• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release GOF Historical Eras Module #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
True not a saint but most pirate historians agree he was a good natured man.Remember a lot of sailors turned to piracy
as a way of getting back at their former masters who for the most part owed them money and treated them abominably.
I would like to see him in game and MK has stated that he will include him in the next release of GOF Historical Eras Module.
He is ranked as number twelve in Forbes Top-Earning Pirates.
http://www.forbes.com/2008/09/18/top-earning-pirates-biz-logistics-cx_mw_0919piracy.html

The updated wikipedia article looks good Lindley. :onya

He is coming along nicely. Remember he got his start in the Caribbean and Nassau so in my mind he was there and you could have stumbled upon him in a Caribbean tavern prior to 1719 - before he headed to Africa and the East. Here is another of the late hold outs that refused Woodes Rodger's pardon and "got the hell outa Dodge". :sail

MK

The updated wikipedia article looks good Lindley. :onya

He is coming along nicely. Remember he got his start in the Caribbean and Nassau so in my mind he was there and you could have stumbled upon him in a Caribbean tavern prior to 1719 - before he headed to Africa and the East. Here is another of the late hold outs that refused Woodes Rodger's pardon and "got the hell outa Dodge". :sail

MK

Thanks MK.
It will be great to see him in the game.

Mr Seegar never took the Royal Pardon with Woodes Rogers and co. Privateers had the marque and many also where commisioned and legally bound(although many did commit henious crimes and barbarity)piracy can't be condoned,although the so called gentlemen of luck so forced by circumstance to turn to piracy or had to for some reason.Obviously we enjoy playing being a pirate in this games but the reality of a real pirate,that was a life of an outlaw full of danger. Not writing on real privateers and commisioned corsairs,many who acted like the outlaw pirates and sanctioned by some government to do their bidding.Was this a righteous act? Don't know but this crowns did'nt complain at the harm done to the enemy and gold coming in. Not much mention of Hawkins and Morgan this 2 privateers being most cruel and driven to their aims. Don't see why Edward can't be included in the game as other European pirates who operated in other theatres,as it can for game sakes an alternative history scenario,you yourselves wish to play and be the character.

You will find at that time a lot of the so called representatives of decent society were not much better that the men they condemned as pirates.
James Macrae became the governor of Madras in 1725 & remained so until 1730. During that time he collected 800,000 in bribe money.
http://www.stcroix-beaches.com/Edward-England.html

I recommend this book :http://www.amazon.co.uk/Villains-All-Nations-Atlantic-Pirates-ebook/dp/B004OR1M0C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388676517&sr=8-2&keywords=villains of all nations

A Happy New Year to all.

Last edited:
Specifically registered to thank the author for the work done!
Big respect!:thumbs1

Thanks Mate

So let me tell you a little more what I'm doing on Edward England. I managed to find a beautiful new model for Blackbeard that a Russian modder made that looks just like him (not the POTC movie Blackbeard - the real historical Blackbeard). So the Mad Jack (Johnny Depp) model that I'm using for Blackbeard is going to become Edward England. That model had REALLY BAD textures so is currently receiving a complete overhaul. You won't even recognize it when I'm finished.

I have three new Characters including England going into Patch 1. There are also three new ships. Also there will be some new crew models. In addition, all the quest bugs will be fixed. There may be a new location on Dominica as well. Working hard to get it done in the next week. If anyone has any other character ideas let me know.

MK

Thanks Mate

So let me tell you a little more what I'm doing on Edward England. I managed to find a beautiful new model for Blackbeard that a Russian modder made that looks just like him (not the POTC movie Blackbeard - the real historical Blackbeard). So the Mad Jack (Johnny Depp) model that I'm using for Blackbeard is going to become Edward England. That model had REALLY BAD textures so is currently receiving a complete overhaul. You won't even recognize it when I'm finished.

I have three new Characters including England going into Patch 1. There are also three new ships. Also there will be some new crew models. In addition, all the quest bugs will be fixed. There may be a new location on Dominica as well. Working hard to get it done in the next week. If anyone has any other character ideas let me know.

MK

Sounds great MK as far as I am aware no physical description of Edward England exists.
However I think this would be a good likeness:http://www.amazon.com/Lithograph-Captain-England-Portrait-Cassandra/dp/B007SSZ0XE
My profile picture is taken from another likness of England.
I like the fact that you will feature the real historical Blackbeard not the POTC movie one.
The POTC movies in my opinion were just one big advertisement for a Disneyland ride.

