• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Free Play New Game Trouble

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
OK here are is an amended Robert Fletcher_dialogue.c with a couple of minor text changes. I have also cut out the reference to Lieutenant in the navy questbook entry.
Cheers! :cheers

Given the reference in cursed to putting the coins in the weapons locker being nosey I immediately went to look and found none. I understand from the intro you actually have to hunt down the missing ones - but the're all missing!:treasure: (bar the one in your possession). I think it is set in StartStoryline.c into TutDeck.WeaponsLocker and I wonder if that is a special location different from the character's ship weapons locker?
I tested during the tutorial and the coins were there then.
Perhaps you're right and it is a different weaponslocker; I was pretty sure it was used like that though.
Should be references in PROGRAM\CCCFunctions.c because that contains the actual Weaponslocker code.

The intention is that you don't need to find ALL cursed coins, because most of them are already in your possession.
Depends on the difficulty level....

Next I tried Wil Turner and that seems to lock up after Malcolm's first dialogue. I guess that will be solved if or when all specific characters avoid the tutorial.
What character type is he again? Swordmaster? That should just be normal tutorial behaviour.
Can you replicate that? Any log files?

Just to be clear I am not actually working on adding to custom characters but just raising what came to light when I was drawn into the thread. Actually I'm off for a couple of weeks in a couple of days so won't be working on anything.
No worries! Even just checking the various options is much appreciated. :onya

Indeed you do get stuck as Will Turner. Which is very weird, because:
Code:
Quest name Tut_start1 FOUND in BothQuestComplete
If I manually run the same case through console, it does continue:
Code:
LAi_QuestDelay("Tut_start1", 0);
Looks to be the same issue for Davy Jones. Might be ship-related. Player stuck on large starting ships has been reported before.

Actually, this happened for both my other two tests as well. Plus a lack of "Sea" icon after getting into port, but it did still work.
Possibly because I didn't fully close the game between tests? Either way, odd and not very good.
It also worked fine not so long ago! :whipa

Lack of cursed coins for Davy Jones is also confirmed. But if I manually put the coins back in there through console, they're again there:
Code:
  ref TutDeck = &Locations[FindLocation("Tutorial_Deck")];
   TutDeck.WeaponsLocker.items.cursedcoin = GetCursedCoinCount() - 1 - GetDifficulty()*2;
Probably there is some code that purges the weaponslocker on a Stormy Start.

Starting Julian McAllister as Naval Officer starts me as a Lieutenant WITH a ship.
Starting with a generic English midshipman uniform starts me as a Midshipman also WITH a ship.

I think this might warrant a "Free Play Custom Start Issues" Bug Tracker entry.

I just installed latest version of New Horizons as suggested by Pieter.
I chose the free play for new game and I custom picked the VOC founder, with custom ship, custom flags.

I did not change ship name, nor profile name, nor avatar player name. If I do so, when I start new game it gets bugged; if I go ashore, there isn't an ambush. If I stay on ship without listening to advice @ beginning, I get stuck on ship and can't move out; if I listen to the beginning advice on my cabin, there is no sword so I get stuck in the cabin. I also realized that maybe the issue with the bugs at the start is because I first chose the year 1500-1550 with Holland nation.. perhaps discovery age is for Spain and Portugal only.

However, I kept doing new game till I managed to figure out not to change ship name, avatar name, nor profile name, and it worked fine. But now I'm on an island in St Martin and an ambush comes by where me and one of my mates have to defend. Problem is, we can't lol

My mate can barely drop a hit or two, and my HP is very low so I die quick. For the past 2 hours I been pressing on F6 over & over but the best thing I did so far is knock the ambush till 1 guy left, then I die.

Anyone else got stuck on this preliminary stage when starting Free play? If so, any suggestions & is there a possibility to temporarily adjust the coding in my save file for the max HP of the player? (I opened the file but i'm lost!)

Thanks.

Attachments

• codes.jpg
    codes.jpg
    696 KB · Views: 89
  • game1.jpg
    game1.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 86
Whatever is that codes.jpg file!?!? :shock

Exactly what starting settings did you try and what did you do after game start?
Who is the "VOC Founder"? Do you mean Dutch naval officer Michiel de Ruyter?

All options should work, including an Early Explorers for all characters.

Yesterday I did notice a "getting stuck before being talked to in the cabin" problem that seemed quite frequent.
I'll look into that hopefully tonight.

