• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Frigates

Sev

Landlubber
Hi there - just got an idea for a `Semi-mod` , i dont know if anyone will agree, but i personally think that the frigates just look.... wrong. (im fascinated by naval warfare from 1600 - 1820, and have researched alot about the period) My main problem with these frigates is the raised quarterdeck, the thing is, most frigates that existed had a slight raise towards the rear where the helm would be, but nothing as much as those in the game, if you look at the pictures of of a regular looking frig (say the USS Constitution as an example) the helm area is actualy on the same level as the rest of the ship, and the grand cabin joins onto the rear of the ship on the same level as the gundeck. I think the reason Akella decided to make them look this way was to accomodate for the rear guns.... thing is, it was rare that ships of this era had rear guns, let alone four of them! in the rare incidence that a ship had rear guns, they were usualy posioned to the rear of the quarterdeck, not below the grand cabin (this also seemed unrealistic to me, because if they were at the level, water could easily get in through an open gun port, and bye bye frigate! So i was wondering if anyone would be willing, with the origional frigate model from akella, to do a mod which involved bringing the grand cabin down so that it left the rear of the ship flatter, without the stairs and instead have the grand cabin just join onto the rear of the ship as the constitution does,, and also to remove the rear guns, as these are unrealistic! - i know this proably seems a little vague, but if anyone doesnt understand just ask me! - i would do this myself, however have no skill in modeling whatsoever! but even so i dont think something like this would be a major task.
Tell me what you think guys!

-Sev

Hello Sev, :cheers

You are quite right in your comments, however, I would like to point out that this Game not being a simulator and being an RPG, accuracy of Historical periods was not really an issue in it's making, in that it mixes several designs of certain periods.

Both the Corvette and the Frigate in POTC are in reality Frigate Designs, but could not be compared to say (the USS Constitution), because thse designs are from the 17th century, and the Constitution is a 19th Century Design.

Most 16th and 17th century ships did not have Helms such as the Constitution.

That all being said for the sake of information here, and not to discourage your Idea, we are modeling several ships at present, some of them are in the Texturing stage as we speak :p2

Who knows, maybe a USS Constitution is one of them? :p:

If I recall correctly, the sweep of the deck aft was the standard, until the American Frigates of the late `18th-early` 19th century. America's ships were thought freakish and sluggish with "strange flush decks overweighted with cannon". Have to remember that this game takes place a full century before such designs became implemented, then. Though it doesn't really explain the anachronism of Caravels...

I should add that when my little Brig is complete, I was thinking of a Frigate because I also want more from the `in-game` ones. Although they have much more firepower than I would give mine and are much larger, as well. Being a small ship sort I'll likely be working with something around the size of HMS Surprise/l'Unite. A lot of good documentation on that ship. HMS Volage would be another choice. Something along those lines.

So far I haven't done any modeling (yet!!!) - just texturing and some code for writing in the Fred Bob Bo'sun side quest. But there are plenty working on ships - And I will join in all the other voices that are saying that they are really looking forward to seeing what emerges from all of this! xD: :?

just out of interest - will you guys think about doing an Acheron (French ship from master and commander ) texture for the USS Constitution model - they are both the same type of ship and there are alot of pic's readily avilable on the net! the Acheron just looks that bit meaner with its red stripes!

If thats possible it would be really interesting to see both of those ships charateristics implimented into potc. xD::

We 'avn;t 'eard a peep outa Skelly Bobs intercepter,Clutches Tyrant 111 or de Frigate Crescent,pictures of em a long time ago,so me hopes der in dis new build 11.0 xD:

The new build is coming soon, GRA - and I think all the "big" PotC modding communities around here are involved in the PMT - the PotC Modding Team - that is working both on getting the build released, and the expansion package that will come later.

Cant wait! Im getting tired of sailing unrealistic ship models. Do you know if Interceptor and other ship models specificly the frigate's will be included within this mod??

Well I believe there are going to be quite a few new ships in the expansion package - but specifically, I can't say. Don't really know... Sorry... :yes

Interceptor was never finished to the best of my knowledge. Skelly Bob became much too busy to complete it

Well...I really I mean REALLY want to and he mentioned me helping him finish it a while ago and was going to PM me here about it but...it never happened. :cheers I mean, he really did a wonderful job on her and she's sorta my hometown brig and all but I can't really build her myself as he's started her and....damnit Skelly! Gimmee da brig!

Please :yes:

:p3

Back