Just my two cents worth on other character ideas:http://latinamericanhistory.about.com/od/historyofthecaribbean/a/Biography-Of-Edward-Low.htm
http://latinamericanhistory.about.com/od/historyofthecaribbean/a/Biography-Of-Howell-Davis.htm
And the big cheese:http://latinamericanhistory.about.com/od/historyofthecaribbean/a/Biography-Of-Charles-Vane.htm

Well, I have read about pirates since my childhood, since I live in the Caribbean area. For now, the website that I think is the most updated in Pirates, corsairs, explorers and privateers is the following:
http://www.thepirateking.com/bios/index.htm
I am from Puerto Rico island, and yes, we had a pirate legend here also, Mr. Roberto Cofresi. Keep the good work here up.

Well, I have read about pirates since my childhood, since I live in the Caribbean area. For now, the website that I think is the most updated in Pirates, corsairs, explorers and privateers is the following:
http://www.thepirateking.com/bios/index.htm
I am from Puerto Rico island, and yes, we had a pirate legend here also, Mr. Roberto Cofresi. Keep the good work here up.

I have looked at that website and others to include Paulines and the reenactment community websites as well. Generally I'm not that impressed because the bios are really short and usually barely scratch the surface. I much prefer my large collection of books for content.

As far as Puerto Ricans are concerned, I did include a famous Puerto Rican pirate already. Have you seen this guy? MK

start_140104_1650295.JPG

I have looked at that website and others to include Paulines and the reenactment community websites as well. Generally I'm not that impressed because the bios are really short and usually barely scratch the surface. I much prefer my large collection of books for content.

As far as Puerto Ricans are concerned, I did include a famous Puerto Rican pirate already. Have you seen this guy? MK

View attachment 14447

Sure, we had 2 pirates here, Henriquez and Cofresi, but was Francis Drake who attacked most our coast. Great pirates and privateers. MK, Thanks for your outstanding work, at least I can play this game without annoying interruptions. Keep the good work, mate!

I looked up Confresi because I never heard of him but he was way passed the Golden age of pirates so wouldn't work for MK's Era 2. What about it MK? Are you planning to put a few pirates in Eras 3? You could have Confresi and Jean Lafitte and there probably are a couple more from that later time...

I looked up Confresi because I never heard of him but he was way passed the Golden age of pirates so wouldn't work for MK's Era 2. What about it MK? Are you planning to put a few pirates in Eras 3? You could have Confresi and Jean Lafitte and there probably are a couple more from that later time...

Yeah, Confresi will not be used in Mod2 as he's out of period. For Mod3 (1776-1815) timeframe - I was not planning on having any pirates at all. I have made all pirates Americans.

IF (big if) I can figure out how the Russians implemented multiple flags in PO:TEHO (need English version to be released with program files frankly) then it would be possible to make individual NPC characters pirates. I would still have to give them a faction (so USA) but they would fly a pirate flag. (EDIT: actually there are no more than 5 half significant pirates I could identify from this time. I could actually assign different nationalities to each character, but you wouldn't know where their loyalty is because they would fly the black flag. This way American characters could hunt the VERY RARE pirate characters out there as well.)

The other thing is that if I can figure this out I could give individual pirates their correct historical flags in Mod2 as well.

UPDATE on PATCH 1:

I have successfully imported two of the three new characters and all of the new ships. I have fixed the individual characters not spawning that broke quests and confirmed they are working again. I am currently working on restoring the populations in the villages.

I still am working off the list of errors/bugs that you guys (the players) have found and adding the new crews. I am still working on the Dominica Pirate Haven town. I'm going to leave the new flag code and lower decks for Patch2 I think.

Once Patch 1 is out I am going to begin recruiting a new Eras Mod team. Along with this recruitment will be a list of improvements and work items needing to be done for both Module2 and Module3. Individuals can then sign up to try to solve those problems that they are interested in and get help from the rest of the team and/or others if they get stumped. We will start appropriate topics on each improvement as I have done in the Storm Coding section if they are hard nuts to crack. In the case of lower boarding decks - that is a topic that is already present.