Oh, you might like to know about ENABLE_CHEATMODE at the bottom of PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h as well.
Check the bottom of the controls file in the Documentation folder to see which Numpad button controls which functionality.

I chose G. de Jongh, Dutch west india director.. not VOC sorry. De Ruyter is an ingenius admiral! I bought his book from an Amsterdam bookstore but still not had the time to read yet.

Check this SS of the exact settings I chose:
SS.jpg

I'd rather not use cheats to be honest, I never do in any game.. ruins the fun of building up on your own from scratch :p

I chose G. de Jongh, Dutch west india director.. not VOC sorry. De Ruyter is an ingenius admiral! I bought his book from an Amsterdam bookstore but still not had the time to read yet.
Ah, that's the one! :onya

Check this SS of the exact settings I chose:
Thanks for that. Should allow me to replicate the problem tonight. :doff

I'd rather not use cheats to be honest, I never do in any game.. ruins the fun of building up on your own from scratch :p
Fair enough. Personally I don't like to either, but I do anyway because it is SO much easier for testing.
Godmode is especially useful. You can switch it on/off so if the early game is too hard, you can switch it on for a while and switch it off later.
Or reduce your Difficulty Level. Adventurer is pretty high up there.

I merged this conversation with some earlier posts on a related subject and moved it to the Bug Tracker.
Then at least I'm sure to not forget checking this.... :wp

With Wil Turner if you take the "I remember everything" approach it carries on just fine. So some problem in filling the cabin chest perhaps?

I tried Barbossa not Davy Jones for my lack of coins (same difference). I have now tried Jones because I wondered if he would land and shock horror he is in his land period (pretty limiting for getting coins back if he wasn't). I was in Antigua where in the store I stood and got killed for pretending to have a LoM. Guess what saved by an angel (that doesn't seem right for Jones) and became Jones Jones. I will stick this in Double names thread too as an easy to find test subject.

Aye well my prob now is sorted.. somehow something happened which killed 4 ambush enemies within 2 seconds (without using cheats).
But now I went inside jungle in a pirate fort, and someone was selling me somethings.. so I dealt with him, then after I threw poison knife, picked back my money & all items & more :D

Then I pressed F5 and game crashed, but I will go through this process again in the next hour to make sure it is just a one time crash and not repetitive.

But anyhow, thanks for the support!

With Wil Turner if you take the "I remember everything" approach it carries on just fine. So some problem in filling the cabin chest perhaps?
For me, Malcolm never even said a word to me. Which sounds like a different problem.

I tried Barbossa not Davy Jones for my lack of coins (same difference). I have now tried Jones because I wondered if he would land and shock horror he is in his land period (pretty limiting for getting coins back if he wasn't). I was in Antigua where in the store I stood and got killed for pretending to have a LoM. Guess what saved by an angel (that doesn't seem right for Jones) and became Jones Jones. I will stick this in Double names thread too as an easy to find test subject.
Indeed my "custom Davy Jones curse" idea hasn't yet been worked on. :no

But now I went inside jungle in a pirate fort, and someone was selling me somethings.. so I dealt with him, then after I threw poison knife, picked back my money & all items & more :D
Really? Did you get into a LOT of trouble for that? As per Beta 3.5, you should.

I don't think so.. at first try I killed him normal, which then the whole army rushed at me. (-500 reputation penalty)
Second try I used poison knife, and I heard alarm but no one came. and I didn't get any reputation penalty.
But after I looted the body, game crashed.
Now back to game. =)

If I stay on ship without listening to advice @ beginning, I get stuck on ship and can't move out;
Anyone else got stuck on this preliminary stage when starting Free play?

Some of the selected load to port locators on the large ships are almost impossible to find. With the engineer for example I just caught a glimpse of a hint of a bit of text (no offload tag at all) and if by trial and error I stood in exactly the right place got a reload door symbol on pressing return (still with no offload tag such "xx port"or whatever) and could go to the port. A couple of the others (can't remember which) are equally obscure

I don't think so.. at first try I killed him normal, which then the whole army rushed at me. (-500 reputation penalty)
Second try I used poison knife, and I heard alarm but no one came. and I didn't get any reputation penalty.
But after I looted the body, game crashed.
Now back to game. =)
Really? What modpack version do you have now according to the Main Menu?
I thought I put some code in place that makes poisining traders also NOT appreciated because otherwise that is a bit of a cheat.

