• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

French Ship Océan (1790)

Edwin

Landlubber
Hi,
First time posting here, just wanted to say that you guys rock :onya I've been looking for a game like this forever.
I was wondering if anyone was working on / or planning to work on the french ship l'Océan, a gigantic 118-gun ship launched in 1790. I believe the heavy first rate in Empire: Total War is based on this class of ships. I think it'd make an awesome and unique addition to the ship of the line collection.

picture1
picture2
picture3
picture4

Anyways, keep up the good work!

Well I dont plan on making any three deckers myself, or even a ship of the line for a long time yet, but there might be some other modellers willing to make this ship. She is certainly a very fine first rate! :onya However, one thing that any modeller needs to build a ship is the plans, so you would be alot more likely to find someone willing to build this ship if you could find her plans or the plans of one of her numerous sister ships ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oc%C3%A9an_class_ship_of_the_line seems to have been the standard french design for first rates at that time

Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a detailed plan of this ship. I did manage to find some low resolution design pictures of her sister ship, Le Commerce de Marseille (1788), though, if anyone is interested.
GE.jpg

GC.jpg

AR.jpg

couples.jpg

pont1.jpg

dsc07649_r.jpg

1204698799.jpg

1201505645.jpg

1197528530.jpg

118f-111.jpg

Pictures of Construction

Oh, well. There's always HMS Victory (The best representation I've seen in a game! You guys rock! xD: )

decided to search for the Commerce de Marseille on the NMM site :wp http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/79834.html
there are also some deck plans and some fine illustrations and models :doff
http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections.html#!csearch;searchTerm=Commerce_de_Marseille_

As far as I can tell, no... but the Royal Louis of 1780 mightve been an earlier version of the design, or at least pretty similar. this sailplan would certanly be useful for an Ocean class ship ;)
http://militarygraph.com/enlarge.php?i=117

I think I would go with a gaff and boom on the spanker... You should keep in mind that that is only a spar plan; the yards are lowered as low as they can go on their respective masts, and would be raised to near the top of the masts (not the very top- ex: tops'l yard is raised to near the top of the topmast) It still is useful for proportions and everything.

oh yeah didnt notice it had a lateen yard, definately should be a spanker. And I realize its only a spar plan, but it would be very valuable to determine the sizes of the yards and masts, and much of the rigging too. I used the sparplan of the USS Philadelphia to rig the Revolutionnare in this way

@Captain Armstrong:
Wow, I can't believe you obtained the plan so easily! That is certainly a useful site.

@Noriruru:
I think you must be thinking of Le Royal Louis (1780) like Captain Armstrong suggested. It is a slightly smaller ship, with a gun deck length of 62 m and displacement of 4835 t, whereas l'Océan class of ships had gun deck length of 65.2 m and displacement of ~5100 t. They were truly large ships, 1.5 times the size of HMS Victory.

@Noriruru:
I think you must be thinking of Le Royal Louis (1780) like Captain Armstrong suggested. It is a slightly smaller ship, with a gun deck length of 62 m and displacement of 4835 t, whereas l'Océan class of ships had gun deck length of 65.2 m and displacement of ~5100 t. They were truly large ships, 1.5 times the size of HMS Victory.

Now that you guys mention it I think that IS the ship I'm thinking about (though I thought she had 122 guns). I'd love to see both these ships the l'Océan and the Royal Louis get made for this game (I have blueprints for the Royal louis in my FTP if that helps) it would also be great if ZerithPL would finish his Santissima Trinidad for this game as well.

But then again I always did love my 3-deckers and I believe one can never have too many guns on a warship (unless of course you capsize under their weight like the sweedish Wasa did :blah: ) but then you just make a bigger hull. :cheeky

While i'm not personally a big fan of ships of the line (I think frigates are much more fun to sail :keith ) this is a very pretty one, as is the Santissima Trinidad! The last pic ZarethPL posted looked stunning, even though it was awhile ago. I hope he finishes her off, but I can’t really blame him for taking a long time to build it, especially if his life has gotten busy. There is sooo much work involved with building ships of the line, and especially 3 deckers. <_< They are generally much more ornamented (more time building, and also takes an experienced modeler) and the extra guns and size simply means more pieces (more time again, and also high tri counts, which slows down the game).

Absolutely! There is certainly NO disputing the fun qualities of a good frigate there my friend. :no

I use them lots as well, and there seems to be some real juicy ones on the way too. :yes

While I have no experience with making ships or any other game meshes for that matter I can certainly imagine the obscene amount of work that must go into the large ships for this and other games.

Armada is doing a dang fine job converting the Trinity which he says will be game ready fairly soon.

Just out of curiosity (as I've been miss-rating a lot of ships lately) do 4th rates like the Mordaunt and FWzP count as heavy frigates or lineships?

I can't remember exactly what they look like, but anything with one gun deck (if the main deck, or the exposed deck, has guns , it doesn't count as a full gun deck- see Constitution, for example) is a frigate. Any man of war with more than one is a ship of the line.

the definition of a frigate changed over the years, which adds confusion :urgh in the early 1700s ship-sloops and corvettes(such as the neptunus or greyhound) were often called frigates, but during the latter half of the 1700s through the end of the age of sail, frigates were classified as having a single main deck better, and guns on the quarterdeck and forcastle. the suprise, raa, and constitution are some examples in POTC/COAS. two decked 4th rates are an awkward class, they were much too small to be considered line of battle ships by the second half of the 1700s, but carried more and heavier guns then frigates with a 12pdr main battery, the largest caliber commonly carried in frigates until late in the American Revolutionary war, when Britain and France started building 38 and 40 gun frigates with 18 pdrs in the main battery. The old 4th rate two deckers were replaced by these large 18 pdr frigates, which were faster, more manuverable, and with carronades on the quarterdeck and forcatle, could pack just as much firepower as the old 44s. there were very few two decked 44s still in service by 1800, and most that still were had auxilliary roles like troop ships, store ships, prison ships, floating batteries etc. 50 gun ships like the HMS Leopard and mordaunt stayed around a little bit longer, but were still too small to be ships of the line. their main purpose by the napoleonic wars was to serve as flagships on distant stations (the extra level of cabins allowed for more room for an admiral and flag officers than a frigate)

You're right... I should have been a little more specific there.The first "frigats" were just a type of vessel that was relatively fast and low in the water.

Back