• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Game crash when in ship menus

Jackrel Carver

Landlubber
The game runs absolutely fine on my computer irrigardless to weather i'm on land or at sea. Imagine my shocked anger when upon finishing the slave portion of the peter blood questline my game decides to crash when I try to check my ships stats... I've tried it on other characters quests and I get the same thing; every time I enter a menu screen that involves my ship in any way (ships tab in the F2 menus, menus for buying/selling cargo, etc.), my video driver fails and the game crashes every time. Is there some whacky visual effect that plays in those screens? I mean why would my game crash every time I enter those screens but never when i'm doing anything else? I'm running this on a laptop with a standard intel R graphics chipset but otherwise my specs meet the requirements.

Ahoy Jackrel Carver, welcome aboard mate! The Storm engine seems to have many problems with Intel mobile graphics chipsets. The only solution that I know of tp try is Swiftshader, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You can download it from the POTC New Horizons section of the MODB HERE! You can also download it find out more technical info HERE!

Another thing you might try is a program called 3D Analyzer, you can find more info about that HERE!

SwiftShader tries to emulate full graphic processes such as pixel shader support, floating, rendering, stenciling and more. It can therefore be used to try and run some games with which 3D Analyzer does not solve the problem.

1. Download SwiftShader, you can get it from the 'Downloads' section.

2. Extract the contents into a temporary folder.

3. Copy d3d8.dll, d3d9.dll and swiftshader.ini from the temporary folder into the folder where the game's executables are located
(usually in the installation directory, but if your installation directory is empty, check the subfolders inside; they usually are in the
subfolder 'bin')

4. Open up swiftshader.ini with notepad or wordpad, and edit the options as needed. Here is a rundown of what options are there:

[Capabilities]
PixelShaderVersion=21 >> - defines maximum pixel shader version, e.g. 21 = 2.1, 20 = 2.0, 10 = 1.0
VertexShaderVersion=21 >> - defines maximum vertex shader version, e.g. 21 = 2.1, 20 = 2.0, 10 = 1.0
TextureMemory=512 >> - defines texture memory, if games run too slow, try changing to 1024 (only if you have 1GB of RAM)

[Caches]
VertexRoutineCacheSize=1024 >> - don't touch these
PixelRoutineCacheSize=1024 >> - don't touch these
SetupRoutineCacheSize=1024 >> - don't touch these
VertexCacheSize=64 >> - if games run too slow, change it to 128, any higher will make the game even slower

[Quality]
TextureSampleQuality=1 >> - don't touch it, lowering sample quality will not improve performance
MipmapQuality=0 >> - it defaults at 0, so don't touch it
PerspectiveQuality=2 >> - don't touch
TranscendentalPrecision=2 >> - don't touch

[Processor]
ThreadCount=0 >> - change to 2 if you have dual core, 4 for quad core, or leave it at 0 for single core CPUs
EnableSSE2=1 >> - 0 = disabled, 1 = enabled, leave it enabled
EnableSSE3=1 >> - 0 = disabled, 1 = enabled, leave it enabled
EnableSSSE3=1 >> - 0 = disabled, 1 = enabled, leave it enabled

5. Run the game! If it's an old game, it should run smooth. Newer games usually run at choppy rates, usually unplayable. Have
fun!

Original tutorial HERE!

Thanks Thagarr. I think I managed to get it to work after I calmed down and downloaded a new driver from the intel site. It's been smooth sailing since then, but I'll be sure to check out the programs you suggested if I run into any issues in the future.

Glad you got it working mate! :onya

Back