To make things even more interesting (especially for young coders that might want some extra dough) I am going to add cash incentives for each improvement. Many people here can tell you I am good and l keep my word concerning money paid. I have paid for work before. However, I will never again pay for work up front as that has not worked out for me in the past. I will only pay rewards for verified and completed work.

Stand by for more updates to come in the next few days....

MK

start_130214_1454140.jpg
start_130214_1458578.jpg
start_130214_1708428.jpg

Last edited:
Many pirates in this era did privateer for Colombia,Cartagena,the Central American State republic or just for any of Bolivarian revolutioneers including the Rio Plata republic and many others plus haiti was indie too. Indeed it was quite perilous time to be a pirate with no marque or commision in one's navy or privateer fleet.Lefeat himself worked for both sides and also had Cartagena papers during the early 180o's. That's going to be a lot of work to make that era playable. Where i live we had the odd Cornish pirate and some Irish renegades but for that the many barbary and algerine pirates and some Spanish privateers.Indeed Gibraltar was attacked in force by Barbarossa(Al Djazair)and it was quite a successful raid,so much that Charles the Vth had to commision an italian to design and engineer a wall going up the rock and dividing North from South. Piracy in the area was quite frequent all the way till the Americans defeated Tripoli but some Barbary pirates did work for Spain and France against Britain and Portugal in the late 1790 to 1808 period. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_pirates

See when the update is available,please let me know? Thought i had fixed that problem with the boarding but for some reason it popped again,specially with the new ships included and the speak to surrender option thing. Again the game is good and new stuff is cool but these glitches do frustate.See if there is a way to fix so articles can be signed with crew. If you need my help anyhow,let me know? I might post those ogg music files mostly from the chieftains and their treasure island 1990 soundtrack.

I'd be glad to help once the patch is out... yet the only thing I've ever been programming with was qbasic and some C and LOGO from school. And some modding to Paradox Interactive games (but those are rather easily modded, so nothing special either)

See when the update is available,please let me know? Thought i had fixed that problem with the boarding but for some reason it popped again,specially with the new ships included and the speak to surrender option thing. Again the game is good and new stuff is cool but these glitches do frustate.See if there is a way to fix so articles can be signed with crew.

Maybe you put the file in the wrong place????????? I have had numerous reports from people that have put the new LAi_Boarding file into the game. They all say the problem is completely fixed. I myself have played my beta game up to level 29 using every class of ships up to 1st raters and attacking every class of ship and have not had one occurrence of a boarding or surrender problem. The only time a boarding issue will still occur is in one situation only and that has already been recorded in the known mod bugs since initial release: In this one instance if you decide not to join another pirate in his venture and he decides to kill you - after you defeat his crew and get back to your own ship you can't board his ship....that is the only time this will happen and the only boarding related bug still present. Also it doesn't happen 100 percent of the time in this case either.

At the bottom of the first mod Announcement post at the very beginning of this thread topic is the new LAi_boarding file.

You must download the new file. Then put the new file in Program\loc_ai folder and replace the existing LAi_boarding file. Then you must start a new game for it to work properly. The new ships have nothing whatsoever to do with this code. The game looks at ships as ships - not as old or newer ships.

As far as pirates for Mod3 go I sort of look at it from a standpoint of frequency of encounter. Please note that I haven't done the exact research on this so I will take a "best guess" based on my excellent knowledge of the subject. However if I were to graph this - this is how I would do it.

Frequency of Pirate Encounters in the Caribbean:

1585-1648 one ship out of every 60 encountered

1649-1688 one ship out of every 30 encountered

1689-1705 one ship out of every 100 encountered

1706-1725 one ship out of every 75 encountered

1726-1753 one ship out of every 400 encountered

1754-1775 one ship out of every 800 encountered

1776-1815 one ship out of every 1200 encountered

Now you can see this from my point of view and why I love the Golden Age so much more.

I would also add for the skeptic to consider that the amount of commercial sea traffic increased by hundred of times from the beginning of my graph to its end. Consider historically that 80% of the carrying trade belonged to Dutch interests from about 1640 to 1710. The amount of goods and ships did not decrease for the Dutch, but consider they only possessed about 40% of the worlds carrying trade by 1750.

The Navigation Acts that the English Parliament had enacted to limit Dutch trade (and were a major cause of the commerce wars of the 17th century) were now changed in the 18th century to begin putting limitations - not on the Dutch anymore - but their own Yankee subjects in North America. By the 1760s the Yankee shipyards and traders possessed themselves of around 30 percent of the worlds ships and between 30 to 40 percent of the world's trade. That is incredible. With thousands of more ships on the seas, and thousands of good paying jobs for honest seamen, you automatically have far fewer pirates as a result.

