• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

French translation

vahadar

HoO Team Member
QC Advisor
Hello,

My offer might be very early since i guess all efforts are focussed on making the engine work, and the first test build in english, but i can help with localization in french by translating all quests files.

I have checked the roles and none are related to localization in foreign languages.

Let me know if you are interested and when i can start helping with this.

Cheers !

edit : also i can contribute to french text that will be displayed in the english version like names of ship, towns, objects and everything that should be in french for that time period. I have noticed some french spelling mistakes or non sense in GOF that's why i'm proposing this :)

I spend my professionnal life as a journalist and the head of a (french) small communication agency. My studies have included many years in history so i can also be of some help in that field.

English is not my primary language but i can understand it fully and write it without too much mistakes. So understanding history ressources in english will not be a problem.

I have started rereading Daniel Defoe (captain Johnson) 1726 book on pirates for the 3rd time to get my memory back on tracks ;)

Last edited:
Your offer is indeed a bit too early, but I see no reason for not translating the game to French, German, and Spanish, to name a few, once we have dialog, names, etc. to translate.

While translations indeed are a long ways off, having people from various national backgrounds ensure authenticity would be very welcome indeed!
So if you can check on our French stuff, that'd be great. :cheers

I think QC Advisor would be a suitable role then, with 'French Language Expert' added to his signature.

Glad to be onboard gentlemen!

I will start crawling the WIP forum to see were i can give a hand. I have some old maps of the era with some ports village and town location, i could start by making a list of those names of french sphere of influence during that era. Since some islands owners were switching quite often and some colonists made early attempts here and there, some names keep their french roots.

Anyway i will make some research for that time. Feel free to bug me when you need something :)

edit : on a side note i live in Paris and the Musée de la Marine have an extensive collection of blueprints of ships from that time which they often sells to ship modelers. Maybe our 3D modelers would be interested in those?

edit : on a side note i live in Paris and the Musée de la Marine have an extensive collection of blueprints of ships from that time which they often sells to ship modelers. Maybe our 3D modelers would be interested in those?
Certainly! To my knowledge they aren't displayed in low resolution online like at the British National Maritime Museum, so if you could find out what they have available that would be fantastic!

I will contact them see if they have a catalog other than the pdf i know, if not i can spend a day there to check their archives.

Here you have the full list of ships available in blueprints in all french navy museums, if some catch your interest in particular i could see how to get the blueprints :
http://www.servicehistorique.sga.de...HD_PUB_00000227_dc_att-FRSHD_PUB_00000227.pdf

It is in french but you will obviously recognize the ship type. (canon/bouche à feu both mean gun, so you can check type with the amount of guns for exemple vaisseau de 74 canons)

edit 2 : My father who is a former navy officer happen to own the original "L'Encyclopédie méthodique marine" made by Diderot and d'Alembert, 2 volumes which summarize all navy knowledge till the second half of the 18e century.

You have some exemple of printings in this link ( http://librairie-marine.com/encyclopedie/encyclopedie.html ) , but when i will visit them i will scan all interesting drawings i can get.

edit 3 : one interesting thing about navy construction in France is that they had a special school making mockup scaled wooden version of the ships to display for our kings. Most of those are still displayed or stored in Musée de la Marine. I know there is a book about those i will try to get my hands on it.

Last edited:
Back