• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Getting Frustrated!

smallsword8

Landlubber
Ok guys, look...

I'm getting frustrated with what's happening to my game. After installing New horizons and everything, it plays fine. Everything was fine until now.
Since last month, I've been getting alot of problems. I've posted them here but for out of the 3, I've only had a solution to resolve one.
Link: Sinking bug
Link: Antigua Fort
Link: Resolved Bug

Now, I've a major bug. When ever I load a savegame or transition from port to ship, ship to port, deck to sea, etc. My game will SOMETIMES crash. Then, when I load a savegame, it will SOMETIMES! crash. This is because of stuff like DX8Render.dll and Model.dll crashes. This didn't affect me much. Then, the bug where u board a ship, kill enemies and plunder their bodies and then the game crashed, appeared. This bug, however, somehow solved itself.

Two nights ago, the bug escalated. When I load a savegame, 6/7 times the game crashed. This time, its not because of .dll files. It's cos of ENGINE.EXE with a fault module name "StackHash_3f4b" This deterred me a little from playing a game but I still played nonetheless. This time, it gets worse. This morning, I played and loaded a savegame. Everything went fine. I played for a while, saved another few times. Then, it starts. I screwed up a little in one part, so I loaded a recent save. Then, CRASH! So, fine I want to re-load the game and the save. THIS TIME, When I start the game, IT CRASHES EVEN BEFORE THE MAIN MENU! ENGINE.EXE with StackHash_3f4b AGAIN! I've tryed 8 times to start the game. 8/8 times the game crashes. MY GAME HAS GONE WONKY!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE GAME!? It's really bugging me. Also, please, I repeat PLEASE!, visit the first two links to see if you can solve the bugs there. The third link is a bug that was resolved.

I'm appealing to everyone out there to try and resolve this. I've put 3 months into playing each storyline to what it is now. I've also changed files that do not affect scripted events. These files changed various stuff like dialogs, ship stats, cannon stats, Shop stuff, made bombs purchasable and other stuff like this. From what I've seen and from experience, what I did to this files do not affect the game to the point that it becomes as described above!

I really need the help. If anyone has a solution, post here A.S.A.P.! I'm pleading with all you forum people.

Faithfully,

Senior Midshipman Antonio 'Toni' Ryan

You have a lot of different bugs, and I have seen most of them before. A year ago I was getting them constantly, like a dozen times a day. For me the cure was:
1. The modders slowly debugged the program so that it has been running fairly well since patch 4.
2. I discovered that my PSU (power supply) was too weak for my upgraded computer and was starving it for power, causing crashes.

All I can suggest is to re download everything (bad dl's happen), re install, and see if you have the same problems. If you have room on your hd's you can keep your current install. If you do, then you might want to take a critical look at your hardware. It could be something a simple as a hd needing a defrag, or cooling vents clogged with lint causing it to overheat.

OK, OK, calm down Toni. You've got yourself into quite a mess here. :wacko:
Unfortunately, these things can happen when you tamper with some files. Did you make sure to always merge your custom files with any new ones from patches?
I'm just saying that because if you didn't, that would likely cause some issues.
Sometimes, even your own custom code might conflict with new code, too, so you may have to consider dropping some of your own changes to see if that helps.
It may not seem like changing some values would have any adverse effects, but you never know these days.

If all else fails, I'm afraid miklkit's suggestion might be best; make a clean install of everything, start a new game, and see how it goes.
Be sure to keep your old install, or at least your 'SAVE' folder. That way, you can test some of your old saves in the new install, once you can confirm it works well, to see if things have improved.

On a side note, I'm sorry for not noticing some of your queries sooner. There's a lot to go through every day, and I sometimes tend to miss new topics. :facepalm

Sorry guys. I've been inactive for a while. Military stuff is getting to me =). Yeah, thats right. Im joining the U.S. Army =). I leave for Fort Benning, Georgia in 2 weeks. I won't be back until, don't know when. I'll be bringing my laptop with me but I doubt I will get to use it often. I'll still keep you guys posted on my life in Fort Benning. Thanks for the help so far guys. Really appreciate it.

You are joining the Army? Vietnam veteran here. The closest I've come to Georgia was a summer spent at Ft. Lee in Virginia. It was hot and so humid it was like living in a fish bowl, but the forests around there were fun to hike around in. I wish you well and will continue to lobby to get all of our soldiers out of the Mideast. :dance

Back