• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Bug GoF! 1.2 ship.dll CTD

Lukovsky

Landlubber
Hello everyone!

First of all, I know that this problem has been discussed before, but there is something that came to my mind while going through the latest pages of COAS Mods threads. Just to be clear - I'm talking about the crashes in the later stage of the game when big ships start to appear on the battlefields.

What I have noticed is that the problem probably doesn't concern everyone. There are threads with people describing different problems (not related to that one), and some of them are probably at much later stage of the game than I am, and somehow they manage to play. My question is, how?
I'm totally newbie if it comes to modding and all that stuff, so maybe I'm wrong, but is there any chance that replacing ship.dll file from someone without that problem could fix it? I know it sounds weird, but I read before about people downloading and installing the game multiple times to get rid of some bugs, so..

Anyway, like I said in the 'Mod release' thread.. the GoF! mod is simpy amazing and I know that all of the modders have put a lot of hard work into it, so it would be such a shame not to be able to play it (I mean, playing without battles would be.. uh..)

PS I'm downloading GoF 1.1 now, can someone tell me if that bug appears there? I also tried PotC New Horizons, but.. either it's very buggy (walking through walls etc.) or I downloaded some broken version (my CD is almost 9 years old and it's 'working' time has gone long ago..)

Cheers!

I'm afraid this problem isn't just confined to the ships.dll

I will eventually get around to asking to look at the source and running this down, but will not have time for a while. Hopefully in a few months.

Even as stable as I've got the eras mod working I still get some crashes in big battles. Not nearly as bad as 1.2 though.

MK

Hello everyone!
First of all, I know that this problem has been discussed before, but there is something that came to my mind while going through the latest pages of COAS Mods threads. Just to be clear - I'm talking about the crashes in the later stage of the game when big ships start to appear on the battlefields.
I'm at the 8 mission in the pirate quest, and I had my first CTD.
The dinamic of the CDT is similar to the one you reported here:
I've a Frigate (C4) and a Ann's Queen Revenge (C4);
Enemy have two 3rd class ships.

After a while, when I'm aproching an enemy ships, in the moment that it open fire: CTD.

I'm afraid that the problem is starting also for me.

I'm not sure if the CTD problem is gone, btw, I set the Safe Mode = ON, from the Configuration.exe and my problem are solved.

Safe Mode
When checked, the game set a lower priority for audio processing. This is useful for trouble shooting audio issues.

That is a fantastic idea! I wish I had thought of that a long time back, because as I've said in several other threads, I think part of our CTD problem is definitely related to sound. I set my config to safe mode now as well. I will see how it does this weekend. I think I'm gonna have a whole day to play.

MK

Hello.

Well i got this save game ( http://freakshare.com/files/wgwnjf2s/Pelayo-Cuba---Sea-1.html ) it crashes every time that I load it.

It started crashing when i tried to board the wydah so i boarded every other ship and tried to destroy it, but it crashed after the mast went down. i got to save right before it did, i was trying to get a save that always crashed so u could test it with diferent options, i dont know nothing beyond the config.ini so ill work on that but if anyone gets to finish this battle, u may be doing something right that u could share with the community.

this are my selected mods besides what comes when u install god 1.2 and the patch 1.0

- retroactive perks
- realistic costs
- less powered skill books

also i turned on safe mode and i got post prossecing on
i run the game at 1366x768 res (i dont know if it matters )

thats about it.

Hope its usefull.

Thanks for a great game and ur efforts on improving it :D

i dont know nothing beyond the config.ini so ill work on that but if anyone gets to finish this battle, u may be doing something right that u could share with the community.
Hi Larva,

You don't need to change the config.ini manually. Just go on the game folder and run the Config.exe.
A application should be opend. Just check the "Safe mode" option and the "Save" button.
Load your game and wishing well.

I can confirm that untill now I have no problem with battle between my 3d class ships vs enemy's 2th and 3d class ships.

also i turned on safe mode and i got post prossecing on
i run the game at 1366x768 res (i dont know if it matters )
I forgot to read this on your post. So it didn't solve the CTD problem, is it?

some vessels produce ctd when they lose a mast in general if you hear a beep sound the ship you are facing or is near you has a couple of bugs or just one bug that can be:

-ship is close to invulnerable
-a ship that ctd your game if lose a mast
-higher % of a crash in general, I suppose

I tested pretty much all ships at gof v1.1 eventhough that test is a little outdated due to updates I'm not sure all trouble ships are fixed or replaced.

For me the "Safe mode" doesn't do anything still got sound issues and random ctd's if i'm lucky i can play for 1 hour and bang, so save often is all you can do i'm afraid.

Back