• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Getting rid of Jaoquin de Masse

Hotshot

Freebooter
Storm Modder
This is the guy you get while doing the "help the church" side quest, and as you can see in the picture, I can't really talk with him to let him go:
src.jpg

What's the console command to remove an officer?

Thanks!

Just to be sure, are you already finished with his sidequests?
If I recall, he may also play a part in the Strange Things Going on in the Archipelago one.
Maybe @Grey Roger, @Talisman or @ANSEL could confirm on that though.

If you are indeed finished, I think the best solution is to give him the "generic officer dialog".
Then you can choose to keep him and put him to use or to let him go.

As I recall, Jaoquin de Masse does not appear during "Help the Church". That quest just involves you going to Bridgetown, talking to various people about Father Jerald's alleged naughtiness with the tavern girl, then reporting back to Father Bernard in Port Royale / Kingston. Jaoquin de Masse joins you part way through "Strange Things Going On in the Archipelago", though he serves no critical role apart from being a reasonably competent fighter. Often when I'm playing this quest I don't even have him active. He can be useful as a commander of a companion ship, especially if you're not expecting that ship to do anything other than follow you to the next port and be sold.

Looking through some code, Jaoquin De Masse may be of more significance if you're playing the variant of "Strange Things Going On" which is a part of the "Hoist The Colours" storyline.

If you really want to get rid of him, you could take away his sword, give him something minimal such as a dagger, then get into a fight (random jungle bandits or boarding an enemy ship) and let him get himself killed. Or put him in charge of a ship and then berth it somewhere, then you can get him back again if you change your mind.

To get rid of Jaoquin de Masse through console:
Code:
       SetCharacterRemovable(characterFromID("Jaoquin De Masse"), true);
       RemoveOfficersIndex(pchar, GetCharacterIndex("Jaoquin De Masse"));
       RemovePassenger(pchar, characterFromID("Jaoquin De Masse"));
The first line probably isn't needed - if you can assign and de-assign Jaoquin De Masse then he's already removable. The second line probably isn't needed if you don't have him as an active companion. The third line is the one which kicks him off your ship for good.

Alternatively, use:
Code:
ch = CharacterFromID("Jaoquin De Masse");
ch.Dialog.Filename = "Enc officer_dialog.c";
ch.Dialog.CurrentNode = "hired";
Since I'm writing from memory (again), you may want to double-check the name of that dialog file.

This should set him to "regular" officer who you can talk to. Then you can fire him the normal way if you so choose.
Probably a good idea to add this to the actual sidequest code as well for the next update.

The first line probably isn't needed
Indeed if you're removing a character, I think that "removable" status gets bypassed anyway so it is indeed superfluous.
Might be useful though if he's "locked into your shore party" and you want to keep him, but not in your shore party.

i have 2 ways of getting rid of unwanted officers.
One time one of my officers mutined and i managed to regain the ship and had a parlez with said officer. i took them back but i was angry with them, so i took a long walk in the jungle.
On another occasion i noticed a "unnamed coward" on one of my ships. they had no portrait nor "body skin" when i went to shore with them. so i commandered a ship and gave it to the coward and told him to attack an enemy fort and i watched at a safe distance, problem solved.
For the last little while i been sort of trying to get Rhys Bloom killed. most times it giving him a ship when im out numbered and having him help , but to my surprise he always comes through. so i take him back and let god have the ship.

I know the "unnamed coward" is a bug but the method worked

Scourage of the Seven Seas

Pete

I've always wanted to see quest officers get the "generic officer dialog" when their quests are over.
The coding required for that is not very difficult; it is merely these lines of code for each case:
Code:
Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Jaoquin De Masse")].Filename = "Enc officer_dialog.c";
Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Jaoquin De Masse")].CurrentNode = "hired";

It does require intimate knowledge of the quests though to know at which spot to actually add those lines.
I don't have time to figure that out (and it is really only time you need), so I would very much welcome someone else stepping in there.
That would definitely alleviate a lot of these issues and would allow you to just fire them like you normally would.

I know the "unnamed coward" is a bug but the method worked
If that still happens even with all latest fixes, please report it as a bug along with all specifics of when it happened as possible.
As far as I know, that should no longer be happening.

As far as I can tell, De Masse truly does not do anything outside the Jack Sparrow storyline, so in quests_side.c add the lines marked PB:
Code:
    case "masse_becomes_officer":
       AddQuestRecord("ANIMISTS", 24);
       AddPassenger(pchar, characterFromID("Jaoquin de masse"), 0);
       Characters[getCharacterIndex("Jaoquin de masse")].location = "none";
       Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Jaoquin de masse")].Filename = "Enc officer_dialog.c"; // PB
       Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Jaoquin de masse")].CurrentNode = "hired"; // PB
       LAi_SetStayType(characterFromID("father Bernard"));
     break;

The Jack Sparrow storyline has its own copy of that quest case, so this should not break that storyline.

Back