The pirates that were left in this late era often had some kind of cause they were fighting for rather than simply wanting as much Spanish treasure as they could find and stuff their pockets with. Sanctioned privateers fighting for embattled nation's navies during wartime were now the commercial ship's greatest dread. Quite frankly, Pirates were a quaint and passe oddity by 1800 with way more stories told about them than actual pirates existed.

The only pirates going into ERAs Mod3 will be ones that have a good real and historical bio. I am open to suggestions but will only consider pirates that were in the Caribbean at the time. I will not include smugglers, river robbers, highwaymen, captains that failed to take even one prize or men that were accused of piracy with no proof of the acts. This doesn't leave us with very many actual historical candidates for the late period which was my point really. We have Cofresi, the Lafitte brothers, Louis Michel-Aury, Henri Ceasar, and Sam Hall Lord. Please give me more names so I can learn...

@dimovski: your help is appreciated mate. Once I have the developmental task list created, if there is something on that list that you would like to tackle, I will give you that task to try to complete and the rest of us will help you according to our abilities.

I am more than willing to entertain new suggestions on music for Mod 3 but wanted to go with Eric Horngold style music, some movie soundtrack clips and later classical pieces, as well as way more sea shanties which had become much more common by this time.

MK

MK,

LONG post.

Found yet another THREE BUGS, when I was finishing the actual CoAS "Isle of Justice" quest-line over the last few days. However, I now have an update to solve the last problem.

First is a minor graphic issue. SOLVED.
The second is much more serious and is completely game breaking. UNRESOLVED.
The third is related to the second problem. SOLVED.

Its unlikely that many people have seen these to errors because they are so late in the game.

BUG #1 - Maxim Taylor Model (SOLVED)

Maxim Taylor wireframe (from Tartarus Prison, Alice Taylor CoAS side-quest) and texture models are the original from the game in 2009.
Distorted graphics texture over gm wireframe model.

Here is a screenshot (after the quest is completed and he resides in the Ceres Smithy):

Max Taylor.jpg

This is a very old graphical error, similiar to the Casper Longmann model upgrade fix (white longcoat) that was done in GOF to fix the Admiral Capper - Ship Fleron "eavesdrop mission" and let you actually see what was going on.
FIX is to replace this model and properly remapped texture file with the "Christopher Condent" character you used for the mod, and everything goes back to normal.

There is really no way to miss this graphical bug, as you have to go to the Tartarus eventually.
You can also revisit the model distortion after you complete the quest at the Ceres Smithy Ship.
Where was the beta tester here?

BUG #2 - CoAS Hurricane BIG STORM Completely Broken (UNRESOLVED)

The BIG STORM at the end of CoAS questline is completely broken (at least on my high end Windows 7 Pro gaming laptop computer, GeForce GTX 675M), as related to quest reaction_function.c file.

Once you try and exit the Tartartus and swim to the Diffindur, the screen locks and you can no longer see your character or even move, but the game is still continues to function normally. It is like the game "loses" your position in world and cannot figure out where you are for proper execution. The waves are defiinately not drawn properly based on the storm engine, and it looks like the storm coding was changed in CoAS from the original game to reduce graphic requirement overhead.

The game is definitely not crashing after I further evaluated in the test mode and you can still reload or save your game...

Here is a screenshot of the error:

Bugged Diffindur Swim.jpg

The "small storm" right up to the point of the final swim when you try to save the mechanic is completely functional with no issues.

I believe is part of the original engine.exe Windows 7 storm bug that reared its ugly head back in 2009.

I have tried to back up the game to a save before the storm (when you report to the Mechanic that all goods on Dog of War is ready) to modify the quest reaction_function.c file to make changes to no avail.

The bug still occurs even if I completely turn off the storm functionality (clear skies in CoAS....)

Did you did something different with the storm generation files than the original released game with the GOF 1.1 mod?

This is a game testing issue that really fell on its face.
I don't think this is a gaming computer issue, because the game continues as if I am ready to do the swim.

