• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help General Question

Jonathan Rivas

Powder Monkey
Hi I just have a question concerning the builds with the build 14, say u had ver 3.4 With Davy Jones becket Nelson story’s/ Playthroughs in version 4 do u entirley loose the extra stories or do u need to install ver 3.4 first launch it then launch after installing ver 4 or is it just gone in ver4v?

Thanks in advance!

You download all the necessary files from here:
Mod Release - Build 14 Beta [Last Update:2nd September 2020]

You do not need version 3.4 before installing version 4.1. You do need the original PoTC game, though - install that first, then install the Build Mod over it.

Davy Jones, Cutler Beckett and Captain Nelson are still available in version 4.1. They were never anything more than customised starts. All of them, plus plenty more, are now characters whom you can choose in FreePlay.

Do you mean these for instance?
upload_2020-10-7_10-53-49.png upload_2020-10-7_10-57-24.png

They are still there, but because they weren't really storylines, but more like different openings they were transferred under Free Play.
If you choose them as your playing character you will get their opening.

Edit: Sorry, as I was writing this @Grey Roger replied and it only showed after I posted. :unsure

Davy Jones becket Nelson story’s
Technically them showing up in the Select Storyline interface was a bit of "false advertising".
We just did that so they'd be there at all. But they had no special content. Didn't even have the regular side-quests at the time.

Now that they're under Free Play, it is much clearer what you are (and aren't) getting.
Plus they've got ALL side content now available.

So it's effectively the same.
Only better. ;)

The Hornblower storyline is really linear anyway though.
Plus from what I have played for now you don't have your own ship, you are just navigating them.
With the exception of a sloop.

But this is also part of playing as a naval officer, is it not?

It
The Hornblower storyline is really linear anyway though.
Plus from what I have played for now you don't have your own ship, you are just navigating them.
With the exception of a sloop.

It is not disagreeing, it’s just weird since I have beat horn blowers story line achieved The highest admiral rank there is and I can’t swap out although I have the victory since the port royal givernor gave it to me I just thought but it’s makes sense if naval officers can’t but privateers cam

When I was as hornblower, I couldnt buy ships/swap them anyway at all. Is that just broken?
Have a look here: New Horizons Playing Styles | PiratesAhoy!

It very much is. :yes

It is not disagreeing, it’s just weird since I have beat horn blowers story line achieved The highest admiral rank there is and I can’t swap out although I have the victory since the port royal givernor gave it to me I just thought but it’s makes sense if naval officers can’t but privateers cam
Indeed Privateers still can.

That's odd. Flag officers (Commodore and higher) should be able to swap ships, so you can choose your flagship. Can you upload a savegame with you as Admiral (or any rank of at least Commodore) so I can check this?

If you are Hornblower then you should not have got the Victory. Hornblower should get the Prince at rank Vice Admiral, and the frigate Clorinda as a companion at rank Admiral.

That's odd. Flag officers (Commodore and higher) should be able to swap ships, so you can choose your flagship. Can you upload a savegame with you as Admiral (or any rank of at least Commodore) so I can check this?

If you are Hornblower then you should not have got the Victory. Hornblower should get the Prince at rank Vice Admiral, and the frigate Clorinda as a companion at rank Admiral.
As far as I gather, @Jonathan Rivas is still running an older version of the mod; either the 2018 or 2016 version, I expect.

2018 Version I am running, because even in fresh install the latest update I keep getting the issue I posted about earlier. Also merchants cannot fight other nats and only pirates??

Also merchants cannot fight other nats and only pirates??
Well... you can... But eventually you'll be considered a Pirate yourself if you do.

Historically speaking:
"A letter of marque was a government license in the Age of Sail that authorized a private person, known as a privateer or corsair, to attack and capture vessels of a nation at war with the issuer."
Source: Letter of marque - Wikipedia

Logically, that means that if you DON'T have such a letter, then you are NOT authorized to "attack and capture vessels of a nation at war".
You can still defend yourself. Potential trouble only starts if you sink or capture an enemy ship.
If you dismast them and escape: no problem. If you board them, but let them go: no problem.

You can do Ship Hunting quests for a governor though, during which you ARE authorized to sink or capture that specific ship.

Appreciate the help!! I missed this community and I love how you all are still closely tied. I just am still having the abnormal termination error with the latest update, I am attempting a fifth time any hints to help?

Well... you can... But eventually you'll be considered a Pirate yourself if you do.

Historically speaking:
"A letter of marque was a government license in the Age of Sail that authorized a private person, known as a privateer or corsair, to attack and capture vessels of a nation at war with the issuer."
Source: Letter of marque - Wikipedia

Logically, that means that if you DON'T have such a letter, then you are NOT authorized to "attack and capture vessels of a nation at war".
You can still defend yourself. Potential trouble only starts if you sink or capture an enemy ship.
If you dismast them and escape: no problem. If you board them, but let them go: no problem.
One of these days, I'm going to have to try to fix that. You should be allowed to sink an enemy ship; it's the act of capturing it, or taking its cargo, which makes you a pirate if you're not authorised. In fact, although I can't find the reference now, I remember reading that at one time all ships were required to attack and sink enemy ships; the law was later changed so that merchants were not required to put themselves in danger. But it was still not illegal for a merchant ship to sink an enemy ship, even in WW2 by which time privateering had been abolished.

The trick would be to check during the cargo transfer or officer assignment interfaces. Simply checking at the ransack interface is no use; if the enemy ship closes in and initiates boarding, and you win, you go to the ransack screen. Without a letter of marque, you should then quit without doing any transferring, and let the ship sink.

One of these days, I'm going to have to try to fix that. You should be allowed to sink an enemy ship; it's the act of capturing it, or taking its cargo, which makes you a pirate if you're not authorised. In fact, although I can't find the reference now, I remember reading that at one time all ships were required to attack and sink enemy ships; the law was later changed so that merchants were not required to put themselves in danger. But it was still not illegal for a merchant ship to sink an enemy ship, even in WW2 by which time privateering had been abolished.
As I remember it, the whole "negative consequences" part is in nations.c .
Probably it gets triggered by the death of the captain character.

If you read you right, an attribute should be added in the transfer interfaces to keep track of whether you're pirating there or not...

Ahoy Capitans.

How i can change the size of the window game, for make other things in PC, and watch my ship sailing at the same time?

The new update patch, How I must do it to update the mod installation?

Last edited:
Back