Some of the selected load to port locators on the large ships are almost impossible to find. With the engineer for example I just caught a glimpse of a hint of a bit of text (no offload tag at all) and if by trial and error I stood in exactly the right place got a reload door symbol on pressing return (still with no offload tag such "xx port"or whatever) and could go to the port. A couple of the others (can't remember which) are equally obscure
Flashing text on the locators? That sounds a bit like what I saw with the "Sea" locator in Redmond Port yesterday.
I think I may need to check an earlier modpack version because it sounds like there are some odd hickups now. :modding

Well to go back to the start.. I downloaded POTC original version, then I installed Part 1 & 2 from this website's reference.. (Part 1 is 300MB, Part 2 around 2GB).
Then you told me to install the WIP new test, which is around 330MB, and this is the one I'm currently running, where you can change the start year of the game.

Till now when I start game it says version build 14, Beta 3.5, WIP 13, May 2015

However, with regards to the poison knife, I tried again and no penalty. Also something else may be wrong but I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that way. In older mod version & this current one I'm playing, I can open chests anywhere and take whatever item lol

I remember when I played COAS and GOF, if you open chest anywhere, they attack you and the guards attack as well.

On the contrary, in New Horizons, if you are being attacked by guards .. running to port, or other side of town (through opening door) will just go back to normal without the guards chasing you. That's not the case in COAS/GOF though, the guards keep chasing you throughout town whereever you go (tavern, outside gates, etc.), and even when you leave port, the fort keeps shooting at you for whatever crime you committed inside that town.

Well to go back to the start.. I downloaded POTC original version, then I installed Part 1 & 2 from this website's reference.. (Part 1 is 300MB, Part 2 around 2GB).
Then you told me to install the WIP new test, which is around 330MB, and this is the one I'm currently running, where you can change the start year of the game.
I suspect you may be missing the ZIP attached to this post (27 May 2015):
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-5-internal-wip-for-testing.24817/
That might explain it, since I'm not sure if the poisoned check was already in the EXE or not.
Hopefully I can do some updating over the weekend....

I remember when I played COAS and GOF, if you open chest anywhere, they attack you and the guards attack as well.
In PotC that only happens if you open a chest in someone's house.
The original PotC was very simplistic and CoAS/GoF are quite different in some respects. Then PotC was very heavily modded by ourselves.
CoAS not so much. GoF is still very similar to the original CoAS, which is certainly not the case for the original PotC and NH. :wp

On the contrary, in New Horizons, if you are being attacked by guards .. running to port, or other side of town (through opening door) will just go back to normal without the guards chasing you. That's not the case in COAS/GOF though, the guards keep chasing you throughout town whereever you go (tavern, outside gates, etc.), and even when you leave port, the fort keeps shooting at you for whatever crime you committed inside that town.
It used to be like that in the original PotC as well, but our heavy modding appears to have broken that.
We've got a Bug Tracker entry related to it: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/...or-lack-thereof-aka-ai-group-relations.20672/

Ah I see I must have missed that, but I copy & pasted now, let's hope my new game did not erase itself!
But yeah between COAS and GOF the main differences rely on additional ships and different town textures, but the same platform of AOP itself. POTC original version I uninstalled it after 5 minutes of playing, it was a bad gaming experience.. the mouse cursor alone wasn't set up properly. The New Horizons surprised me very much, since I was praying it won't be the same as the original version.

Anyway good luck with modding, and I will fill you in with details of any bugs I encounter since I am playing a lot these days. Enjoy!

I think I fixed the "getting stuck right at the beginning" issue that I noticed yesterday.
Turns out I had removed some lines of code that were apparently needed.
Which is still quite bizarre, because I did actually test that it worked before! :shock

The missing cursed coins are still being quite mysterious.
Edit: Oops, the GetCursedCoinCount function worked the other way and the game was putting -7 coins in the weaponslocker instead.
Fixed.

Last edited:
Reactions: A.H
Well what I remember was (when talking to adviser about the startup of new game) .. i check my cabin chests for the swords but there wasn't except a written letter with the name "error" on it, and on another chest there was 56 gunshots, 50+ gunpowder.

On another new game I did I chose another option than listen to his advice.. I already had a sword, but in my chest there was 36 cutlasses.. and in this option I went on ship deck but couldn't move out.

Ps. I tried now pressing 4th option (I see a ***** fleet approaching, better land ashore.....)
when speaking to the adviser in the beginning and I get landed on shore straight away, but I can't save game by F5.
Please see image for the error msg on top left corner. This msg also appears when I press F5 in the second option in the dialog (I remember everything just fine)

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Back