The only way I have found to successfully bypass the problem is to tavern warp out of CoAS, as John Workman is already in crew and the Dog of War is completely outfitted.
Then after exiting the respective tavern I sailed BACK to CoAS and when you enter the sea the quest book updates to show that you have successfully escaped the hurricane.
HUZZAH!

Game continues unabated back to World Map and other quests.

This is a VERY NASTY surprise end to a difficult quest.
A good program coder needs to take a close look at this file.
I know this was fixed in one of the GOF releases. Maybe version 2.0.7?

BUG #3 - Letter of Marque / Nations / Port Fast Travel Disabled after CoAS? (SOLVED)

Not a game-breaking bug but somewhat annoying which I solved it by sailing back to CoAS.

If you reequip the letter of marque in the hidden item slot after leaving CoAS (I was originally a pirate at the beginning of the game), everything seems fine.
You go back to being a part of your chosen country with proper rank/privileges.
You are not attacked by your chosen country or if relations are good in respect to chosen nation.

HOWEVER, all FAST TRAVEL is disabled in every port regardless of nationality, even pirate.
This is similar to before you complete the "Holy Candles" quest in CoAS.
This function was working normally BEFORE CoAS.

If you don't re-equip the letter of marque, the problem still occurs.

You can perform all other tasks like interaction, trading items on land with no problems.
You can enter all buildings in towns without issue.
Sea Travel functions and gameplay are unaffected.

Basically, the game still thought I was still in CoAS even though I was not anywhere close.
Weird anomaly, but was tied to the final chapter with the Mechanic and my generated tavern warp out of CoAS bypass the hurricane Diffindur swim bug.

FUNNY UNRELATED SIDE NOTE:

A entertaining coding fact based on the original game for Humphrey Douglas after he joins your crew.

If you try and give Humphrey Douglas another weapon such as a pistol or sword while he assigned as a fighter, he becomes completely invisible (yet completely functional) for the rest of the game, as the animations do not match the model. You can even still trade items and fix the problem, if you can find him, go to a store and manually sell the items, or simply reload a saved game before you made the mistake.

Word to the wise, let him keep his double barrel carbine and nothing else.

Last edited:
MK,

When you get chance, please answer this one question for me regarding world items.
Why did you remove the ARMORED CUIRASSES from the game (I understand about the oddball "suits", which can cause some problems)?
I know that cuirass items are there in the game files and the item quantity is set properly, just not set for world generation.

Cuirasses were used all though this period from before and after the Golden Age of Piracy.
They were particularly common for the "big five" trade nations (England, France, Holland, Spain, Portugal) military for those that could afford one.

It makes the cuirass perk useless, and there is no other means of damage reduction other than a few of the other perks. They cannot be generated in game either.

These items were very useful when you are facing down oponents that are WAY HIGHER in skill level than you particularly early in game.

I remember Edward Low (pirate quest) was Level 40, when I was around Level 14!
Now characters (and keep in mind my XP growth in set to the slowest level, and my difficulty is Admiral) are reaching 65-80, when I am only Level 33.
Without some means of protection, spamming feint, or turning on god mode, the game can become impossible, even for an experienced player.

Just game balance thoughts on the mod.

On the breastplates - Simple answer is that I'm still working on them... along with some other stuff. Even playing with a animated cat that I'm trying to get to sit on the deck. It will get rid of rats like the Rat totem and you will be able to buy the cat at the market - that is if I get it to work right.

I was trying to completely re-balance the complete fighting system to include damage and weapons power. From my testing I have already determined that certain swords are too powerful and that some swords should not be selected as default by nation's soldiers or officers - otherwise already difficult quests become almost impossible. The system I've developed is good and I think better than the original, but it still needs work.

I have added the cuirasses to my list of things needing done. In my spare time I have successfully completed the Dutch and English governor questlines and everything works without a problem. So that's good at least.

Bad news is that I have to travel some more so will be out of the loop for a few weeks. I was hoping to have this patch done, but there is just so much stuff to finish and get in there. Plus I am experiencing a major case of burnout coming on.

The only thing that usually energizes me from these burnout spells is usually something new shared or released to our community - like a new ship... but it doesn't seem like anyone is doing anything these days, so I may be gone a while...

Anyway the patch is delayed. sorry. When I get my feet on solid ground again and recover from this current burnout I will come back.

I always come back. I'm like a bad penny. I can't stay away - but I just can't handle doing anything more with this right now. Its just overwhelming - almost too much to deal with.

MK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back