• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

GOF 1.0 Captains Log

Luke159

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
Ok here is my play through from GOF 1.0, this is not a presentation for GOF. I will start with trading and as you can see from the game settings enabled their is a new one their which changes the goods weights from stock to more realistic value's which in turn reduces what your ship can carry which again increases the difficulty in making money fast. So to present the weight changes and how much more difficult it is to make money i give to you log book like enteries which show the amount of goods tyo deliver and how much i got for that delivery. This will change later on from your log enteries for all things to just the important things, but i hope from the first few months you can see how i struggled to make money and it was not till the end when i captured the Schooner that money started to come in faster. But thats for two reasons which you will read about in the log enteries. So i have made my game more difficult by reducing talent, this does drastically effect how quick you gain experience i am in May now and still i am only rank 1. This means i reliy on my officer's which is what i wanted, in real life a captain mayb have been a multi tasker but could he really influence the speed of the ship more so than any officer onboard, i would expect the captain to know how to sail but i would expect the officer who is assigned that role to be better at it. I guess its like your captain can reduce the amount of people hurt durring battle but a doctor should be even better because your captain can't be a doctory, navigator, gunner, carpenter etc etc all at once. So this makes the game more realistic and much harder, because till i get a doctor i will take her loses in battles than the ship i am attacking.

My House rules
Can't purchase a ship till i am rank 5 (currently i am still rank 1)
Increase the difficulty in which experience is gained. (this is through the character's personal profil, ie talent).
Can't sell any ships other than my starting ship (did that now)

Captain: Red Leg Greaves
Difficulty: Captain
Experience Gain Slider: set to far left (minimum experience gain)
Encounter's: Frequently
Battle types: Tactical
Game settings enabled: RTBL, realistic weather, realistic weights, realistic ship purchase, realistic ship encounters.

Hi my name is Captain Greaves, we had been sailing back from Bermuda after purchasing some goods to sell at Basse-Terre but as we neared the island of Nevis we was attacked by a fleet of Pirates. Durring the escape our captain was killed and i took the helm, our only means for escape was out to sea because the pirates was blocking us from sailing into Nevis or passing them to head towards Basse-Terre. We had to accept we had no alternatives but to head towards Port Royal and hopefully be able to loose them but that was not the case, it was not till we arrived near Port Royal that the pirates turned and sailed away. It was here at Port Royal that the crew decided i should take command, so here i stand captain of the Wind Chaser. A Bermuda Sloop, with 8 4Ibs cannons. Bellow is my details and the ship details.

Jan 3rd 1665
Because of the dramatic problems we have had, loosing our captain, been forced to sail to Port Royal it is obvious that we should sell the cargo we picked up from Bermuda at a larger profit. It turns out that Cacao is listed as contraband at Port Royal, the smugglers though seem more than interested in purchasing it all from us. After selling the Cacao to the smugglers i visited the shipyard and had the ship fixed and hired some crew. We have been tasked in delivering 70 units of Cinnamon to Port Of Spain.

Jan 14th 1665
We arrived at Port Of Spain and recieved 1, 232 peices of eight for the Cinnamon we was tasked with delivering here. In turn we have been tasked with delivering 4,011 units of grapeshots to Sain John's.

Jan 21 1665
Delivered Grapeshots to Saint John's for 2,607 peices of eight. After spending a few day's in port due to no work, we have been tasked with delivering 1,812 units of rations to Bridgetown.

Feb 3rd 1665
It was early hours of Feb 2nd we arrived at port, stopping the night we unloaded the cargo the following day and recieved 1, 206 peices of eight. We are tasked with the delivery of 1,744 units of chainshot to Port Of Spain.

Feb 4th 1665
The wind was with us all the way for once and because of that we made it to Port Of Spain in a day. We recieved 2,680 peices of eight for the cargo, it was here that we hired a officer to fill the role as treasurer for 5,440 peices of eight. Bellow is his details. We are also tasked with the delivery of 3835 units of grapeshots to be delivered to Port-Au-Prince. We will seee now if this treasurer is worth that large sum of money i paid for him.

Feb 18th 1665
We inally arrived at Port-Au-Prince and recieved 3,868 pieces of eight for the delivery of cargo. I decided it might be best to have a fighter onboard just in case we are ever in a position where we are boarded, he cost us 2,950 peices of eight. His details are bellow. We are tasked with the delivery of 3,645 units of exploding shot to Basse-Terre.

