• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Gentlemen Of Fortune 2.0

sorry for my confusion, but which GoF is the latest version or the most enjoyable, this one or the 2.5 on the Maelstrom Engine?
Hey, i'm new here and I created this account to first say thanks to the community for the amazing work and second, because I have the SAME confusion as you. I'm seeing a lot of versions, the itch.io page says you need the maelstorm engine for those mods, I have a copy of coas and I don't really know what mod to use, or if those mods will work WITHOUT the new engine. I think i want to play the 2.5 for example, but people keeps talking about the 1.2 version, then the ERASII, I'm lost!! haha. Hope someone can point us in the right direction!!

I don't even know which version I am playing lol. The title screen says GOF 1.0 but in my game folder I have something called JA-GOF-Mod_v1.2.txt

I installed it a long time ago but never played it as it was too scary or I was too young to appreciate it. I've come to find its quite an excellent game and mod. Many thanks for that.

I'm curious if the Maelstrom engine would make general gameplay better and less awkward/cumbersome. I would kill for anything that fixes the horrid mouse acceleration in the game. I keep dying because I can't turn my character around fast enough lol.

Also, is it worth upgrading to GOF 2.0? The version I have plays fine except ships in my squadron just sail away when ordered to attack a vessel. Only way to do it is to issue Board commands. I also think cannon fall-out is a bit excessive.

I'm curious if the Maelstrom engine would make general gameplay better and less awkward/cumbersome. I would kill for anything that fixes the horrid mouse acceleration in the game. I keep dying because I can't turn my character around fast enough lol.
I think the slo-mo is related to Windows 10 not having a framerate limiter.
Chances are indeed the Maelstrom version will help with that. :yes :onya

I think the slo-mo is related to Windows 10 not having a framerate limiter.
Chances are indeed the Maelstrom version will help with that. :yes :onya

Hey Pioter,

That sounds like it may be worth the switch just for that. I downloaded ERAS 2 a few days ago but have been lamenting the idea of starting a new game, especially with the consideration that my beloved companion Constance Magliore is apparently missing from that version. I've been purposefully holding off until I can figure out how to port her over lol. I'm going to look into that today.

Yes, I need a cute big-boobed sea-wench companion to feel happy in this game. Don't judge me. :)

Last edited:
Understandable.

It should be quite possible to add new characters to ERAS2.
We did it aplenty in PotC:NH.
It seems every time I go to look into the porting, another issue rears its ugly head. Now I have a new issue where some world map encounters crash the game. Perhaps something to do with those glitchy/twitchy ships.

Gah! I've almost had it trying to make this version play better lol.

Say, you wouldn't happen to recall where the main files for unique characters are by chance?

I've been rummaging through all the files in Program/character and even outside of that I cannot find a single mention of these unique characters. All I found were the resource files for them.

Well gee-whiz... I have never been so confused. I went through ERAS mod and wiped every trace of a character including everything from HeroDescribe.txt and the character is STILL there complete with the biography I just wiped from the game.. Also complete with the portrait I replaced and checked.. Literally the name of the donor character I'm using to overwrite was erased from every file yet she is perfectly intact in-game wtf is that lol? And yes I'm making a new game every time.

Oh master Pieter please teach me the way! The way of the magical porting wizards of old!

Last edited:
Oh good lord! It's official .. I'm an idiot.

I was so zeroed in on the Herodescribe that I forgot to check the Resource folder again for the English version of the script lol.

While I didn't technically port sweet Constance into ERAS two, I did manage to overwrite an existing character with her. Everything appears to work except I don't know where her PIRATE stats are generated from. I guess I could always use the debugger for that but it would be nice to build her properly. I also wouldn't mind designating a specific spawn location.

I think I may have found the special/pirate templates:

case "Adventurer":
ch.perks.list.BasicDefense = "1";
SetSPECIAL(ch, 5,7,6,4,6,6,8);

Last edited:
will this work with Steam? i just found it a month ago, i had the original CD game version and had the GoF mod version 1 on it, played it for years. got a new computer a few months ago, would like to get GoF Eras to play so will this work? also im not tech savy, so i would need someone to walk me through on how to add the files.

Hello! I am playing on the 2.0 version (can't get the patches to work) and am experiencing problem where the merchants, both street vendors and stores, are not selling any items. I can sell to them but they never have any inventory of their own. The goods menu are working fine though.

P.S

Scratch that I missed just missed a button...

Last edited:
Wow hard to believe all these years later this mod is still been played. We must have done something right. Since this game i moved onto making maps for Farming Simulator lol, but i have never forgotten where my journey into modding started.

Was probably one of my most played version... Unless it have some bug that make it crashed sometimes... :)
Did some modding back in the days... Remember with great nostalgy.

Back