent officers and not... :boom

to destroy forts only shoot on them...
to destroy ships you shouldn't shoot on the sails :D if you have a big ship like a MoW it yould be that a little ship is to small to hit it (had it in CMv2) so that you only hit the sails...then try more distance
Man i am using 48 lbs cannons on all 5 of my ships. I have 100 navigation, cannon ,grappling and trade skills. i have all the perks unlocked. So i cann not understand why are the enemies ships not damaged when i fire. where should i be aiming at. i think all my shots do not hit the boats. so please tell me where to target the cursor or aim at.

Thanks for replying

hope you are shooting with cannonballs and not with bombs...bombs do less damage in CMv3

and shurely you should shoot on the hull and not on the sails :rolleyes:

Has anyone else tried to destroy a fort?

destroying ships in CMV3 is far more easier than it was in CMV2.

I think the problem here lies with the manual aiming, not cannons or ship skills. When you manually aim at a ship, wait for the aiming reticule (cursor) to turn red, that's when the cannons are aimed at the ship's hull. If that doesn't work and your aim and cannons skills are both at 100, just use the auto aim function when in sailing mode.

Yes bombs have been changed to do less damage since they wasn't around in the period this games based on. Roundshot is much more effective.

In CMV3.2 you will notice a huge improvement for forts, the forts range will be much more like it should be so you won't be able to use the distance to your advantage since the forts will be able to reach further than you can. Those 92Ibs cannons are working at long last. :dance

So in short what does it mean, well you can't attack a fort from what was then its weak points ie out of forts range. The next thing is if your courght sneaking into a town via the docks the forts will be able to reach you so no more using the weakness of the forts range to your advantage. Oh and i'm affraid this also means that the distance between you and your enemy must be further than 1000 yards before the option for the world map will show. Its more like 2000 yards now (still to be tested fully).

Work on trying to improve the distance at which a enemy is seen on the world map and can be engaged is been worked on so that you can enter the sail mode and almost exit straight away again but that is currently work in progress.

Because forts have a longer range now you will see forts from a further distance, so you enter sail mode some 8 to 10000 yards from the island you will see the fort (through the spyglass of course). The fort will only start firing on you (if your enemy to it obviosly) if your within 2200 yards of it. However just because you can see the fort doesn't mean you can use the sail to option, this remains as it has done from the vanilla. This will remain like that sorry. xD:

Yes bombs have been changed to do less damage since they wasn't around in the period this games based on. Roundshot is much more effective.

In CMV3.2 you will notice a huge improvement for forts, the forts range will be much more like it should be so you won't be able to use the distance to your advantage since the forts will be able to reach further than you can. Those 92Ibs cannons are working at long last. :dance

So in short what does it mean, well you can't attack a fort from what was then its weak points ie out of forts range. The next thing is if your courght sneaking into a town via the docks the forts will be able to reach you so no more using the weakness of the forts range to your advantage. Oh and i'm affraid this also means that the distance between you and your enemy must be further than 1000 yards before the option for the world map will show. Its more like 2000 yards now (still to be tested fully).

Work on trying to improve the distance at which a enemy is seen on the world map and can be engaged is been worked on so that you can enter the sail mode and almost exit straight away again but that is currently work in progress.

Because forts have a longer range now you will see forts from a further distance, so you enter sail mode some 8 to 10000 yards from the island you will see the fort (through the spyglass of course). The fort will only start firing on you (if your enemy to it obviosly) if your within 2200 yards of it. However just because you can see the fort doesn't mean you can use the sail to option, this remains as it has done from the vanilla. This will remain like that sorry. xD:

OK it's good to know this for damage,because until now in close distance I always use bombs.

I think these improvements for forts will be great,because will be more realistic and interesting! :onya

Since gunpowder and bombs were around so many centuries before the 17th and 18th centuries when the game takes place, it makes sense to have bombs as usable ammunition in game. Just because they weren't readily used doesn't mean they didn't exist. The whole trade-off with bombs in game was that they did more damage but had shorter range. With the new mod there's absolutely no reason to carry bombs at all since they have less damage and less range. All it does is completely make bombs obsolete and it makes the cannon balls far too unbalanced. Bombs should do more damage than canon balls by default. The only time the bombs won't do more damage is when it's a dud, in which case it does about the same as a canon ball since you only get the initial impact (which is all the cannon ball does) and not the explosion that follows. I say either restore the bombs to the damage ratio they had before the mod to make it more accurate or just remove them from the game completely if they remain obsolete.

The reason they have been changed is for added realism, they wasn't used so rather than remove them we reduced there abilities. They can still course damage to the ships hull, sails and crew just not as much as in the stock game.

Bombs are still important as you will find out in 3.2, if you run out of round shot you can switch to bombs, grapes and knipple shots will have very little impact on the ships hull and is the same in 3.1.5 but you will see that the bombs damage ration has been increased for 3.2 thats because work on Real Time Battle Light aka RTBL has began and will be making its return to COAS. In RTBL the naval battles will last longer, that means shot types will have a low damage ratio for RTBL, the good news is its changed via a switch so you can choose to play with the current faster style of game play or the more realistic battle style of RTBL.

I'm all for realism and I understand the reason for reducing the damage of all ammunition types across the board, but making bombs so much weaker than the round shot is pretty unrealistic as the bombs are explosive round shot. They have the same initial impact of the round shot plus the added blast damage. I really don't mean to be a bother about this and I'm sorry if I'm coming off a bit rough on the subject, but it just seems a bit strange to me that the bombs would be so much weaker than they should actually be.

...And as for running out of round shot: that's not going to happen because I'll just dump all my bombs in exchange for round shot since there's no reason to carry bombs with lower damage and range. I do like the idea of being able to choose the play style though.

You'll be happy to know in the new patch the shot types value's are set back to vanilla value's. Those who want longer battles would need to activate RTBL via the switch which requires a new game so the dission to play with stock of RTBL value's is important because once you've started the game you can't go back on that dissions in less your willing to start a new game that is. In RTBL the bombs will do a little more damage than the round shots but not drastic amounts like it does in the stock value's. Example the bombs will do a little more damage than the round shot (enough to make them worth carrying) and will course more damage to sails and crew than the round shot but not as much as the spacific shot types will. IE bombs will not kill as many crew and the grapeshots and they will not do as much damage to the rigging as the knippleshots.

There are a few more features like realistic spyglass where you can't see anything other than the ships name and the name of the said captain. Then there is realistic ship purchase, where all large ships are no longer available to be purchased but must be captured. Thats still work in progress but its up and running and working as it should, just a few little tweaks to which ships are available to buy is all thats required there. So far all Frigates, Corvette's, Lineships and other large ships are no longer available to purchase.

Cannon reload times has a switch, you can switch from the more realistic times we have to the quicker reload times. All of these are done there own switches and that does mean they all require a new game, so you would have to decide which to choose from.

Back