• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Gaining Abilities

vorius

Sailor Apprentice
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
How does the ability system in COAS work?

In the manual, page 13, it says: "When you achieve a certain Skill level, you are also awarded Ability points (personal and ship related) and these allow you to add special Abilities to your character"

but then on page 17: "Reaching a Rank and Skills threshold gives you a new rank; your hero's life is increased, and you are granted Ability points to distribute as you deem fit"

It kinda has me confused - do I get ability points when I raise in rank or when a skill reaches a certain level?

How often can I expect to have Ability pts to use? Every 4 ranks? More?

You get new abilities based on skill increases, how many it takes depends on your intelligence. The "next lvl" box on your character screen shows you your progress for whatever you click on, so just click on the ability tabs and it'll show you how many skill increases you need to gain another one.

You get new abilities based on skill increases, how many it takes depends on your intelligence. The "next lvl" box on your character screen shows you your progress for whatever you click on, so just click on the ability tabs and it'll show you how many skill increases you need to gain another one.

Unlike most of the RPG systems the abilities and the levels are not tied in this game. You may advance in the levels but not in the abilities and vice versa. You advance quicker in the levels but this increases only you health and nothing more (actually the items you can buy and the officers are somewhat tied to your level within a range). Both (abilities and levels advances) are calculated on advance of your skills (which are capped at 100 and increase when you use them). You advance in lvl is from both personal and ship skills combined but your cabilities (perks) are divided on personal and ship and advance with the advance of the corresponding bunch of skills. Because of the skills cap your level is capped too - the max you can reach is 56 (actually slightly less) and you can gain not more then 23 personal perks and 23 ship perks (slightly less again).

Back