Feb 26th 1665
We arrived at Basse-Terre and delivered the the cargo which we recieved 2,212 peices of eight, it does look like this treasurer is proving to be worth it. We have been tasked with delivering 89 units of silk to Port Royal.

Feb 28th 1665
We have just paid the crew their wages which cost us 5,929 peices of eight.

March 5th 1665
We arrived at Port Royal and delivered the cargo for which we recieved 2,884 peices of eight. On March 15th we was tasked with delivering 3,337 units of exploding shot to Fort de France.

March 19th 1665
We recieved 3,363 peices of eight for the cargo. While we waited for work we hired a officer to fill the role for navigator, his details are bellow. On March 22nd we was tasked with the delivery of 1,750 units of rations to Basse-Terre.

March 25 1665
We arrived at Basse-Terre and recieved 3,185 peices of eight for the cargo. March 27th, we was tasked with delivering 87 units of canvas to Charlestown.

March 30th 1665
We recieved 3,515 peices of eight from delivering the cargo to Charlestown. April 8th, we are tasked with the delivery of 1465 units of cannon balls to Fort De France.

April 12th 1665
We arrived at Fort De France where we recieved 3,352 peices of eight for the cargo. In the tavern we found a officer willing to join the crew for 3,620 peices of eight, his details are bellow and will fill the role of second fighter. April 15th we was tasked with the delivery of 1699 units of rations to Bridgetown.

April 19th 1665
We recieved 3,085 peices of eight for the delivering the goods to Bridgetown. We purchased 41 units of Sandalwood for 4,264 peices of eight, its our intentions to start purchasinmg goods to sell and hope to make larger profits at least while we have a ship with such a small cargohold. We hired a new officer to fill the final role as fighter, he cost us 3,630 peices of eight. His details are bellow.

April 21st 1665
We arrived at Fort De France and recieved 6,804 peices of eight for selling 41 units of Sandalwood. Because we had a pirate ship chassing us we also hired some more crew in the hope we could capture ourselves a new ship which would allow us to carry more cargo. Just as we left Bridgetown we had a Spanish ship attack us, we captured her and took the Bermuda Sloop (our old ship) back to port to sell, and to sell all goods we did not need aboard the Schooner, our new ship. Ship fetails bellow. We recieved 7,318 peices of eight for our old ship, we now need crew after loosing 43 crew in the boarding fight. Luckily no officer's died, they will no doubt require more medicine's cures now though.

Stay tuned for more from GOF 1.0
Luke.

April 21st 1665
We arrived at Fort De France and recieved 6,804 peices of eight for selling 41 units of Sandalwood. Because we had a pirate ship chassing us we also hired some more crew in the hope we could capture ourselves a new ship which would allow us to carry more cargo. Just as we left Bridgetown we had a Spanish ship attack us, we captured her and took the Bermuda Sloop (our old ship) back to port to sell, and to sell all goods we did not need aboard the Schooner, (our new ship). Ship details bellow. We recieved 7,318 peices of eight for our old ship, we now need crew after loosing 43 crew in the boarding fight. Luckily no officer's died, they will no doubt require more medicine's cures now though.

May 4th 1665
After capturing the Schooner we was ready to start making larger profits and get a stable finacial porition only we was attacked by a Spanish ship, the Sophie. Well we couldn't give up on the prospect of having a better ship so we boarded and captured the Sophie (ship details bellow). Making the Sophie our flag ship and head to port to decide if we should do with the Schooner, in the end i decided the Sophie had more going for her and sank the Schooner after selling all cargo onboard.

May 21st 1665
Not far from Port Royal we came across a French merchant under attack from a pirate, been the gentalmen i am. I decided to help out, the pirate ship was a Sophie. Well i like this ship so why not start a fleet of my own. So we attacked the pirates. Putting ourselves between the French merchants and the pirates, the last thing we wanted was the pirates to board the merchanr Brig and sink the Sophie which they might have done to try and escape. Some pictures from the start of the battle, followed by the Sophie's details.

May 23rd 1665
After spending the night at Port Royal we awoke to find a lovely young lady sitting in the tavern. as we got talking she announced she was getting ready to set sail later that day, she told me she was the captain of a Light Cutter so i asked if she would like to join my fleet where she would captain a Sophie. She jumped at the chance and that was that. Her ship. Her details are bellow.

Tune in for more from GOF soon. :dance

Back