• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

frame rate slow lagging

bobboberts

Landlubber
I have a 512mb ATI 6750 video card and I'm getting about 14 fps in the towns. I've read other forum posts saying COAS doesn't like ATI very well. Has anyone found a workaround for this problem?

Weird, I have an Sapphire Toxic HD ATI 3870 512MB, and I don't have any problems at all with frame rates, everything seems to run smooth to me. :shrug

What are your 3d settings landlubber?

I have all the settings to 'Use application settings' and Disable catalyst AI.

I've been going thru the russian Akella forum postings to see if I can find any tips. so far the only thing I've read is
HyperThreading = 0
DisableSSE = 1

and disable catalyst AI.

I tried those 3 and I think its a bit better now.
I'm not sure which one of the 3 helped tho.
But will continue to see if I can find more tweaks.

Thanks for the info landlubber, that may help someone else out in the future. Just out of curiosity mate, what kind of CPU do you have?

I think I spoke too soon. The reason I think it looked faster was that there was less townspeople in the town at the moment, less people, less work on cpu. So I guess my solution didn't do anything.
I have a Intel 6750 dual core. I have only about 8 subprocesses running in the background.

-I'm curious, I wonder what DELAY means in the engine.ini file?
-I'm experimenting with the pci latency tool now. It always helped other games, so why not this one?

I tried different settings on the PCI Latency tool. Usually a setting of 200 is optimum. Anyways, it seems... it seems that is without scientific validation just yet that a setting of 136 is actually a bit faster. I tried it in Port Royale when the population was at the highest and walked around moving the mouse and camera. But it seems ok now, atleast good enough.

Thanks for posting your results landlubber! Glad ya got it working at an acceptable level mate! :onya

Well I played around with different settings with PCI latency tool and checked speed performance basically with purchasing items from outdoor merchants because the frame rate seems the lowest purchasing items from outdoor merchants. Anyways by lowering it 40 it did improve speed but left the frames looking choppy. So I bumped it back up to 120 and tried something else.
I went into my ATI catalyst control panel played with wait for vertical sync, but it didn't seem to make any difference in speed at all,in fact having it set to Not wait for vertical sync caused choppy frames, so Wait is better.
I then tried the Mipmap slider. Originally it was set on Quality, so I moved the slider 2 notches closer to performance...and voila! It worked. It made alot of difference, I went to the merchants to verify and its definitely faster.

Back